Why the BSA should have stayed away from the transgender trend, part 2

1 minute ago, Eagledad said:

You are saying atheist believe morality comes from God?

Barry

I'm saying many theists don't believe other theists have a lock on morality and its origin. It's a divided house.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry, Gender dysphoriais an emotional and psychological condition experienced when a person's gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. It is a recognized condition. So t

Based on the variety of opinions expressed here, and seeing what governments and sports organizations have gone through struggling with this- it seems the BSA did something pretty rational.  Just let

A group of atheists that cooperate would outlast your imaginary brute-force society.  There are human fossils that predate the oldest religions on earth that show they were either handicapped or elder

Just now, qwazse said:

I'm saying many theists don't believe other theists have a lock on morality and its origin. It's a divided house.

Ah, NJ comes to mind. I forgot. Some theist define their morality along with atheist. 

Barry

A lot of people don't realize this but if you read the original Hebrew, when Moses received the tablets that God had written the commandments on, there were 11. After Moses broke and then rewrote the commandments he dropped one. First of all, this illustrates that man wrote the 10 commandments and not God. Also, the one that was dropped was "Thou shalt not argue about religion, it just pisseth me off when you get so angry about what should be about love."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

Ah, NJ comes to mind. I forgot. Some theist define their morality along with atheist. 

Actually, my general view of morality is basically the same as the Reform Jewish movement (of which I am technically a part), Episcopalians, Unitarians and others.

49 minutes ago, MattR said:

A lot of people don't realize this but if you read the original Hebrew, when Moses received the tablets that God had written the commandments on, there were 11. After Moses broke and then rewrote the commandments he dropped one. First of all, this illustrates that man wrote the 10 commandments and not God. Also, the one that was dropped was "Thou shalt not argue about religion, it just pisseth me off when you get so angry about what should be about love."

But seriously folks, when Judge Roy Moore put up his (unconstitutional) public monument of the Ten Commandments, the monument had 11 commandments.  See https://tinyurl.com/y9oakh38  It all depends on how you parse the first few.  And if I have this correct, Orthodox Jews find 613 (I think) commandments in Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy, not just 10 or 11.  A couple hundred of them only apply when there is a main Temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, which there hasn't been for awhile, but there are people who do follow all ~ 400 that remain.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Eagledad said:

I have consistently said in our discussions over the years that pragmatically, morality can only come from God because it never changes. 

Which is nonsense.  Gods never show up to state what these morals are, it's always only humans.  Christianity has changed drastically over centuries.  Different Christian sects don't agree on what is moral even though they supposedly all worship the same god.

All humans are born innately immoral. The difference between atheists and theists is atheists can claim any behavior as moral, while theist are held accountable to one morality from God.

And since gods can have any morals, theists can claim any behavior as moral, too.

Atheist say slavery is immoral today, but they could say the opposite tomorrow and wouldn't be wrong because they are only accountable to ambitious emotional fickle man (the guy with the biggest stick, remember?). Theist are accountable to only one morality.

And theists could say slavery is moral today too, because it's really only their opinion of what is and isn't moral; they only claim they know what their god wants, like the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845.

Edited by Merlyn_LeRoy
5 hours ago, fred johnson said:

You are so so so ignorant and not knowing what you are really saying

Typical BSA member insulting an atheist yet again.  It's possible I don't know what YOU are really saying, but I'd put that down to your incoherence.

Is this an example of convergence? Or is it just me? It seems that most times someone starts a thread like this one started, it ends up where this one has. And if there is anyone here who thinks that any minds are going to be changed by this, please raise your hand now. I don't see any hands.

That said, back when I had a CS Pack I sometimes observed to the parents that cub scouts seemed to have the moral code of a bunch of raccoons. The parents would laugh and snicker at first....and then as they continued to watch whatever behavior their sons were engaged in, they'd get serious....and quiet. That's when I'd laugh. 

I don't share the view that people are inherently immoral. Even raccoons have some behavioral patterns that work for them (but not on my back porch, they don't last long there). Regardless of what people 'believe' or don't, we do manage to arrive at how each of us decide to conduct our interactions in the world. And most of us agree on most of whatever code each of us manages to adopt. Some of us just seem to find it easier to adapt to new things. 

22 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

And if I have this correct, Orthodox Jews find 613 (I think) commandments in Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy, not just 10 or 11.  A couple hundred of them only apply when there is a main Temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, which there hasn't been for awhile, but there are people who do follow all ~ 400 that remain.

I think it's just way cool that someone took the time to make this count. It sure saved me from wasting a lot of time.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Merlyn_LeRoy said:

Typical BSA member insulting an atheist yet again.  It's possible I don't know what YOU are really saying, but I'd put that down to your incoherence.

I'm not insulting at all.  I'm stating.

I'm saying you are ignorant of everything I've done for 15 years for all scouts; my faith, other faiths or no faith.  I've never used scouting as an evangelical tool and I've never stood in the way or blocked or insulted anyone of other faiths or those of no faith.  If anything, I've helped numerous scouts that are not practicing or that do not have a faith.  My volunteering has been about enabling them to camp and develop friendships and have adventures.  

You are ignorant of who I am and what I've done.  

You are insulting without cause.  

My question.  What have you done to support the scouts, both those that are atheist and those that have a faith.  Where have you given back your time?