Opinions on Alcohol stoves

I realize this posting has aged a bit, but after watching our scouts use white gas stoves I decided it was time for the troop to upgrade to canister stoves as we prepare for Philmont.

The risk of a scout spilling white gas and creating a problem was more than my stress level wanted. The same would be true of alcohol stoves.

Yes, I know white gas stoves have many years of use in BSA troops. I just think these that I got are lighter and safer than what we had.  Your mileage may vary.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3MHI0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On November 1, 2018 at 10:45 AM, 69RoadRunner said:

... Yes, I know white gas stoves have many years of use in BSA troops. I just think these that I got are lighter and safer than what we had.  Your mileage may vary.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3MHI0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one thing that kept me from jumping on canister stoves was 1) more moving parts than I wanted to deal with and 2) they didn't really support my smallest espresso pots -- I needed to jury-rig the SMs jet-boil with some tent pegs to get us a decent cup of coffee. Then, I borrowed son#1's Primus classic. Because its support tines are welded at the center, they don't bend (a problem I've observed in other dropped models) and can support a base with as small as 1 inch radius. Stores in two pieces -- with room for a small multi-tool and spork in a small pouch.

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

The one thing that kept me from jumping on canister stoves was 1) more moving parts than I wanted to deal with and 2) they didn't really support my smallest espresso pots -- I needed to jury-rig the SMs jet-boil with some tent pegs to get us a decent cup of coffee. Then, I borrowed son#1's Primus classic. Because its support tines are welded at the center, they don't bend (a problem I've observed in other dropped models) and can support a base with as small as 1 inch radius. Stores in two pieces -- with room for a small multi-tool and spork in a small pouch.

If you look at the link I posted, it's a remote canister stove, so very capable of supporting heavier pots.  You're right about Jetboils and ones that sit on top of the canister.

The white gas stoves have more parts than the canister stove.  There's no pumping and priming.  No maintenance other than wiping it down.  I find the canister stoves much simpler and there's no fuel to spill.

• Upvote 1

Having gone around the whole continuum of stoves, they all have their special place in my personal history of adventures. And all have their plusses and minuses. I am however still partial to cooking over the open fire. Unless the land manager prohibits open fires, this is my default. In the last 5 years, I used a canister stove twice only because it was required (fire ban) in the area. I find the use of the open fire also helps facilitate many of the methods and values in scouting. Something to think about.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

One more thought about Primus Classic (noticed while I was showing Mrs. Q how neatly it disassembled  for cleaning -- the things we do to distract from Thanksgiving preparations): its stainless steel under-shield is reflective. I wouldn't necessarily pop the shield off its assembly for routine grooming, but it would make a great signal mirror in a pinch.

On the other hand, taking a cue from @DuctTape's comment about fires from natural material, you may want to consider carrying a couple of spare signal mirrors to assemble into reflectors that channel air, focus heat, and support your pot.💡