New Wolf Neckerchief /hats now what?

Hi. Our pack has a recycled uniform program. It’s worked pretty well too. I’m sure the council store hates it but I would rather have a child join and stay and get a cheaper uniform from our recycled ones than not be able to afford the whole dues, joining fees and uniform so they don’t do it at all. 

So now National has made the wolf cap and neckerchief red. I have a stack of yellow for wolf.   

Is there anything wrong with our pack using the yellow if the whole den is outfitted the same?  

We wanted to do a pack cap and neckerchief because parents were unhappy with having to buy new every year. And the necker wouldnhave an addition made to it at the end of the year awards.  When our DE got wind of it she shut it down hard - like with council exec Involvement. (No longer the DE - which is a good thing she wasn’t very nice to the volunteers, emails were not polite)

Edited by Momleader
Spelling

I agree with Eagle.  Right now on scoutshop.org when I search wolf hat or necker the yellow hat and necker are the only ones that come up.  I've also read that the new red color and stock won't appear until the old yellow stock is gone so many wolf cubs would have yellow for the near future.  If you have enough yellow to sustain your cubs in the future go ahead and do it.  maybe a few years from now you will run out of yellow because kids want to keep them or lose them or some parents buy the new red and you can decide on mixing colors or moving to only red.

The changes being made to the Wolf colors are rolling changes, meaning that the red hats and neckers will not appear until the current inventory of yellow sells through. This also means that both colors will be perfectly acceptable through the 2019 - 2020 program years.

1 minute ago, The Latin Scot said:

The changes being made to the Wolf colors are rolling changes, meaning that the red hats and neckers will not appear until the current inventory of yellow sells through. This also means that both colors will be perfectly acceptable through the 2019 - 2020 program years.

Even then, once uniform ALWAYS UNIFORM. Just like Webelos can wear "vintage" blue uniforms still instead of tan and green.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

I would continue with your program, speaks more to your pack then forcing a change.

Of course, over time those yellow will go missing, and someday you will have to start replacing them with red ones, but thats a future pack problem

Or, the passion for wolves in yellow neckers will outlast this very bizarre quirk in fashion, reds will fold as scouters purchase yellows in bulk delivered by drones from whatever company chooses to mint them, and BSA will realize that tradition has value and start making yellow standard issue again.

You read it first on scouter.com.

@Momleader, get to know your council president. If the pro's make one peep about it again, tell him you want the board to start the search for a new SE.

• Like 1

FWIW

In our pack, one thing we did to keep annual costs down is we didn't ask scouts to buy the hats and actively discouraged parents from buying the standard neckerchief slide.  So, all a parent had to buy every year was the neckerchief and the scout book.

As a parent, I'm glad my son still has his old neckerchiefs and scout books.  The hat & official slide - I don't miss them.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, FireStone said:

If exhausting the existing supply of yellow neckerchiefs is the criteria for rolling out the red ones, current Wolf scouts could possibly be Eagle Scouts by the time the red ones are made available. 

I guess that depends on where you are located.

In my local scout shop we have all of the new neckerchiefs, from the yellow Lion right on up the line.  Any of our newer scouts who have just purchased uniforms have the new colors.

I am in the Central Florida Council, which seems to be smashing recruiting numbers.  Last numbers I saw were almost 2 weeks ago.  At that time we had over 3,000 new cubs in a month, and just over 1,000 were girls.

14 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

I guess that depends on where you are located.

In my local scout shop we have all of the new neckerchiefs, from the yellow Lion right on up the line.  Any of our newer scouts who have just purchased uniforms have the new colors.

I am in the Central Florida Council, which seems to be smashing recruiting numbers.  Last numbers I saw were almost 2 weeks ago.  At that time we had over 3,000 new cubs in a month, and just over 1,000 were girls.

I was told at my council Scout Shop (Northern NJ) that they have 50,000 yellow Wolf neckerchiefs in stock. Now I don't know if that means 50,000 for our council (hard to believe), for the regional area, state, etc. But I guess the point was that there are still a lot of yellow ones around. 

• Like 1

Souvenir hunters unite.    We need MORE specific stuff.  Change'm yearly. Wolf'18. Bear '19.  Webelos '20.    

I only have one  yellow necker and a blue with yellow piping cap in my shoe box in the back of my closet.  Gee, I missed out on a lot of stuff when I was a Scout.  I guess today's Scouts will need a bigger shoe box.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Souvenir hunters unite.    We need MORE specific stuff.  Change'm yearly. Wolf'18. Bear '19.  Webelos '20.    

I only have one  yellow necker and a blue with yellow piping cap in my shoe box in the back of my closet.  Gee, I missed out on a lot of stuff when I was a Scout.  I guess today's Scouts will need a bigger shoe box.  

I came up in the generation that was tasked similarly to today's cub scout, having to change neckerchiefs and hats every year. And I have none of them in my box of old Scouting stuff, because I think at some point they held little sentimental meaning to me. 

Change stuff this often and it holds little value to those who wear it. It's just a throw-away item that kids burn through in a year and move on to the next thing.