What type of award should I apply for my pack leaders?

Hi, I am the Award Chair /Coordinator for our Pack. I  would like to nominate our Webelos Den Leader and Cub Master for some merit awards before they will cross over to Boy Scouts next February. I looked at the Council web site and there are many choices. Between Den Leader Training Award/Unit Leader of Award Merit and our District Rattler Award, which one has higher honor?

I am grateful to have our Cub Master who stepped up 3 years ago (while nobody did) and he has been planning all the Pack meetings, den rotations, hiking/camping & all kinds of activities for our Pack. He is helpful to a lot of parents and supportive to the den leaders. Due to the new BSA policy, our church does not want to sponsor our Pack anymore. Without much support from the Council Executive, he found us a new church (they are ending our sponsorship at the end of this year too).  He is a father of 3, holds a full-time job as a physician and devotes so much time and effort for the scouting. I really think he deserves a merit award at the end of this Cub Scout journey.

Meanwhile, I also appreciate the Webelos II Den Leader  who spends a lot of time, money and effort for his den of 20 scouts. He really makes it fun and disciplines the boys like his own. He is a strong leader and excellent role model for the boys. He organized several service projects for our Pack and put on a lot of positive energy to his den (that's why it attracts so many new scouts over the years). 

I would like to know which award is better fit for their positions and contributions, thanks!

Edited by jsychk
  • Like 1

There is no "higher honor;" the awards you mention are all nice but you should be looking for an award that fits their accomplishments, not whichever is the "most prestigious" or "higher" award. Also remember that most of these awards are offered by your local council upon meeting specific qualifications. One is not "nominated" for the awards; the candidate must meet certain criteria which are reviewed by a council officer or committee. 

Your Cubmaster may be qualified to earn the Unit Leader Award of Merit; you can google the application and check if he does. He may also qualify for the Scouter's Key Award or the Scouter's Training Award for Cub Scouting; again. google the applications and see if he qualifies. If he does, the form needs to be completed exactly and honestly, signed by the appropriate leaders, and then submitted to your local council office.

Your Webelos Leader may qualify for the Den Leader Training Award; the requirements are very specific so go over the application carefully to make sure he meets all the terms of the award. He may also qualify for the Scouter's Training Award for Cub Scouting. In either case, you may need to talk with your leaders to verify that all conditions have been met before submitting the signed form to your council office.

I am not familiar with your "District Rattler Award," but as it is clearly awarded at the district level you will have to look into it yourself to see if he qualifies.

You are fortunate to have such committed leaders; hopefully some of the awards mentioned will fit the nature of their efforts. And remember, even if they don't qualify, you can always find other means to honor them that are just as meaningful. The Scout Store sells numerous lovely plaques, or you can even get a local craftsman to create something. Posters or cards signed by the Scouts and parents are always meaningful, as are nice sculptures or framed mementos. The further outside the box you look, the more meaningful your ideas may become. I hope some of this helps!

• Upvote 3

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I have checked their requirements. Both leaders are qualified for either Den Leader Training Award/Unit Leader of Award Merit or our District Rattler Award (that requires a more personal written recommendation from the nominator but I can do that myself). I heard the District Rattler Award has only 20 spots each year, which is more "valuable." Yes, when the Pack/Den leaders cross over, one usually gets some plagues or makes walking sticks as an appreciation gift.  I do see that Unit Leader Award of Merit is required to be submitted by the Committee Chair. I am not sure if she will do that because she is new to our Pack. Also, I kinda want it as a surprise for both leaders. I feel that they are quite ready to cross over next February...in my 7 years of being with the cub scout, I found that the dedicated leaders are usually burned out after 3 or 4 years. 

Not specifically what you asked, but you should be checking to see if any other den leaders also qualify for the den leader training award and or the scouters training award. Assuming the District Rattler Award is what comes up with a google, I would nominate the CM for that as well. The committee that decides such things can only say no. The committee chair should also be signing that stuff as part of their position.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jsychk said:

... I heard the District Rattler Award has only 20 spots each year, which is more "valuable." 

No award is more "valuable." Any and all awards have equal significance within the sphere of influence they honor or recognize. Yes, that recognition may be nice for some, but again, if you are trying to find out which award carries more clout, you are missing the point. First of  all, leaders shouldn't serve for the 'honors of men,' and second, there are no ranks nor tiers of honor among BSA leaders, nor amongst the honors given them. There is only one "rank" that supersedes any others - the rank of Eagle Scout. So don't try and give the "highest" or most "valuable" award. ALL awards carry equal value according to the measure of the service given. Whatever award you manage to secure for them, its value will depend on the meaning you and your Pack put behind it, not in any artificial hierarchy of honor proposed to be inherent to the award itself. 

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 3