Simply falling behind or is it more complicated?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Peter Thiel 's statement in the posted video that reformation of college education will come from the outside. IMO, outside from education consumers, parents and students,  in high school

Yup, but they already both have their degrees. Pete even has a JD to go with his bachelors (in philosophy). Now Pete will pay you to drop out of school and join his incubator (if you are good eno

More and more men do not want to go to college, they see it as a waste of time and not worth the cost. Women keep going because it is drilled into them they MUST GO TO COLLEGE!!! More and mo

24 minutes ago, cocomax said:

Did you know 47% of women that recently graduated college have a job that does not require a degree, with an average salary of $37,330, and an average student debt of $39,400. 

. . . and 37% of men are in the same boat.

Sounds to me the men are making somewhat better decisions. Or just maybe they are drawn to degrees that lead to better pay.

1 hour ago, cocomax said:

Did you know 47% of women that recently graduated college have a job that does not require a degree, with an average salary of $37,330, and an average student debt of $39,400. 

Yes, I know that more than half of our nation's college grads get a job that requires a degree within a year of graduation.

Daughter was in the other half, took a year for the oil slump to rebound for her to get a job with the company she targeted.

2 hours ago, cocomax said:

The percent depends on your source of data.

Underemployement is trending down:

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/Underemployment-Declines.pdf

https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/college-labor-market/college-labor-market_underemployment_jobtypes.html

On 9/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, cocomax said:

We would be a lot better off is we based hiring people and college admissions on merit and merit alone. 

I agree and disagree.  There are plenty of exclusive private and public universities that admit only the best high school students. They have an important place in our society.   I teach science at community college, whose mission, in part, is to provide second (or more) chances to students that did not do well in high school.  Every quarter I have one or more single mothers who are often my best students.   Most of my students are in the so-called lower middle class, supposedly the main Trump demographic.  Some of them work hard and some continue the habits that put them and their families in the socioeconomic position they are in.  We must continue to make sure that affordable post K12 education opportunities are available to our public and open on a first come basis.

• Like 1