Eagle Scout Extension for new 2019 Scouts

20 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I think that is the root problem - adults afraid to confront. at the unit and council level and hence no quality control.  

I have seen scouts arrive with used uniforms complete with previous, unearned rank. The SPL or SM has a brief talk and problem solved. 

I think she's wearing the rank because she believes it is her current rank. She (and her unit) are of the belief that she is Life with Eagle application pending. It's not true, but it's what they are saying by going about things this way.

What I don't get, then, is why it even matters to them if National were to approve of her early Eagle Rank award or not. They seem ok with just doing whatever they want, regardless of what is true. Why stop at Life? Just say you're an Eagle Scout then. It's not more less true than saying you're a Life Scout.

If that's how she and her unit regard rank, I see no reason for them to even bother petitioning National to award her Eagle rank at all. Clearly they don't respect the process of confirming and awarding rank according to BSA policy. So say she's the first Eagle. With Palms. And Silver Buffalo. And whatever else they want to tack on there.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where Sydney starts to loose my support. This is one push too far. BSA has now given her the opportunity that she has been asking for, too be able to earn Eagle Scout even though she will turn

Most of the commentary seems to be on the wisdom or stupidity of the extension- but mostly how it affects an individual Scout.  Either way, it does provide potentially a strong program gain.  The new

Tough love time (Hawk's already heard this pep talk) ...   We parents and unit and district and council scouters can beat drums for these one or two girls here and there and never find

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, skeptic said:

...as far as Sydney being recognized as Eagle, I can honestly say that from what I have seen and read she may be far more qualified in many aspects than some of whom I know...

Completely agree. And I've said as much in this forum when discussing the subject previously.

In many other walks of life I might be more willing to say that credit for past work should be given. But Eagle Scout is a very particular award. It's extremely time-sensitive, and we've all seen or heard of Life Scouts who missed Eagle only because of poor planning/timing. All other requirements complete and yet they come up just short because they started the project too late or took a POR too late.

Those scouts fulfilled the requirements in spirit, in some cases they literally did all of the work required, project included. And no exceptions were made. What Sydney is asking for is just such an exception, and it's not right.

I rallied for her cause when she insisted she just wanted the same chance as her brother had. She got that chance, and now her terms have changed, she wants something different. I'm not ok with that, especially in the case of an Eagle award because of the long history of very strict requirements and standards that Eagle hopefuls have had to adhere to.

What's more, she's making this request for another exception all while insisting that she is a Life Scout, wearing the rank badge in public. To me it's just added insult. Not only does she want special treatment, but she wants to just dictate to the BSA what's what. It's disrespectful.

Edited by FireStone
On 2/5/2019 at 9:44 PM, Jameson76 said:

I am not advocating preventing anyone from learning anything.

What a small group of the newly joined members (one in particular) want to do is get the recognition from their time as they were tagging along with relatives.  They basically want to be awarded ranks from the time before they joined the now Scouts BSA program.  While they no doubt benefited from their experience, they were not in fact members of the organization.  If they do join, they will need to adhere to all advancement guidelines, including time between ranks, camping nights as a member, merit badges requirements as a member, and holding positions of responsibility as a member.

No life experience cutting of the corners.  Use the extension, if you want to be part of the program, you need to be a part of the whole program.  All the rules and regulations, not just the ones you sort of feel like adhering to.

OK.  Follow the rules.  Good.  But lets not pick and choose.

Worry more about the Merit Badge Mill counsel camps and 6-7 times as many "Eagles as once was the case. What lessons taught thereby? Adherence to guidelines? Hardly!  Cutting corners?  You betcha'.

Then we could discuss "lockins" watching movies as "weekend campouts" for purposes of Journey to Mediocrity.

And The Patrol Method?  Outdoor Method?  Goodby to all that. 

3 car campouts for "First [sic] Class."  

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace

I think National, even with all the pressure from those wanting to give prior credit has maintained consistency that while an extension has been granted, ALL requirements must be met as a registered Scout.  I’m pleased to see that, as these young women will be congratulated as true Eagles and there won’t be the criticism that they cut corners in any way.  I am actually pretty impressed that with all the media and social pressure the other way that they’ve toed the line.  Just my .02.  

• 1 year later...

Update Oct 5,2020 on Ms. Ireland

After 15 years in Scouting and nine years spent urging the BSA to admit girls as official badge-earning members, on October 1, Sydney Ireland, 19, whose family also has a home in New York City, had her Board of Review and officially earned her Eagle Scout rank.

On Friday, Sydney told Patch: "During my Board of Review last night, I was asked what the most challenging part of Scouting was for me. I answered, 'Getting into Scouts was the hardest part.' I am so grateful to everyone that has supported me on this path to Eagle, including elected officials and the National Organization for Women-NYC. This is such a wonderful opportunity for young women to achieve greater equality."

