Opinions on Alcohol stoves

Was thinking of getting the Evernew Appalachian set for packing in. Never used an alcohol stove before so just wondering pros and cons of this all I need it for is to boil water don't plan on cooking with it. How much fuel should be taken for a 5-day trip planning on boiling water maybe 2 times a day and what should be used to pack fuel that won't spill?

It's here my interested: Solo Alcohol Stove

If you're a Solo owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Solo durability and how they compare to other Alcohol stoves you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! 

Don't know about the Solo Stove or Evernew. I have a Trangia Alcohol Stove, which is very similar to the Solo and Evernew stoves. I've had no issues with it except 1: weight. But I am slowly turning into a "Gram Weenie" ;) .Trangia's are solidly constructed, but they are heavier than other stoves out there. Once nice feature is the simmer ring and screw top lid. You can put out the fire with the simmer ring, let it cool down so it, then use the screw top lid to keep the fuel not used stored for next use.

I don't believe the Solo has the screw top lid. As for the Evernew, it definitely doesn't. And the price tag is out of my league. But it is titanium.

Currently I am using a Batchstovez 2.0 with Cold Weather Wrap in the Ultralite kit.  I replaced the bottle in the kit with a 8 once Nalgene bottle ( don't use imitators they will leak) and I carry a 1 once Nalgene for measuring and putting in my sleeping bag for priming. I use the BCR pot in the kit as my coffee cup with the Snow Peak Hot lips. You can boil water in it, but I found that using an Imusa mug heats up faster on the stove.

I am only an apprentice when it comes to alcohol stoves. Look up Shug on Youtube and you will find dozens of videos on alcohol stove and other gear.  Here is his STOVE WORLD video.

• Upvote 1

Eagle94, I too am becoming very gram conscious.  I've tried to lug around equipment from my younger years.  But I'm finally admitting defeat on some items, like stoves.  Just too heavy and it wears me out.  The gear is still in good shape...but I'm not!

Any thoughts on boiling/cooking times with alcohol stoves? 

• Haha 1

I hear you about old gear and weight. I broke down and got a new pack because it was lighter and more comfortable. But I love my A.L.I.C.E. and  still keep her. My A.L.I.C.E. as a lot of miles on her, and a lot of memories.

As for times, definitely takes longer than my Whisperlight, and the pocket rockets other use.  But you done have the "Jet Engine" noise of those stoves. I'm still playing with with the system and tweaking it. Going from memory, I can boil 1L of water faster than the 22 oz BCR pot in my Batchstovez. It's something like 8- 9 minutes with the Imusa pot versus 9-11 minutes  with the BCR. I've been using 2 onces of fuel, but am going to try 1.5 onces as I have fuel left over. And with the Batchstovez, you got to burn the fuel all the way.

What I found really helps is a reflective coozie.  I made it out of scrap window shade, but I am told the REFECTIX is awesome for it.  Normally heat escapes pretty fast, and the water cools down before it is finished rehydrating the food fully.  Last trip I was on I put my cook bag in the coozie, and then had to help someone out. Came back 20-30 minutes later, and the food was still piping hot.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

@spencerdella  welcome to scouter.com.

I may move your topic to sub-forum Equipment Reviews and Discussions when I figure how. :confused:

https://www.scouter.com/forum/6-equipment-reviews-discussions/

@spencerdella , @Eagle94-A1 ,  @desertrat77  topic moved with help from @MattR  , thanks  :)

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

I used to use an alcohol stove. Got really into it for a while. Have all kinds of designs, the speed and fuel usage are usually typically competing variables. I have always used home-made. In general I don't use them anymore as I opt for a fire. But to your question, I used to use 1/2 oz fuel per 2 cup boil on my best stove. The worst was 2oz per 2 cup boil. So to figure out your 5 day usage, we need to know how much water you plan on using.

18 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

I have always used home-made. In general I don't use them anymore as I opt for a fire. But to your question, I used to use 1/2 oz fuel per 2 cup boil on my best stove. The worst was 2oz per 2 cup boil. So to figure out your 5 day usage, we need to know how much water you plan on using.

Sadly BSA no longer allows homemade stoves, despite them being in the Cub Scout Leader How-To Book once upon a time. And although I made 2 stoves almost identical to the Batchstovez, that one came out super nice and can tell it was machined instead of handmade.

And thanks for the info on your burn.

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Sadly BSA no longer allows homemade stoves, despite them being in the Cub Scout Leader How-To Book once upon a time. And although I made 2 stoves almost identical to the Batchstovez, that one came out super nice and can tell it was machined instead of handmade.

And thanks for the info on your burn.

Yeah. Too bad. Sadly bsa has moved towards prohibition instead of learning. But at least the scouts can still make and use the "little dandy" wood stove. Which IMO is even better for scouts as they really learn how to get a fire going with them.

What you really want is drinkable alcohol. Denatured alcohol is just natural alcohol, or ethyl alcohol, with poison added. So, Everclear at 190 proof. The last 5% is just water. If you spill it in your pack just open it up and let it dry. The big problem is buying it. First, it's expensive. Second, I'm not sure it's scout appropriate. :) I did use it on a backpacking trip once. I did not tell the scouts what it was.

• Upvote 1