Jump to content
scotteg83

Eagle Scout Extension for new 2019 Scouts

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I actually found this solution to be much better than what was being asked.  There was pressure to shorten the time period between ranks or even give credit for work done before joining Scouts.   They are offering to this to boys as well and are not changing requirements (other than max age)... plus you have to earn this within 24 months so it is not for those who want to abuse this exception.

I would have been completely happy with no modifications and I’m surprised they are allowing the exception, but at least they didn’t follow some of the suggestions that would have weakened the rank.

I agree. It seems like the most limited and equitable “transition rule” they could have adopted, if they were going to adopt one at all.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

The program isn’t changing.  They still have to do all the same work as before. If they are between 16-18 when they join, they can ask for a 24 month extension to finish properly. 

 

Also, not sure what you mean by inaugural year, there will be no Female Eagles in 2019. 

Yup, my inaugural comment was off base.  However, I believe that continued to change the rules is not the way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of this sentence:

"It is our hope and expectation that local units will ensure substantial individual recognition of their first female Eagle Scouts in a manner befitting their great accomplishments."

It implies that it's not about the journey - it's about getting to Eagle first.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the term “inaugural year” adds unnecessary confusion to the discussion.  Females can join ScoutsBSA starting on Feb. 1, 2019. The first females to earn Eagle will earn it in 2020.  Those are the facts.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, walk in the woods said:

So a girl who turns 16 on Jan 31, 2019 and joins scouts the next day will be able to stay in a troop until she's 20?  As a youth or an adult?  

 

This seems to say that a 16-year-old would get 24 months (at most) from initial registration:

"The actual extension will be based upon the individual’s registration date and age at the time of the request and will provide not more than twenty - four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thunderbird said:

 

This seems to say that a 16-year-old would get 24 months (at most) from initial registration:

"The actual extension will be based upon the individual’s registration date and age at the time of the request and will provide not more than twenty - four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements."

Ok.  So a girl joins on Feb 1 and turns 18 on Feb 2, 2019.  Same question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thunderbird said:

This seems to say that a 16-year-old would get 24 months (at most) from initial registration:

"The actual extension will be based upon the individual’s registration date and age at the time of the request and will provide not more than twenty - four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements."

I think what it actually seems to say is that every extension may be a different length. I think it probably suggests that someone who turns 16 on Jan. 31 will get significantly LESS than the full 2 year extension.  But we’ll find out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

 

This seems to say that a 16-year-old would get 24 months (at most) from initial registration:

"The actual extension will be based upon the individual’s registration date and age at the time of the request and will provide not more than twenty - four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements."

 

12 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I think what it actually seems to say is that every extension may be a different length. I think it probably suggests that someone who turns 16 on Jan. 31 will get significantly LESS than the full 2 year extension.  But we’ll find out.

It seems to me that the extension will only be long enough to give them the amount of time necessary to earn Eagle depending on the date that they join. I'd guess it'd be enough to give them the minimum amount of time needed to earn Eagle from Scout-Eagle. "The actual extension will be based upon the individual’s registration date and age at the time of the request and will provide not more than twenty-four months from the date of initial registration to complete all requirements."  My amateur guess is if they join at 17 years old and 11 months, they'll get the full 23/24 months, and it'll scale back from there to 16 years and no months. 

My troop isn't supporting a Troop for girls at this time, so this scenario is going to be exceedingly rare for us. 

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Ok.  So a girl joins on Feb 1 and turns 18 on Feb 2, 2019.  Same question.

That would seem to be the perfect case for a full 2-year extension.  As for your previous question about whether they stay in the troop while age 19 and 20, how is it handled NOW when a Scout is given an extension past his 18th birthday? I do not know the answer to that question.  We had one Scout who was given until his 19th birthday to make Eagle due to severe physical disabilities.  Until he made Eagle (which actually was 4 or 5 months before he turned 19) he was treated as a Scout for all purposes.  Whether that was correct under National policy, I don’t know.  And this was about 12 years ago, so the application of YP rules may be different today than it was then.

i think these are things that can be worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Ok.  So a girl joins on Feb 1 and turns 18 on Feb 2, 2019.  Same question.

She will need to file her request for extension by March 3rd, 2019. If approved she will have until February 2, 2021 to complete the Requirements. Although the Eagle BoR could be after that. 

Edited by Chris1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

That would seem to be the perfect case for a full 2-year extension.  As for your previous question about whether they stay in the troop while age 19 and 20, how is it handled NOW when a Scout is given an extension past his 18th birthday? I do not know the answer to that question.  We had one Scout who was given until his 19th birthday to make Eagle due to severe physical disabilities.  Until he made Eagle (which actually was 4 or 5 months before he turned 19) he was treated as a Scout for all purposes.  Whether that was correct under National policy, I don’t know.  And this was about 12 years ago, so the application of YP rules may be different today than it was then.

i think these are things that can be worked out.

They'll need to be counted as adults for YPT if they are "participants" after 18 in my understanding of YPT. But this is only going to be a situation that will last until 2021. At that point there won't be any Scouts who qualify and are working their requirements under this extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sentinel947 said:

They'll need to be counted as adults for YPT if they are "participants" after 18 in my understanding of YPT. But this is only going to be a situation that will last until 2021. At that point there won't be any Scouts who qualify and are working their requirements under this extension. 

You’re probably right.  They would be treated like 18-20 year olds in Venturing are treated now:  as youth for participation purposes but as adults for YP purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to be clear...one can be 17 and 11.5 months and sign up for the BSA, (SA??), on 2/1/2019.  Then request an extension to work towards EAGLE and you would have until one was 19 and 11.5 months to get the Eagle (24 months from an extension request).  No doubt this will make for some interesting camping and sign off experiences.

Not sure how I feel about this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×