Sydney ...will lead the inaugural class of women scouts poised to become the first female Eagle Scouts.

Sydney became the first female to successfully complete all requirements to earn the Eagle rank more than two years ago. She finalized her Eagle project, "Connect a Vet with a Pet," on Veteran's Day in 2018.

more details at source

https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/young-woman-who-fought-join-boy-scouts-earns-eagle-scout-rank

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Update Oct 5,2020 on Ms. Ireland

After 15 years in Scouting and nine years spent urging the BSA to admit girls as official badge-earning members, on October 1, Sydney Ireland, 19, whose family also has a home in New York City, had her Board of Review and officially earned her Eagle Scout rank.

On Friday, Sydney told Patch: "During my Board of Review last night, I was asked what the most challenging part of Scouting was for me. I answered, 'Getting into Scouts was the hardest part.' I am so grateful to everyone that has supported me on this path to Eagle, including elected officials and the National Organization for Women-NYC. This is such a wonderful opportunity for young women to achieve greater equality."

Sydney ...will lead the inaugural class of women scouts poised to become the first female Eagle Scouts.

Sydney became the first female to successfully complete all requirements to earn the Eagle rank more than two years ago. She finalized her Eagle project, "Connect a Vet with a Pet," on Veteran's Day in 2018.

more details at source

https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/young-woman-who-fought-join-boy-scouts-earns-eagle-scout-rank

I congratulate her for Earning her Eagle but I have a bad taste in my mouth by their statement of her earning the requirements basically before the girls were allowed to join....She will be part of the class vs. leading the class IMHO.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

I congratulate her for Earning her Eagle but I have a bad taste in my mouth by their statement of her earning the requirements basically before the girls were allowed to join....She will be part of the class vs. leading the class IMHO.

I do appreciate the fact that BSA announced they will not recognize a "First to Earn."   Even so, there is a good deal of the "She is the First!!" syndrome this going around...here, and in articles I have seen.  BSA cannot control what the media writes.  My daughter has delayed a bit, for various reasons...she might make the Inaugural Class cut-off date, but we don't care about that.  As long as she gets it, that's all that matters to her.  She is at college now, and with all the Covid-19 restrictions, she has some extra time for merit badge work via Zoom.  And she is one of the best Scouts I have seen ;)  Really knows her stuff, and prides herself on diligence and skill (versus appearance and fluff) and will most likely finish her Venturing Ranger award (🤞)!!!

Congressional Award Gold Medal in 2018, Summit in 2019.  Hope you don't mind a proud Dad bragging on his daughter!  When she finishes Eagle, I will feel like Master Yoda...

"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

Reality is that Ms. Ireland likely met and surpassed most of the requirements in her other earlier Scouting involvements, and that she is qualified in spades.  Most of the push back seems petty to me.  As far as First, or leading the list, or whatever, it is really not important.  What is important that we have pushed past another barrier that can do nothing but improve the reach of the program, and may even enhance it much more than many realize.  Congratulations to them all, and perhaps special kudos to Ms. Ireland for sticking to her guns and helping to open the program to young women who so choose.  Like prejudice, misogyny has no place in Scouting.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I do appreciate the fact that BSA announced they will not recognize a "First to Earn."   Even so, there is a good deal of the "She is the First!!" syndrome this going around...here, and in articles I have seen.  BSA cannot control what the media writes.  My daughter has delayed a bit, for various reasons...she might make the Inaugural Class cut-off date, but we don't care about that.  As long as she gets it, that's all that matters to her.  She is at college now, and with all the Covid-19 restrictions, she has some extra time for merit badge work via Zoom.  And she is one of the best Scouts I have seen ;)  Really knows her stuff, and prides herself on diligence and skill (versus appearance and fluff) and will most likely finish her Venturing Ranger award (🤞)!!!

Congressional Award Gold Medal in 2018, Summit in 2019.  Hope you don't mind a proud Dad bragging on his daughter!  When she finishes Eagle, I will feel like Master Yoda...

"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

Congratulations to your daughter!  Brag away.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Not interested anymore. She and her dad kept pushing the BSA every step, nothing was ever good enough, no matter what the BSA did to try and make them happy. Her dad is quoted in that article singing the praises of the BSA, while on Twitter he's still yelling about discrimination.

I'm over it. She's not "the first", there is no "first", that was entirely by design. I congratulate her on being among the inaugural class, but as far as I'm concerned she tarnished her achievement. All of that yelling and pushing the BSA to recognize her previous BoRs (she's had more than one), and in the end she had to play by their rules anyway. And still insists on changing the narrative and declaring herself "first". It's a shame.