Eagle Scout Application - Religious Reference

It's about that time to where I finally fill out the Eagle Scout application.

I started to fill it out and realized that it says to get a reccomendation from your religious leader. I do not personally attend church often therefore I do not have anyone that would be able to provide a reference. I thought I read once a parent would fill in for that reference, but I forget.

Has anyone else delt with this before?

27 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I started to fill it out and realized that it says to get a reccomendation from your religious leader. I do not personally attend church often therefore I do not have anyone that would be able to provide a reference. I thought I read once a parent would fill in for that reference, but I forget.

If you do not attend a church, you could use a parent. My Scouts commonly use the troop chaplain. I used the facilitator that led the classes for my youth religious medal program in Scouts. 

• Upvote 3

Per section 9.0.1.3 of the Guide to Advancement:

• References: Must list all six (five if not employed). If not affiliated with an organized religion, then the parent or guardian provides this reference.
Edited by robert12
On 9/24/2018 at 4:25 PM, ItsBrian said:

Congratulations! And It's about time!

We deal with it constantly in this postmodern culture. And, we follow the G2A, although that even falls short for youth who are more or less emancipated. Sometimes, even the SM will write the reference.

In the ancient world, we would not be interested in your "religious leader" so much as your confessor. And, such a reference would be quite brief. Something like: "The scout in question doth confess to me."

And, it would be on the virtues of the confessor, not the scout, that the reference would be judged.

• Upvote 1

Is there another trusted adult that can attest to your beliefs in something greater than yourself?  Reverence also includes respect for other folks beliefs as well - are you tolerant of others religious views even if they don’t match your belief system?  

On 9/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, ItsBrian said:

Here's a question for you: Do you think you are doing your duty to God by rarely attending church? 

That said, use your parents for that reference. IMHO, at your age, parents are in charge of your religious education, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A little of the rails, Perdi. But since you put it out there ...

9 hours ago, perdidochas said:

Here's a question for you: Do you think you are doing your duty to God by rarely attending church? ...

@ItsBrian, take that as a rhetorical question. Answering to strangers on the Internet is likely to get your dander up. Hashing it out with whoever you'd trust as a reference is likely to get you somewhere.

15 hours ago, qwazse said:

A little of the rails, Perdi. But since you put it out there ...

@ItsBrian, take that as a rhetorical question. Answering to strangers on the Internet is likely to get your dander up. Hashing it out with whoever you'd trust as a reference is likely to get you somewhere.

Well, it is something to think about.  I take the Scout Oath seriously.

15 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Well, it is something to think about.  I take the Scout Oath seriously.

As do we all.

The framing of your question suggests that church attendance is the default way of doing one’s duty. The spectrum of Scouting experiences means that it’s not. An open-ended question when dealing with Scouts is best.

On 10/04/2018 at 10:31 AM, perdidochas said:

Here's a question for you: Do you think you are doing your duty to God by rarely attending church? 

That said, use your parents for that reference. IMHO, at your age, parents are in charge of your religious education, etc. 

since you raised the question, How does going to church show your duty to God?  You can practice religion without going to Church.  And there are plenty of youth that go to church that aren't Religious.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, bsaggcmom said:

I have never really considered myself overly religious, but do consider myself to be quite reverent. I rarely attend church now, I have attended regularly in spurts over the years, but not now. I work with people of several faiths and beliefs and respect their customs. I am not closed to their thoughts or actions. I respect their needs to pray, say grace before meals, attend services,etc. I participate in such activities when I am with them but not usually at home with family. It was not the way I was raised or my husband.

The Scout Law says be reverent not be religious. There really is a difference. I know several religious folks, very religious folks that aren't the least bit reverent. They have no use for anyone that isn't their religion, and they mock others for their beliefs. I'd rather be reverent than religious any day. The world needs way more reverence and maybe a little less religion. Or at least we need religions to teach its okay to be reverent.

You said what I couldn’t put into words. Thank you. 

I relate to you on how I was not raised religious, but I respect everyone and take part.