Scout Talks

This morning was supposed to be a school wide assembly, however at the last minute it was decided to go to each classroom and give the talk.  I am a DL so I didnt get to talk, but I did hear the talk 17 times and it was a good learning experience.  We go to the other school this afternoon and I think it will be an assembly.  I am anxious to see how many show up tomorrow night.

• Upvote 2

It’s amazing you have this much access and it sounds like you are taking advantage of the opportunity!  Hope you are emphasizing how much fun Cub Scouts is... some boy talks can get boring if not done well.

Unfortunately my school district banned the scouts years ago (we can’t even have a flyer advertising scout night in the school), so it’s great to hear schools that give this much access.  Keep up the good work.

Waaay Waaay back in the day we could do the school talks.  This was for Boy Scout troops that made for a fun presentation.  I was the DE and would travel to the schools with tents, backpack, etc.  We would setup in the assembly area, then the classes (boys then) would come to us.  It would be the local unit leaders, or their representatives, and myself.  I would do the basic what is Boy Scouts, then the local unit leader would talk specifically about what the local troop actually did.  Note this was early 80's so no mass crossovers, etc.   We had good response because it was tangible

Not sure we could do that now.  Especially the axes and knives.

Good learning experience for all

I am not one for public speaking, fine with small groups,  fine with work related presentations,

but recently volunteered to present cubs to school PTA meeting, did my first 2 days ago doing another today

not often we get to practice public speaking so doing so for scouts is good practice.