Is there a way for a grubmasterto be reimbursed without them having a recipt?

A scout is trustworthy. Explain to them what happened and give them an honest assessment of what you paid. If you used a credit card you should be able to show the charge. If the store is willing to do the search they might be able to reproduce the receipt. But if none of these work you're left with the trust you have with the folks in the unit. It's a test - for all of you. Plus you have the food. If the pricing is on it you can just add it up. 

Edited by packsaddle
  • Like 1

@RennyTompson welcome to the forums!

Every troop has different rules. Patrols within a troop have different rules sometimes. So a talk with your PL/SM will probably resolve this.

What I would do: in my field notes (one that wasn't ruined in the wash), I would make a list of each thing I bought, how much, and the cost. If I can't remember the cost of each thing, I would just note the total at the bottom. I could always go back to the store and get the price. Then I sign my name and date. My buddies usually accept scouts' honor as they happily consume the shrimp scampi and fettuccini Alfredo that I've prepared for them.

Back in the day, we would have a standard "fee" for the weekend, say $5 for example.  Collect the money up front a week before the campout.  Take the cash with you to the store...that's all you have to work with.  Sometimes the whole patrol would go shopping...and we learned how to comparison shop, budget our money, and not buy things we couldn't afford.

Absolutely, @RennyTompson! You're still going to have to talk to someone about this and I think you're really worried about this. It's going to be fine. We all make mistakes. Life is not so much about not having problems but how you deal with those problems. You're trying hard to make this right. That's a great way to deal with the problem.

53 minutes ago, RennyTompson said:

Would it be okay if I created a document with the list of things I was asked to buy, the prices of those items at HEB, a screenshot of the website showing how much it costs, and the total amount?

I would accept something like that.

You are not the first grubmaster to to lose/wash a receipt, and I can pretty much guarantee you will not be the last.  If your troop has been around for more than a few years, I am sure it has happened there before.

This happens to scouts, adults and professionals.  Anyone worth their mustard will help solve this issue.  Ask your troop.

Issues like this happen all through life.  The skill is learning to handle them and realizing its just a small bump.   

Next time put the receipt in your wallet or take a picture of it with your phone. 

@RennyTompson, I would not expect this to be a major issue to resolve.  Not knowing the specifics of how the money is handled within your Troop/ Patrol, I would first make a list of the food you brought, along with prices as best as you can.  If it was paid with credit card, even better it you can show that on a statement.  After you have that info prepared, talk with your Scoutmaster, and if necessary, the Troop Treasurer, and explain the situation.  As others have mentioned, things like this will happen throughout life.  Sometimes we just have to re-create the info as best as we can.  One thing that I always try to do is to pay Troop expenses in a separate transaction. Sometimes, I'll pick up personal items & Troop items on the same store visit.  I have the cashier ring it as separate transactions so that I can have separate receipts.  This helps if I need to pull a credit card transaction too. 

It will turn out fine. A Scout is Tustworthy, and it sure seems like you’re going above and beyond to make sure your fellow patrol members know that you didn’t do anything wrong. These things happen!

Once you have this issue solved, you might want to make a suggestion to your patrol or the Patrol Leaders’ Council to move to a pay-in-advance system. Everyone chips in a flat fee - like $5-$8-$10 - and the grubmaster goes shopping with that cash. Any extra money can either be spent on luxuries (a bag of chocolate chips, a carton of fresh strawberries), staples (rice, flour, condiments), or given back to the patrol members.

That way, a single Scout doesn’t have to come up with all the money up front and then get reimbursed. Coming up with $60-$80-$100 and then waiting for a check can be a major financial burden for some families. The patrol can still require receipts to doublecheck and make sure nothing got “skimmed.”

Edited by shortridge