Eagle Scout Extension for new 2019 Scouts

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where Sydney starts to loose my support. This is one push too far. BSA has now given her the opportunity that she has been asking for, too be able to earn Eagle Scout even though she will turn

Most of the commentary seems to be on the wisdom or stupidity of the extension- but mostly how it affects an individual Scout.  Either way, it does provide potentially a strong program gain.  The new

Tough love time (Hawk's already heard this pep talk) ...   We parents and unit and district and council scouters can beat drums for these one or two girls here and there and never find

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I read a news article that said that she will be about 4-5 months shy of 18 in February.

10 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

In this article.    https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/long-island-girl-continues-quest-join-boy-scouts-national-organization-women.  She is said to be 15 on May 4, 2017 that would make her still 17 on May 4,2019 therefore still 17 on February 1,2019. 

Thanks for that. I think that’s a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I personally think National just opened up a giant can of worms with this decision. I can see the lawsuits being filed if someone doesn't get the extension or if the extension is long enough to their satisfaction.

This.  Lawsuits will be the least if their problems.  Now anybody with the slightest reason to want an extension will be able to point at this decision.  If I was the kid we talked about a while back who missed his eagle by a few weeks I'd already have the letter writing campaign started.  Standards are brittle things once bent they tend to break.

• Upvote 2

Assuming no disabilities,  I would hope with an extension, we could expect more work (okay, I'll say it - additional requirements) from a 19-20yr old adult? Eagle candidate.  

Pioneering MB?  Serve as an adult leader? 

My $0.02

Just now, RememberSchiff said:

Assuming no disabilities,  I would hope with an extension, we could expect more work (okay, I'll say it - additional requirements) from a 19-20yr old adult? Eagle candidate.  

Pioneering MB?  Serve as an adult leader? 

My $0.02

I agree. It’s unfair to someone like me. 

Not knowing young women who want BSA4G, let alone Eagle rank, I guess I don't have a dog in this fight. I guess if there are some 17 year old boys who regret passing on scouts, this might be recruiting opportunity.

However, having concluded that BSA's membership decline was preceded by National's imposition of the ageist policy on rank advancement, I must say this does not encourage long term membership or direct requirements to be more fieldwork and less bookwork. 

The age deadline should be removed. Any man or woman of integrity willing to serve as a direct contact leader for a year or so should be permitted to persue rank advancement. The era of "hurry-up" rank advancement should come to an abrupt end.

Edited by qwazse
1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMO, this needed some more thought before announcement. One example,  will using this extension apply to troop registration as well or will an 18yr old girl have to transfer to a Crew to complete her Eagle requirements?

It should be handled the same way current extensions are handled.  It is rare, but there are extensions granted beyond 18.  This just makes it clear how Nationals will handle these extension requests.  

I also expect this exception will be rare.  First, you need a youth to join in 2019 that is 16 or older by Feb 1.  Second they need to be motivated enough to file and extension by Jan 7, 2020.  Third they need to be willing to stay in Scouts probably past High School.  I think we are talking hundreds not thousands of extensions.  

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

It should be handled the same way current extensions are handled.  It is rare, but there are extensions granted beyond 18.  This just makes it clear how Nationals will handle these extension requests.  

I also expect this exception will be rare.  First, you need a youth to join in 2019 that is 16 or older by Feb 1.  Second they need to be motivated enough to file and extension by Jan 7, 2020.  Third they need to be willing to stay in Scouts probably past High School.  I think we are talking hundreds not thousands of extensions.  

I wouldn't even say high hundreds.  Most girls I know at the troop age, want to join for the activities.  I have only met 1 that wants Eagle (but shes young enough to achieve it properly).

• Like 1