Transferring From LDS to Non LDS Unit

I received a call recently from a parent who's son wants to transfer from an LDS troop to our non LDS troop.  The scout and family are actually members of our Catholic parish, but he joined the program with his LDS buddy and has been continuing with them ever since.  When I spoke with the mom, she said there may be  COUPLE OTHER BOYS INTERESTED IN SWITCHING, IT WASN'T CLEAR WHETHER or not they were members of the LDS.

The scout is currently 2nd class.  My understanding is that there are some differences in advancement requirements between LDS and non LDS troops.  Has anyone any experience with this kind of transfer, are there any rules that might govern the transfer of rank and requirements between the troops?

• T2Eagle changed the title to Transferring From LDS to Non LDS Unit

Yes.  I've had some experience here.  There are no requirement differences.  The advancement program is the same.

LDS troop can do things differently, but it's not a formal published difference.  For example, we've had scouts from LDS troops come for an EBOR who are absolutely great kids, great scouts, done cool things, but they might not have a shirt or might not have done patrols or ...  The program can vary greatly.  But this is really true for non-LDS units too.  The simple fact is troops often implement the program very differently.  

I'd focus on helping the scout have a positive, smooth, welcoming transition from the other troop.  No matter how good each troop is, there is often an adjustment.

Only worry about cleaning up advancement requirements or getting them current.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1

As a Latter-day Saint Scouter, I want to confirm that there are NO differences in our advancement requirements; any boys transfering from an LDS unit should be held to the exact same standards as those coming from any other troop. @fred johnson hit the nail right on the head and is absolutely correct. Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

When I spoke with the mom, she said there may be  COUPLE OTHER BOYS INTERESTED IN SWITCHING, IT WASN'T CLEAR WHETHER or not they were members of the LDS.

Regardless of religion, they’ll be able to transfer over the same as @fred johnson described. Just let them know what documentation you accept as authoritative for their advancement records. 

They should also know what your dues are (LDS troops don’t have them).

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

As a Latter-day Saint Scouter, I want to confirm that there are NO differences in our advancement requirements; any boys transfering from an LDS unit should be held to the exact same standards as those coming from any other troop. @fred johnson hit the nail right on the head and is absolutely correct. Hope that helps!

Thanks,

I was misinformed.  There are very few LDS units in our council and none in our district so it's rare that I interact with any scouters from those few units.

I think the biggest challenge will be working with schedules regarding religious obligations. Your troop, or the patrol that the scouts join may have to adjust accordingly, possibly camping from Friday evening until Saturday evening.

On the flip side, one group of guys learning about another group of guys' vision of Duty to God is generally a positive experience for all.

1. Advancement requirements are exactly the same. 
  2. Scouts in LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) units do not pay registration fee, dues, or for most campout costs. 
  3. They are only allowed one fund raiser per year, and there are restrictions on the types. It is not important to know the specifics, but you may want to clarify what the troops does. This may help ease the shock of annual registration fees and unit dues. 
  4. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints troops do not camp on Sundays, therefore the leave camp Saturday night. For those who are not members of the church, the change to camping through Sunday likely won't be an issue, but it may be a problem for members. Talk to the parents
  5. Boys join the troops on their 11th birthday, and become a member on "Eleven year olds" which is basically run as a separate  patrol with limited interaction with the rest of the troops. 
  6. Scouts are only allowed 3 nights of camping while age 11. Eleven year olds can NOT attend summer camp. 
  7. Many boys in Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints troops do not have much experience with the patrol method, or youth leadership. 
  8. Not many Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints troops are involved in Order of the Arrow
  9. Adult leadership in Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints troops are selected and called by the bishop (paster). This means many Scout Leaders do not have a youth in the program and did not volunteer for the position. So you may want to explain your troops needs for parent involvement. 
  10. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints troops are typically quite small with only 1 or 2 patrols. So a troop of 40 or 60 or 100 Boys may be a surprise. 
  11. All boys age 11 to 18 in the church are registered in Boy Scouts, this means a larger percentage are there because they HAVE TO not because they want to. So they me be surprised how engaged your scouts and parents are. 

So there are some differences of which to be aware, and to explain to prospective scouts and parents. But there is nothing too hard to deal with. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

The scout who contacted me came to our meeting tonight, said one of his buddies may also be joining.

Of interest, the scout's mother told me that the reason they want to transfer now is that the troop is folding early, a year before the rest of the LDS troops, because they were going to be part of the pilot program for the new Church youth program.

Edited by T2Eagle
13 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Of interest, the scout's mother told me that the reason they want to transfer now is that the troop is folding early, a year before the rest of the LDS troops, because they were going to be part of the pilot program for the new Church youth program.

That’s the program I’d like to know more about.