"Active" definition - First Class to Star progression

1 hour ago, Bill2018 said:

OK clearly this is a discussion-stimulating topic.   I agree that "each troop deciding what is active" is arguably not the best practice, it should be what BSA says.   But I don't want to start a debate over that.

My son currently:

• Chaplin Aide
  • First Class (age 13).   His goal is Eagle by age 16
  • "Administratively meets" all upgrade to Star requirements.  Has service hours, Merit Badges, etc.  Has about 1/2 the Eagle badges already done.
  • National Junior Honor Society, plays soccer, does some service hours at Nursing Home.  Also is altar boy at church.   In other words, he is "whole concept" demonstrating Scout values, health physical/moral, service to others, striving to do his best at school, etc.
  • Active at fund raising, popcorn, wreath sales (door to door can be done outside of soccer).   Typically out-sells other Scouts (not that this is a requirement, but....)
  • Will probably miss every Troop meeting between now and December  
  • will attend some campouts between now and December
  • well liked by other Scout adult leaders in troop (not a requirement, but...)

** I am considering discussing this with him and seeing if he would like to hand-write an "appeal" letter or "please consider my case" letter to the Troop Scoutmaster

I love to hear about active well-rounded kids.

I'm still a little confused about the rush. I'm assuming he advanced to 1st class at summer camp, so he's been active for about two months?

So, he tells his SPL and SM that he has to suspend activity until December (excepting a couple of campouts), and has a scout in mind to fill in for Chaplin's Aide while he's out. He leads his team to the golden net championship. Then he returns just in time to plan out the troop Christmas party and prep everyone for Klindike derby. He knocks out a few MBs while being active through January, and qualifies far Star by Scout Sunday.

That gives him time to achieve Life by August. One more soccer season, then Eagle by July. He's 13 now, he'll be fifteen then. Goal achieved.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm getting to the point where I don't remember much!  I used to be very, very active on this site (with the old format) but I've been fairly inactive for almost 10 years.  Back then too much posting

@fred johnson, but the Scouts are ignorant of the rules, and generally, so are the parents. That's how these types of leaders get away with "75 percent of the meetings and 50 percent of the campouts"

I love to hear about active well-rounded kids. I'm still a little confused about the rush. I'm assuming he advanced to 1st class at summer camp, so he's been active for about two months? So,

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Bill2018 said:

OK clearly this is a discussion-stimulating topic.   I agree that "each troop deciding what is active" is arguably not the best practice, it should be what BSA says.   But I don't want to start a debate over that.

My son currently:

• Chaplin Aide
  • First Class (age 13).   His goal is Eagle by age 16
  • "Administratively meets" all upgrade to Star requirements.  Has service hours, Merit Badges, etc.  Has about 1/2 the Eagle badges already done.
  • National Junior Honor Society, plays soccer, does some service hours at Nursing Home.  Also is altar boy at church.   In other words, he is "whole concept" demonstrating Scout values, health physical/moral, service to others, striving to do his best at school, etc.
  • Active at fund raising, popcorn, wreath sales (door to door can be done outside of soccer).   Typically out-sells other Scouts (not that this is a requirement, but....)
  • Will probably miss every Troop meeting between now and December  
  • will attend some campouts between now and December
  • well liked by other Scout adult leaders in troop (not a requirement, but...)

** I am considering discussing this with him and seeing if he would like to hand-write an "appeal" letter or "please consider my case" letter to the Troop Scoutmaster

Yes, you are right.  This is a long running, historic argument.  

As for your case in point specifics ... Ignoring future possibilities (you don't advance based on future promises) ... and considering here and now ... if he meets the rank requirement ... AND THE SCOUT ASKS ..., he must be allowed a SMC, a board of review and he should advance.  

Your son's case is about as explicitly called out in the Guide To Advancement as possible.  Both about how to interpret active, must be allowed a scoutmaster conference and must be allowed a board of review.  Now the board could say the scout has not met the expectations.  But that is yet another battle of long winded arguments.