"Classic" Scout Socks are now a thing?

So, apparently the Scout Shop is really excited about these "Classic Scout" socks - they're also "Vintage," "Retro," and "Original." I don't know if they could fit any more adjectives on the packaging. 

Anyways, they're cute and all, sure, but with all the crazy stuff going on in Scouting these days ... was there really a demand for these things? Has anybody had Scouts coming to them saying "Gee wilikers, would that I could find myself a genuine pair of red over-the-calf socks like my Grandpa used to wear! That would be far out!" ???

Also, if you have had a Scout come to you saying that, are you from the past? Can I see your time machine? And can you bring me back a Cub Scout Blue jac-shirt in an adult Small? I have but simple demands. Thank you.

classic scout socks.jpg

But do they count as official uniform socks with the Centennial uniform?

What do you mean grandparents? I remember those socks fondly and I'm only 40. The socks that mine Scouts grandfather or we're green used garters and had red or green tabs. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

What do you mean grandparents? I remember those socks fondly and I'm only 40. The socks that mine Scouts grandfather or we're green used garters and had red or green tabs. 

Sorry to make people feel old! I actually wore them too right up to around the year 2000, so I am just bemused by the fact they are calling them "classic" when they would have been uniform standard up to just a few years ago. :huh:

33 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

But do they count as official uniform socks with the Centennial uniform?

I ... I have no idea. I would imagine if they are pushing them like they are, they would have to consider them thusly. But from whom would that approval come? Would the folks up at national deign to clarify such a trivial question? I just find the whole thing bizarre. It's a lovely and sentimental nod to better days, sure, but the timing and promotion is just so odd. I wonder what other "vintage" and "classic" items they have waiting to toss at us in the future.

EDIT: I posted the question about official approval for the uniform on the Shop's webpage for the socks. We'll see if they answer!

Edited by The Latin Scot
5 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I ... I have no idea. I would imagine if they are pushing them like they are, they would have to consider them thusly. But from whom would that approval come? Would the folks up at national deign to clarify such a trivial question? I just find the whole thing bizarre. It's a lovely and sentimental nod to better days, sure, but the timing and promotion is just so odd. I wonder what other "vintage" and "classic" items they have waiting to toss at us in the future.

National: Yeah, BSA has reached rock bottom and begun to dig. But here’s a pair of socks! :)

2 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I wonder what other "vintage" and "classic" items they have waiting to toss at us in the future.

How about a vintage, retro, classic, original red beret!    Ugh....

Maybe I should dig out my classic retro scout issued parachute pants.   

But in seriousness it is funny how they market stuff.  You could almost see the scenario.  Hey Bob, you'll never guess the mistake we made in ordering. .... I know! Lets put them out as classic socks! 

8 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

was there really a demand for these things?

Enough of one to make them. Truthfully, I don't feel right in scout shorts if I'm not wearing the stupidly long socks with the red band.

Did they also offer the Official BSA (c) elastic garter?   I had them, BSA logo and all.  Nicely made, elastic, leather, metal hooks, AND the red tab.  Needed to keep those hose mos'ly  over the tall Scout's (whose) calf.  

Soak'em in 6-12, keep the ticks away. Maybe.  What percent cotton? 

7 hours ago, malraux said:

Enough of one to make them. Truthfully, I don't feel right in scout shorts if I'm not wearing the stupidly long socks with the red band.

Really? Maybe it's from growing up here in Southern CA, but I find any socks that go higher than the ankle to be dreadfully uncomfortable; I own Scout socks that go higher, but I never wear them. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

The summer camp we attended around 2010 used these for all staff members.  One staffer even had his groomsmen wear them at his wedding!

Wow ... that's ... a choice. Certainly he is one committed Scouter, I'll give you that. :laugh:

UPDATE

The question I posted on the supply website has been answered and the response is ... interesting, to say the least. From the webpage: https://www.scoutshop.org/thorlo-sock.html?utm_source=scoutshop&utm_medium=Homepage&utm_campaign=ClassicSocks

Question:

Are these socks approved for uniform wear with the Centennial Uniform? Is this a new (okay, old) official option to wear with the uniform from now on?

By: Edward, Mission Viejo | Oct 05, 2018

Answer:

Hi Edward! While the BSA doesn't have an "official" sock, the green/red are approved for wear with the Centennial uniform.

By: Alex, | Oct 05, 2018

So ... apparently the BSA "doesn't have an 'official' sock." So I don't know what all those official uniform socks are, but I guess they aren't "official!" But these are approved for wear with the centennial uniform. So that's ... baffling. :laugh:

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Confused 1