Eagle Scout Extension for new 2019 Scouts

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where Sydney starts to loose my support. This is one push too far. BSA has now given her the opportunity that she has been asking for, too be able to earn Eagle Scout even though she will turn

Most of the commentary seems to be on the wisdom or stupidity of the extension- but mostly how it affects an individual Scout.  Either way, it does provide potentially a strong program gain.  The new

Tough love time (Hawk's already heard this pep talk) ...   We parents and unit and district and council scouters can beat drums for these one or two girls here and there and never find

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, FireStone said:

If they could they'd sign off on her Eagle rank

They already did.  From the patch article above, quoting her father:

Sydney's Scoutmaster signed off on her Eagle Application on Sunday. Let's get this done today and celebrate with a Court of Honor," he said.

• Sad 3

The rules on wearing the uniform at political events seem more aimed at rallies or events where a particular candidate is being endorsed. The SOTU address is a room full of politicians from various parties, no one in particular is endorsed.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

They already did.  From the patch article above, quoting her father:

Well that's unfortunate.

At least it confirms my suspicion that adults are behind this. Seems like they really do want to make her the "first". Probably will still claim she is even though National won't recognize the SM jumping the gun and signing off.

15 minutes ago, FireStone said:

At least it confirms my suspicion that adults are behind this.

Maybe, her quote from the article:

Reflecting on her battle so far to enter the BSA, Ireland said she has been calling on Boy Scouts of America to end discrimination for many years and was and excited " that they are finally ended their ban on young women."

But the fight continues, Ireland said, with the goal of having young women who have completed the work to attain the Eagle rank, the highest honor in Boy Scouts, recognized immediately, and not asked to re-do years of work, as Scouts BSA has suggested.

"We call on the BSA to count all of the rank and merit badges that I and many other girls already completed before Feb. 1," she said. "Now that the BSA finally ended the discriminatory ban against girls, they should now welcome young women. I look forward to the Boy Scouts immediately granting me and other qualified girls the official Eagle Scout recognition. As I said when I first began this journey, 'I can't change my gender to fit the Boy Scout standard, but the Boy Scouts can change their policies to let me in.'"

SOTU is the President fulfilling his or her duty to Article 2 Section 3 of the US Constitution.  It would be like attending a session of Congress or other governmental event.  My Cub Scouts were invited by our Mayor to attend the next Village meeting. I believe they can wear their uniforms there (and should be encouraged) even though they were invited by a politician.

20 minutes ago, FireStone said:

The rules on wearing the uniform at political events seem more aimed at rallies or events where a particular candidate is being endorsed. The SOTU address is a room full of politicians from various parties, no one in particular is endorsed.

She stood for a picture with Speaker Pelosi and her congress woman Carolyn B. Maloney, with an ERA YES button on her uniform.  The SOTU is a political event and Ireland was pushing a political message, in her BSA uniform.  

3 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

SOTU is the President fulfilling his or her duty to Article 2 Section 3 of the US Constitution.  It would be like attending a session of Congress or other governmental event.  My Cub Scouts were invited by our Mayor to attend the next Village meeting. I believe they can wear their uniforms there (and should be encouraged) even though they were invited by a politician.

To be clear.  There is nothing in Article 2 Section 3 of the Constitution that requires POTUS to give a public speech from the House floor to a joint session of Congress.  In fact historically the SOTU was just delivered via letter.  The fact that the SOTU has be come a televised spectacle makes it a political event.  If it isn't a political event why does every politician in America invite someone associated with their favorite cause to the SOTU for photo ops and recognition?  Because they are using the event to signal their stands to their constituency.  The Patch article you shared is exactly what makes the SOTU a political event!

17 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Maybe, her quote from the article:

Reflecting on her battle so far to enter the BSA, Ireland said she has been calling on Boy Scouts of America to end discrimination for many years and was and excited " that they are finally ended their ban on young women."

But the fight continues, Ireland said, with the goal of having young women who have completed the work to attain the Eagle rank, the highest honor in Boy Scouts, recognized immediately, and not asked to re-do years of work, as Scouts BSA has suggested.

