Class B Question

Hi!  So, I am trying to work on building up our cub and boy scout program and I can see a great many things in the future.  I think part of that is visibility, what are our scouts doing and what are they doing within our community.  To aid in my quest, I am trying to get some Class B shirts done and I know a very talented graphics designer that is willing to design a shirt for us.  We are a pretty small group so shirts tend to be more expensive.   We want something "cool" that the kids will want to wear not only for our events as deemed appropriate but also just because they are cool. 

So, onto the politics/issue.  We had 1 troop in our area and due to politics, had another troop be created.  The new troop and pack share a chartered organization and a pack/troop number.  Could I create a single shirt for both the new pack and troop?  Just incorporate the number and not tack pack or troop onto it?  We could increase our number of shirts to help decrease the cost.  Our designer knows all about trademarks/copyrights and how to not get in trouble.  I hope that makes sense.  Thank you!

11 minutes ago, ncscouterz said:

Hi!  So, I am trying to work on building up our cub and boy scout program and I can see a great many things in the future.  I think part of that is visibility, what are our scouts doing and what are they doing within our community.  To aid in my quest, I am trying to get some Class B shirts done and I know a very talented graphics designer that is willing to design a shirt for us.  We are a pretty small group so shirts tend to be more expensive.   We want something "cool" that the kids will want to wear not only for our events as deemed appropriate but also just because they are cool. 

So, onto the politics/issue.  We had 1 troop in our area and due to politics, had another troop be created.  The new troop and pack share a chartered organization and a pack/troop number.  Could I create a single shirt for both the new pack and troop?  Just incorporate the number and not tack pack or troop onto it?  We could increase our number of shirts to help decrease the cost.  Our designer knows all about trademarks/copyrights and how to not get in trouble.  I hope that makes sense.  Thank you!

You can do pretty much whatever you want that is scout appropriate and follows TM's and such.  Having the activity shirts "Class B is a company" is a great idea.  Makes it easy to identify your scouts in a crowded place.  Now, if you have a troop also wearing your colors, will that make it difficult for you?  If not, then go for it.

There is a t-shirt / patch company called "ClassB".  They are an official licensee of the BSA, so no need to worry about BSA trademarks if you choose to work with them.  They offer free artwork services with unlimited art changes, free shipping over $50, no set up fees, and you can mix garment types for price breaks.  I'm not affiliated with ClassB, but I've used them before, and they do good work.

That said, you can use whoever you'd like.  I think the words "troop" and "pack" are not trademarked, although you would have to check on that to be sure.  You could maybe put P123 / T123 on the shirts to avoid that whole issue.

If you wanted you could probably use the same design, but different color shirts to make a distinction between the pack & troop (for example: use navy blue shirts for the pack / dark green for the troop).

I don't see any problem using the same shirt design for the Troop & Pack. Like Thunderbird said, you could always get the same design on different color shirts if you wanted.  However, I'd have no problem using the same color for both units.  That would cut down on inventory if you wanted to order a few extra shirts.  It would stink to need a blue Adult small and not have any, but realize that you have 6 green Adult small.  I have ordered from ClassB.com many times and have always been pleased with the shirts and their customer service.  They have many designs online that you can select and then customize the text as needed. We have also ordered from a local shop, especially when the pricing would be similar.  Neither ClassB.com nor the local shop has had a problem mixing colors within an order, as long as the design is the same.

Props to you for trying to collaborate with your neighboring pack.

Find as many opportunities as possible to do so.

One day your scouts will be teens and will tell you how stupid it is that their buddies are in different troops.

Try to get a shirt that youth will actually wear outside of Scouting events.  If they will wear it outside, they will wear it during

We do a Class B shirt every summer, also for high adventure treks.  Different color and use the dri-fit type.  Over the last 10 years we have used the same front chest design.  Then the back is emblems from the activities we do each summer.  On outings we have multiple colors, but they are all similar design.  

I was pretty sure we had hit on a good overall design as I saw the shirts around town, in photos, and other places worn by our scouts.

The dri-fit was a big hit