New girls in Scouting

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually the #1 reason is it is a done deal. No way they can change it now. Besides there is enough evidence to point out that the decision was made even before the town hall meetings came out. Another thing is National may have learned from the "InstaPalm" decision: don't release the poll results if it contradicts what you plan to do anyway. 94% were either against (18%) or strongly against (78%) doing away with tenure requirements for palms.

CORRECTION: 94% were against instapalms, 18% Against, 76% strongly against.

Sorry for the mistake.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian is absolutely right. There is reason girls come to us rather than girl guides, because they are getting something that they are not getting there. This is one of my favourite photos of t

Family scouting is all about the WHOLE FAMILY going on outings and activities together. So that moms and dads can spend more time together with their boys and girls in a scouting setting. --

It boggles my mind that anyone who has a daughter (I have two, both of whom are adults and moms themselves) would object to that requirement.  Peoples’ energies should be put into finding more female

23 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Add to that, girls will bring in more adults without a patrol method experience. Patrol method is a dying art. History supports my theory. Webelos III is inevitable, but the girls will have fun.

With all due respect, the last vestiges of the Patrol Method died 10-1-18 when patrols can no longer do day activities without 2 registered adults over 21 being present. 

Just now, ParkMan said:

Call me a dreamer - but I continue to think the future of patrol method is bright.  But, those experienced in it have to teach it to the next generation of leaders.

While it can be taught, it can no longer be implemented. The true Patrol Method, allowing a patrol to do thing on their own without adults present, is no more. Instead we have the Den Method.

32 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

While it can be taught, it can no longer be implemented. The true Patrol Method, allowing a patrol to do thing on their own without adults present, is no more. Instead we have the Den Method.

I get that you don't like the new rule - but that's pretty melodramatic.  Countless troops all over the country implement patrol method fine with some adults hanging around.

Sure national threw us a curveball - but it's up to folks like us to make it work.

I'm not going to rehash anything but to say, this is where all scouting is local.

I firmly believe that the scoutmaster I've mentoring is growing in the right direction. I'm very proud of her accomplishments. Of course she doesn't need my approval for any decision she has made or will make. This troop's families know what they want for their sons, and that's a boys scout troop. The pressure will happen when a bunch of these girls are ready for the troop, and expect to graduate there. The pack and troop meet on the same night, different time and rooms (at the church). The preacher is female, and her husband is the COR and an Eagle. They fully support scouting, but only have been at this church for a few years. They'd love to see everything grow of course. I'm not sure if they are aware of what's happening, if they even care, or if they would demand that girls be allowed in the troop (not understanding that there needs to be a separate troop for the girls. I have told the scoutmaster that I would always be available to discuss anything, anytime, or refer her in the right direction.

I admit that I am old, and like the way it used to be. Take that anyway you like. I think boys deserve their own exclusive program. Add to this the OA removing the Native American motif, and has now become just a service club, I'm pretty much done with the scout program. I'm not alone. I will continue to participate on a maintenance committee that serves one of our local camps, as I have many friends there.

A scout is friendly,

sst3rd

Packsaddle,

Getting left behind is one thing, changing for the sake of change is another. 

Adapting is something else entirely. We disagree. I think boys ought to have their own program. I think the BSA has lost its soul for the sake of pleasing certain folks and the almighty dollar.

With all of that said, as I mentioned earlier, all scouting is local.

Scout troops are becoming family camping clubs, and the OA is becoming a service organization (can't wait to hear the new name). There's no brotherhood, or cheerfulness, just the service.

I truly and sincerely wish everyone the best.

"Softly falls the light of day...…………"

sst3rd

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, sst3rd said:

Add to this the OA removing the Native American motif, and has now become just a service club, I'm pretty much done with the scout program.

Aside from the AOL ceremony issue, what’s your evidence that this has happened?

5 hours ago, Eagledad said:

The instinctive nature of prepubescent girls is details and micro organization. Organization part of Patrol method is easy for them. 

LOL. I see you have never met my daughter!

Broad, sweeping generalizations like this help no one and are ultimately not constructive.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, shortridge said:

LOL. I see you have never met my daughter!

Broad, sweeping generalizations like this help no one and are ultimately not constructive

Lol, all data is generalized and is usually the motivation (or not) for new concepts and changes. Generalized data is the difference between success and failure. Most Fortune 500 companies don’t make a move without the support of generalized data.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

Goodness - this got negative today.  I'm sorry to see that we've gotten to the point where you all are so disillusioned.  Myself, I choose to keep looking for positives here. 

At it's core - scouting is still a great, unmatched program.  It's still a great way to help our youth grow.  I was out socially tonight.  One of the troop parents recognized me and shared just how much her son has benefited from Scouting.   As long as there are more boys and girls out there like this one - I sure think it's worth finding the good.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Generalized data is the difference between success and failure. Most Fortune 500 companies don’t make a move without the support of generalized data.

Can you share your data which says that girls are instinctively micro-oriented, etc.?