broken lantern globes

Our troop has 1 lantern per patrol plus an extra for the adults for a grand total of 5. On any given camp-out we break at least 2 of the globes. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Typically they're broken by the boys and not while in transit. It's gotten to the point where several of the adults will bring their own lanterns so the boys can use all of the troop lanterns. The hassle of batteries and lack of lumen output make us shy away from LED lanterns. I've seen mesh/screen globes but I've read that they have trouble when it's windy. Ideas?

5 minutes ago, RivetSmasher said:

The hassle of batteries and lack of lumen output make us shy away from LED lanterns.

Each of our patrols has a Streamlight Siege lantern. Bright (550+ lumen, brightness settings + red), versatile,  rugged, and SAFE anywhere. No reported problems with batteries.

image.png.c847033e439b1ec10cc9d0f7c1b78172.png

• 4 weeks later...

We have also retired our propane lanterns in favor of LED. A set of 4 AA batteries lasts forever, and they are very bright. We didn't have globe issues, but it seemed that every time we took them out of their storage bags, the mantles needed replacement.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, RivetSmasher said:

Our troop has 1 lantern per patrol plus an extra for the adults for a grand total of 5. On any given camp-out we break at least 2 of the globes. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Typically they're broken by the boys and not while in transit. It's gotten to the point where several of the adults will bring their own lanterns so the boys can use all of the troop lanterns. The hassle of batteries and lack of lumen output make us shy away from LED lanterns. I've seen mesh/screen globes but I've read that they have trouble when it's windy. Ideas?

You can get steel mesh globe replacements. I've done that with one of my personal lanterns--but I haven't used it when extremely windy.  My former troop used coleman propane lanterns, but we used them on a tree atop a 20 lb propane cylinder. Never had problem breaking them in camp, but did occasionally break them on transport. 

• 3 weeks later...

I trust the replacement cost of the globes is shared by the responsible Patrol ?  Care and feeding of equipment is a learned experience.  I have also seen  bar'd guards for Coleman lanterns. Might be worth the investment.   Scouts can learn that they can depend on the First National Bank of Momanddad, or they can learn to replace things they lose or break... 

The QM issues the lantern to the patrol for the year. If it is broken the patrol should repair it. The patrol can raise funds for the repair, and/or go without a lantern until it is fixed. It is their problem to solve. They might just learn something from this. And no, a giant lantern is not needed at camp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our boys bring their own lanterns, which are usually Luci lanterns. No batteries or breakage to worry about. The Luci lanterns don't put off a lot of light like regular lanterns, but I've found if we have two or three propped up on walking sticks or hanging from a canopy, they put off plenty of light.