Time between rank

So after having my son in a troop for four years i just came to learn that they do not count the summer as time for advancement. So him receiving the rank of star scout in May he is not allowed advancement until February. It doesn’t seem right that they would not count the summer even though he was active with the troop with summer camp and other activities. Just curious if any other troops do this. 

Edited by Vintage1
Left out some content

The current scoutmaster is in agreement that the summer can count but this is a rule by an old regime where one parent who was a former scoutmaster is still active in the troop even though his son has long left. It doesn’t come up all the time but it has where several kids over the years we’re a couple days or weeks shy of advancement because they weren’t counting two summer months as time for advancement. We voted on it last night and the only one who voted against it was a parent who went through the same thing and whose son has made Eagle Scout as well. I do not believe their intentions are bad but it seems like a ridiculous rule that should have never been placed.   

Our unit counts time in rank year round.  Most years we have one weekly meeting after summer camp which is usually near the middle of July then do not start meeting again until school starts back which is usually the 2nd week in August. then we do not meet from the middle of December until the first of January.  Added together we takeoff 6-7 weeks a year just depending how the dates fall on the calendar.

(Caveat: My rule #1 is don't ask for a rule. You'll eventually live to regret it.)

4 hours ago, Vintage1 said:

The current scoutmaster is in agreement that the summer can count but this is a rule by an old regime where one parent who was a former scoutmaster is still active in the troop even though his son has long left. It doesn’t come up all the time but it has where several kids over the years we’re a couple days or weeks shy of advancement because they weren’t counting two summer months as time for advancement. We voted on it last night and the only one who voted against it was a parent who went through the same thing and whose son has made Eagle Scout as well. I do not believe their intentions are bad but it seems like a ridiculous rule that should have never been placed.   

Wait? What vote? There's no vote! The SM agrees (not with you or your son, with the letter of the requirements). He signs the book. Worst case: the TC holds its BoR, declares that your son was a total slug over the summer and puts in writing what they expect from him and when they will hold the next board.

My SM and I are fine with the TC being obstinate ... on their own time, according to national standards, not according to an erstwhile SM's caprice.

14 hours ago, Vintage1 said:

So after having my son in a troop for four years i just came to learn that they do not count the summer as time for advancement. So him receiving the rank of star scout in May he is not allowed advancement until February. It doesn’t seem right that they would not count the summer even though he was active with the troop with summer camp and other activities. Just curious if any other troops do this. 

I think that's not fair at all.  That, and the troop is pretty pathetic if they don't meet in the summer.  IMHO, summer is the best time for Scouting.  The Scouts have time to work on merit badges, etc., without homework or athletics interfering.

• Thanks 1