Common Misconceptions Others Have on the BSA?

On 9/21/2018 at 3:23 PM, SSF said:

I'm waiting to hear about the troop that has decided to add an additional rank somewhere,...Third Class between TF and 2C, it's probably happened

That is a suggestion I have made for real, in this forum.  When the most recent made round of advancement requirement changes were made (2016?) I had an issue with turning "Scout" from the "joining badge" into a "rank" and doubling (or so) the number of requirements.  I thought Scout should remain the "joining badge" and have requirements that could be finished at the Scout's second or third troop meeting.  But with the number of requirements for each rank now, that would probably mean creating another rank, and I thought "Third Class" would make the most sense.  Not that I think it is ever going to happen.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:18 PM, SSScout said:

"We can't join Scouts, we're not Christian". 

Well, yes, some people seem to think that, and I have had Jewish people tell me that Scouting is a Christian organization as a reason (excuse?) why their sons do not join.  I tell them about the Schiff family and, less famously, my family.  My father became a Boy Scout in 1938 in a troop sponsored by, of all things, a Jewish Community Center, in Bayonne, New Jersey.  The first troop I was in as a Scout was about 30-40% Jewish, and the second was about 60% Jewish.  So where this idea got started I have no idea, but it is a misconception that I have seen first-hand.

Edited by NJCubScouter
On 9/21/2018 at 8:45 AM, gblotter said:

The common misconception is that BSA is an altruistic organization composed of selfless volunteers with the mission of building boys into men of character.

The reality is that BSA is a corporation driven by corporate motives. Money - not altruism - drives BSA, just like any corporation. While many BSA volunteers may indeed be selfless, BSA corporate leaders largely ignore and dismiss the opinions of front-line volunteers in decision-making.

Sorry to say, that does seem to be the case recently.    

On 9/21/2018 at 9:19 AM, an_old_DC said:

Units are autonomous and can do what they want: entire packs can go canoeing, unrelated girls and girl siblings can completely mix with boy dens for all activities and even "unofficially" earn advancement, etc. Troops can make up their own advancement policies including when or if a Scout can have a conference with his SM, BORs retesting Scouts and then denying advancement, having SM, CC and other adults' daughters tagalong on camping trips and "unofficially" earn advancement. The list goes on and on.

The sad thing about this one is how many long-time "trained" Scoutmasters and units seem to think this as well. And I am not talking about uninformed scouters, rather wood badge course directors, National Jamboree contingent scoutmasters, NYLT scoutmasters, Etc.

They feel they are above the law.