Eagle Scout Application - Religious Reference

On 10/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, scotteg83 said:

since you raised the question, How does going to church show your duty to God?  You can practice religion without going to Church.  And there are plenty of youth that go to church that aren't Religious.

Well, going to church is part of my duty to God. I'm Catholic, and it is considered a mortal sin in my church to miss Sunday Mass without good reason.  So, yes, going to Mass is part of my duty to God.  Of course you can practice religion without going to church, but at least for those who are Christians, going to church is part of our general duty to God.  I also wouldn't count going to church every Sunday as the complete duty to God. If a Scout answered duty to God with just going to church on Sunday, I would question that as well (asking about other actions that are part of that duty).  Duty to God in the Scout Oath is not idle words to me. 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, shortridge said:

As do we all.

The framing of your question suggests that church attendance is the default way of doing one’s duty. The spectrum of Scouting experiences means that it’s not. An open-ended question when dealing with Scouts is best.

It is an open-ended question.  It's a thought provoking question, so that the Scout can think about what his duty to God is.  In my faith (Roman Catholic), weekly church attendance is part of our Duty to God (although required, it is not the entire duty to God, it's just the minimum). 

1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

Of course you can practice religion without going to church, but at least for those who are Christians, going to church is part of our general duty to God.

I am a Christian and I do not believe "going to church" is a duty to God.

Oh good, an entry on the "Faith and Chaplaincy" forum....   Very appropriate.  (maybe I'll make up a piece of tape to put over the wrong title...) 

It is appropriate to have the Scout think about who/what gave him/her their faith in a "higher power".  Faith leader?  Pastor? Clerk? Minister? Priest? Rabbi? Imam?  Dad? Mom?  Neighbor (Mr. Rogers was a Presbyterian minister)?   I often come to think of the Hebrew National hot dog commercial....

Very often, the young person (and many older ones of my acquaintance) only consider their spiritual place in the universe if confronted with such a requirement. 

I have often needed to converse with folks who are aghast (aghast !) to be told that the BS of A is NOT an ipso facto Christian organization.  But there you are.  Many types of faith are exhibited at the Nat Jam and soon the World Jam.   One of the most popular desks was the Sikh table, where Scouts could try on a turban, and talk about this exotic (to most Americans)  faith.  

To be Australian about it, ItsBrian,  "Good onya, mate...."   and , no, I'm not Australian, but I like the sentiment. 

14 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Then, IMHO, you haven't paid attention to the Commandments. 

Well, if it's the Big Ten you're referring to, most of us Christians have been off by a day!

Still, we would do well to take @perdidochas's exhortation to be consistent with St Paul's exhortation to "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together."

We could split hairs over weekly church attendance being a duty or an honor. Or if we think Saints and Bishops got it wrong. But, I don't think most of us are satisfied an answer to the tune of "I'm not that kind of Christian."

On 10/16/2018 at 2:50 PM, perdidochas said:

Then, IMHO, you haven't paid attention to the Commandments. 

Read my bible again and nope - no reference to church.  Not surprising when churches did not exist when the commandments were written.

If we want to discuss this further perhaps we should start a new topic in Issues & Politics.

Edited by NealOnWheels
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, packsaddle said:

SSScout, I'm curious about that Hebrew National hot dog commercial. Is it online anywhere?

Google "Hebrew National hot dog commercial" The punch line is "We answer to a higher authority" than the FDA

• Haha 1

LOL, That's just wonderful. How have I missed this? I'll check it out.

Edit: nevermind, I know how I've missed this. The South. Kosher doesn't count for much here. That would be wasted on folks used to eating ears, noses, and tails (and that higher authority only knows what else!)

Edited by packsaddle
added a followup
19 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Hello, sir. Have you met scrapple?

LOL, deeeelish! Similar to our regional 'livermush' which I can sheepishly admit to scarfing down in large quantities, fried....when much younger....before I knew what was in it. Goetta is better but my fav is, naturally, crawfish or gator boudin, neither of which I can find locally. The cuisine of Louisiana is just wonderful. And now, that I'm really hungry, I will retire to the kitchen.