Boy Scouts of America Recalls Neckerchief Slides

Neckerchief slides have been a hot topic in my pack. Lots of parents and leaders have expressed frustration with the ever-changing uniform each and every year of cub scouts. 

Cub scouts should have a universal neckerchief slide for all ranks. Some folks think we should have a universal neckerchief for the whole Pack, and I don't disagree. 

Until they do that, and in light of this recall which means I have to tell all of my den parents to return those slides, we're going with a DIY solution. I'm bringing paracord to the next den meeting and we'll make our own. 

It's bad enough that we have to buy new stuff every year, with pretty frequent price increases (seems like not all that long ago slides were just $2). Now we're paying those rising prices for cheap (unsafe) merchandise.

• Upvote 1

@FireStone Unless my sons asked for one, we made our own woggles. A DL tried to call Son #1 on it and I made it clear we were in full compliance with the handbook,

Move #1 should always be a scout making his own slide out of any material he chooses. Well, maybe not out of lead fishing sinkers.

• Upvote 1

This is not so surprising.  The Feds have a regulation that ANYTHING that a child might conceivably put in their mouth MUST be tested and certified "Lead Free" .  This necessitates the definition of "Children's Jewelry".

Our Faith Awards ( Friends Committee on Scouting)  are such, and some years ago, when this regulation became more widely enforced, our entire stock of Faith Awards had to be either tested and certified by an independent lab (each piece individually !) or destroyed.  We opted to order a new batch (which the manufacturer tested and certified as part of the price)  and parceled out a few of the old stock to some collectors and destroyed the rest.  The Adult Awards were not test worthy, because they were not "Children Jewelry". 

Necker slides,  Webelos Dangles, faith awards, hat pins,  Eagle Awards,  year pins, Summer Activity Awards,  I surmise if BSA is obeying the regulation, all of them must be tested and certified. 

Chew on THAT for awhile.....

• Upvote 1