1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2) Scout needing Totin Chip needs to ask his Patrol Leader (PL) as ever troop does things differently. Some will allow PLs to work with their members and sign off. Some troops only allow older Scouts to sign off. And some only want adults to sign off on stuff.

If attending summer camp for the first time, a Scout is usually in the first year program. It’s common to do totin chip in this program. I worked in a first year program this year. It’s impossible to spend a whole entire day in totin chip, meaning that everybody may not be able to spend a lot of time using all the tools. It also depends how many scouts are there that week. 

If a scout earns their totin chip from summer camp, I suggest you go into more detail and test their skills yourself.

You can earn a totin chip anytime outside of summer camp, and usually is done by a older scout and/or adult.

This is not exactly related to the topic, but hopefully I’ve helped you a little.

Edited by ItsBrian

As a general rule, we try to award Totin Chip well before summer camp. Otherwise, cross-overs would have to wait 4 months to safely handle blades.

Ideally, they would earn it on their first or second campout. That way any abusers of knife and axe safety would be ready to present their card for corner clipping, thus allowing negative reinforcement to have its desired effect prior to the close quarters of summer camp.

bcbro123, "it depends".  It depends on someone....

Someone has to set up the axe yard. Someone needs to provide the tools and bolts of wood.  Someone needs to model good, safe, skilled  behavior.  Someone , experienced in such things, needs to Educate, Demonstrate,  Guide , and Empower the Scouts.  Someone must provide chances, opportunities, to practice their newly acquired skill.  Someone….