"We call on the BSA to count all of the rank and merit badges that I and many other girls already completed before Feb. 1," she said. "Now that the BSA finally ended the discriminatory ban against girls, they should now welcome young women. I look forward to the Boy Scouts immediately granting me and other qualified girls the official Eagle Scout recognition. As I said when I first began this journey, 'I can't change my gender to fit the Boy Scout standard, but the Boy Scouts can change their policies to let me in.'"

Wow...I guess it is all about her.  Guess the whole all about the journey thing is not in her wheelhouse.

She has a path to earn the Eagle Scout rank, but feels that is not the way she should earn (be awarded??) the rank.  She want to be "recognized immediately, and not asked to re-do years of work as Scouts BSA has suggested"

No.  You will be asked to do the work as a registered Scout under the advancement guidelines as every registered Boy Scout (now Scouts BSA) participant has done and will do.  Nothing more and (note this) nothing less.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

She stood for a picture with Speaker Pelosi and her congress woman Carolyn B. Maloney, with an ERA YES button on her uniform.  The SOTU is a political event and Ireland was pushing a political message, in her BSA uniform. 

WiW, which candidate is being endorsed? This is the reverse: an elected official is endorsing a particular citizen.
We're going to expend a lot of energy if we go around chasing every issue button and ball cap off of every uniformed scout.

32 minutes ago, FireStone said:

... At least it confirms my suspicion that adults are behind this. Seems like they really do want to make her the "first". Probably will still claim she is even though National won't recognize the SM jumping the gun and signing off.

Miss Ireland is coming off as unprincipled. Her stance would be more mature if she requested BSA go back retroactively for a lot of people ... way back ... probably even before Katrina Yeaw in 1991, and then ask National to work its way forward based on the official records they may have of similar denials of the award.

It's like the whole instapalm debacle. Parents of affected scouts (and maybe one or two scouts themselves) were complaining that the deadline cut their scout out, but they had no interest in cutting in all of the scouts from years past who may qualify for an extra palm or two.

• Upvote 2

I see this no different than if I wanted my daughter who was in Girl Scouts and did an Gold Award project to retroactively get credit towards Eagle for that work..    That isn't how life works, it comes off as her and her father playing the system and setting a really bad president of the first Female Eagle if she is in fact awarded it.

I will say that I have sat in on many Eagle boards and the range of kids is very wide.  There is the boy that went above and beyond in leadership, merit badges, service, and project.   Then there is the boy that meets the minimum requirements barely.  They both get the same rank.   Everyone who knows them knows the difference between them and nothing is said.  I should also note, I know many fine boys that only made it to Star or Life that are amazing and would put above many "Eagles" that I know if I was picking to be on my team.  It is just a sad fact of life.

Pardon me, but no. 

Go back and read the numerous articles, watch and listen to interviews, about/by Ms. Ireland. 

My opinion is her focus has almost always been about attaining Eagle for resume and scholarship purposes. From my viewpoint she and her father have had many negative and incorrect things to say about BSA, Scouting and negative implications toward Venturing. I don't think it is a stretch to say it has been a me, me, me focused effort.

As for Silver Buffalo - I hope not. That award is for "truly noteworthy and extraordinary service to youth" and "exceptional character who have provided distinguished service at the national level." I don't believe it would be fitting, given some of her comments and actions, that she be honored in such a manner. Additionally, I have spoken to some of those involved in the policy change, I was given the distinct impression that Ms. Ireland was not only not helpful, but at times her comments and actions created impediments that had had to be overcome to make the policy change possible. It can be difficult to convince people that the process of becoming an Eagle Scout will be honored when you have a youth, and the adults enabling her, constantly and demonstrably flaunting the process. 

Let her follow the process, like every other girl entering Scouting BSA, like every Eagle before her, like every Eagle that has earned the Summit (and didn't get credit for work done prior to joining Venturing.) Anything less is not acceptable. 

She has been given the opportunity she asked for, but now that is not good enough. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
  • Thanks 1