"Classic" Scout Socks are now a thing?

20 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

UPDATE

The question I posted on the supply website has been answered and the response is ... interesting, to say the least. From the webpage: https://www.scoutshop.org/thorlo-sock.html?utm_source=scoutshop&utm_medium=Homepage&utm_campaign=ClassicSocks

So ... apparently the BSA "doesn't have an 'official' sock." So I don't know what all those official uniform socks are, but I guess they aren't "official!" But these are approved for wear with the centennial uniform. So that's ... baffling. :laugh:

If they don’t have an official sock, then why did I spend around $50 on socks to staff a summer camp?  😁

• Upvote 1

I'll let you in on a little secret about National Supply:   BUNCH OF FOLKS HAVE LITTLE TO NO EXPERIENCE IN THE PROGRAM, THEY ARE JUST WARM BODIES WHO ANSWERED AN AD FOR A POSITION. (emphasis, not shouting)

I worked in national supply for a while and can tell you that out of all the folks in my store, only 2 had program experience: myself and the PT guy I recruited to work with me in the pilot program. Neither my manager, assistant manager, 2 FT coworkers, and 3 PT coworkers I worked with during my tenure had any actual experience in the program. I cannot tell you how many times I had to politely correct my bosses and coworkers. I cannot tell you how many times I got lectured  by my bosses when I was providing information to new folks and not trying to make the sale. Thankfully that stopped when one customer I talked to that left without a sale came back a few hours later with his son and then spent about 45 minutes completely outfitting his son with pack, sleeping bag, and other items.

When I visited my 11 year old at summer camp in June (2018) I noticed that a large minority of the camp staff were wearing the "original" red-topped knee high socks. I guess they'll no longer have to scrounge eBay for more... (And while faded, I still wear the couple of pairs I have left over from 1981.)

Edited by WonderBoy
22 minutes ago, WonderBoy said:

(And while faded, I still where the couple of pairs I have left over from 1981.)

I really wish I had treated mine better. Bleach splashes from cleaning at summer camp don’t look that great.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, Chris1 said:

They want $17 for those socks. And I thought the $8 or the standard uniform socks was way overpriced. I guess if I want that vintage look I will just have to use my vintage socks

Have you seen the price of good hiking socks?  These are priced about the same and based on the manufacture they are real hiking socks.    

Those old green socks with the garter were a pain.   The original red top were great until they stretched out and they didn’t stay up.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, shortridge said:

Bleach splashes from cleaning at summer camp don’t look that great.

Camouflage ! Oh, wait, not allowed in Scout uniform...

Even so, with all the above comments about "official", "hiking" , "vintage", "Merino", ,,, I am surprised cotton (bad!) and plain wool rag (better!) hasn't been mentioned.  

My buddy from Scouts and I walked 600 km on the Camino de Santiago a few years back. I wore my 100% wool rag and he his silk liner/theromax(?) socks. I had no blisters a-tall, he had one on his big toe  the last 50 km. 

• 1 month later...

I have to laugh...When visiting the Council Service Center the other day, I was approached by the manager of our Scout Shop. "LeCastor, look!"  She handed me the new "classic" red-topped socks and said, "I thought of you immediately!"

They know me so well...:D

Scout Sign copy.jpeg

• Upvote 1