Eagle Scout Extension for new 2019 Scouts

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/boy-scouts-changes-name-allows-girls-teen-still-not-eagle-scout

I’m not sure she will use this extension.  They are pressuring BSA to count work she already did.

Hopefully BSA won't cave in. It will set a very bad precedent if they did.  And I bet her dad and the other Scouters in the troop she has been tagging along with will give her credit for the work anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where Sydney starts to loose my support. This is one push too far. BSA has now given her the opportunity that she has been asking for, too be able to earn Eagle Scout even though she will turn

Most of the commentary seems to be on the wisdom or stupidity of the extension- but mostly how it affects an individual Scout.  Either way, it does provide potentially a strong program gain.  The new

Tough love time (Hawk's already heard this pep talk) ...   We parents and unit and district and council scouters can beat drums for these one or two girls here and there and never find

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/boy-scouts-changes-name-allows-girls-teen-still-not-eagle-scout

I’m not sure she will use this extension.  They are pressuring BSA to count work she already did.

I think she will use the extension IF the BSA doesn't cave in.  From the article: " "I, and other girls in my position, will eventually be able to become recognized Eagle Scouts, but the question is if they are going to count all of the many years of work we did prior to Feb. 1," she said."

And here we go. TV bit tonight about a girl troop who were inducted into Scouts BSA in the dark and all had already earned their Scout Badge. All before they went to school. The one girl was a teenager so clearly wasn't a Cub.  Not sure how the Cyber Chip could be earned in the dark. 

Sorry Sydney - you weren’t a registered Scout prior to completing the work and ‘earning’ the badges.   How are you any different from a friend or little brother who tags along but never joins - they don’t automatically get The rank & patches. 

You wanted to have an equal opportunity, worked for it, and things got changed - here you go now you’re equal in the eyes of Scouts BSA. 

You do get the extension and you should have an easier time cranking through the eagle required MBs and getting your eagle paperwork done as you advance from Scout to Life Rank you’ll just have to be determined and focused on not missing deadlines just like any young man that joins at 16 years old and hears the message from guidance counselors in school or college essay coaches “Eagle Scout looks good on college apps”. And those young men exist.  

Don’t try to cheat the system - you worked to change it and succeeded. When you try to game the system for your own reward, you could look spoiled.  Work to earn the Eagle Rank - but follow the rules while earning it. 

13 hours ago, Chris1 said:

This is where Sydney starts to loose my support. This is one push too far. BSA has now given her the opportunity that she has been asking for, too be able to earn Eagle Scout even though she will turn 18, and now she wants her Eagle now.  

I understand the frustration she (and a number of Venturers I know) have about not being able to count camping and activity they have already done. But the fact remains that she didn't complete ALL the requirements, which include signatures from council, and being a member of a BSA troop. Webelos do not get credit for camp outs or activity they do before they join a troop either.

Sydney should thank BSA for giving her the opportunity to EARN Eagle, and then work on it next to the thousands of other girls starting today. 

7 minutes ago, Momleader said:

Sorry Sydney - you weren’t a registered Scout prior to completing the work and ‘earning’ the badges.   How are you any different from a friend or little brother who tags along but never joins - they don’t automatically get The rank & patches. 

You wanted to have an equal opportunity, worked for it, and things got changed - here you go now you’re equal in the eyes of Scouts BSA. 

You do get the extension and you should have an easier time cranking through the eagle required MBs and getting your eagle paperwork done as you advance from Scout to Life Rank you’ll just have to be determined and focused on not missing deadlines just like any young man that joins at 16 years old and hears the message from guidance counselors in school or college essay coaches “Eagle Scout looks good on college apps”. And those young men exist.  

Don’t try to cheat the system - you worked to change it and succeeded. When you try to game the system for your own reward, you could look spoiled.  Work to earn the Eagle Rank - but follow the rules while earning it. 

Agreed. She wasn't a member in the program. She didn't complete the requirements. She has that opportunity now, and it should be a fairly easy process for her to use the extension and earn her Eagle. 

If the BSA caves here, the advancement process will be cheapened even further. How many other 16 or 17 year old youth will want credit for "prior work." Whether she tagged along at Scouting meetings before she could join the Scouts BSA program really isn't relevant. The Scout rank is clear: 

"All requirements for the Scout rank must be completed as a member of a troop or as a Lone Scout. If you have already completed these requirements as part of the Webelos Scouting Adventure, simply demonstrate your knowledge or skills to your Scoutmaster or other designated leader after joining the troop." 

At her age, she'll have no problems completing the requirements as a registered Scout. I look forward to her completing the requirements, above board, following the rules, just like all the other Eagles that came before her, and will come after her. 

Edited by Sentinel947

This will be an interesting test

One would hope that with the extension the BSA has given the opportunity.  If life (little L) experience becomes the standard, then it opens a tremendous can of worms.  Why can't any camping nights count for advancement, not just those with a troop??  Why do you have to do your project when you are a Life Scout, why not now??  Prerequisites are for losers, I did something similar and mom signed off....

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

This will be an interesting test

One would hope that with the extension the BSA has given the opportunity.  If life (little L) experience becomes the standard, then it opens a tremendous can of worms.  Why can't any camping nights count for advancement, not just those with a troop??  Why do you have to do your project when you are a Life Scout, why not now??  Prerequisites are for losers, I did something similar and mom signed off....

If BSA caves, then  Eagle Scout loses even more luster than it has already.

It's one thing for her troop leaders to sign off on that stuff. sadly I've seen the results of when it happens and National won't do anything about it. And i have a feeling that is what is going to happen here. But for national to just cave would be a travesty, There are THOUSANDS of female Venturers who did things by book,  and who comparable experienceince in Venturing that could lead towards Eagle if they were male,.who would be dishonored by BSA caving in.

• Upvote 1

I supported Sydney in every effort she made to get into the BSA and have a shot at Eagle. When I wrote letters to BSA executives to urge them to consider changing the rules on allowing girls, I mentioned her by name. Even wrote one letter to Surbaugh exclusively in support of her.

But this is where I have to draw the line in support of her goal. While I whole-heartedly applaud her work done so far and her incredible efforts to get this far, I can't support a rubber stamp on her Eagle application for that work. And in the end, I think she'll be glad she had to do it this way, too. Looking back, knowing she went through it as a full member and completed the requirements as prescribed (with the approved time extension), it will make it all that much greater of a success to have achieved so much and done so without any question as to whether she really earned it.

• Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, PACAN said:

And here we go. TV bit tonight about a girl troop who were inducted into Scouts BSA in the dark and all had already earned their Scout Badge. All before they went to school. The one girl was a teenager so clearly wasn't a Cub.  Not sure how the Cyber Chip could be earned in the dark. 

The rules allow for a scout to display skills learned prior to joining a troop so a well organized group of scouts and scouters may have completed the Cyber Chip before the troop became official.

"...simply demonstrate your knowledge or skills to your Scoutmaster or other designated leader after joining the troop."

Many new scouts achieve Scout rank at their first scout meeting.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, PACAN said:

Scout rank can be earned in about two hours - or less - by someone who knows their stuff. The only time requirement is that you have to describe some things after attending a troop meeting. Pretty simple.

And there’s nothing in the Cyber Chip requirements that necessitates doing it in the day. You can watch the videos in the dark.

• Like 1

@PACAN, how is that any different from a bunch of boys who know Scouting's ideals before their troop is registered? Two years ago, if a bunch of boys started a troop this way, of course you'd tell them to date their scout rank from the day the charter was signed!

• Upvote 1