FWIW, I took mine yesterday and have to disagree with Carebear the DE and some others.  I thought it was excellent.  Well presented, flowed well, and a little long, but there was a lot of material.  While watching, I tried to think of comparisons with other youth serving organizations programs (not church sponsored programs).  Who has one that is anything even comparable?  4-H, YMCA, YWCA, Campfire, GSUSA?  Sorry, I think the BSA still is setting the standard for quality in this arena.  Lastly, I wish all parents could take this.  It is really sad to see kids being abused today in situations that occur that the BSA put in preventative steps long ago to help parents keep kids safe.  I've seen churches, schools, etc. go on co-ed and single gender outdoor activities that make any BSA volunteer cringe when you see the risk presented.  Just my .02. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness, if only there had been some advance notice of this deadline...

I suspect all the training folks I've worked with over the years would absolutely agree with this statement.  What they and I don't agree with is National mandating training and the Council's turning

I can understand the frustration some folks are having, depending on how their District or Council has approached the whole YPT thing. I know that we started discussing this is our monthly Commis

8 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

A lot of Scouters don't attend roundtable, so I wouldn't count on it as the primary way to get the word out.

While our district consistently has in excess of 100 people at every roundtable, it is only one of many ways we have tried to get the word out.  Emails to every registered leader, district facebook page, face to face contact at unit meetings, texts, etc.  I have sent more emails and had more direct contact about this with leaders from multiple units than I would like to count.  I am sending on last reminder this afternoon via text.

As @Saltface stated above, could depend on your council's interpretation.  We have been told consistently that people will be dropped, from MBC's on up the line.  Our district recharter was done back in July, so MBC's had to be current by July 1 in order to remain on our active MBC list.

I just hope we see a flurry of activity over the weekend.  A week ago, we had 255 people in our district set to expire, right now that number is down to 207 (down 3 in the last couple of hours)

9 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Same here.  We have all been told at every roundtable and every commissioner meeting that those who expire at midnight on Sunday will have their memberships revoked.  While that may seem extreme to many, completing YPT is not at all difficult, and if all that result in not getting it done is to say 'your YPT has expired, but continue with your unit as if everything is fine for the next three months', there is really no incentive to get it done.

It would also make me wonder a bit, if they are willing to ignore this requirement for eight months, what other things are they ignoring.

One thing worth remembering is that scouters have their YPT expire all the time; no one has ever suggested that means they lose their membership. 

The now old YPT expired every two years.  So if you registered for a unit in say September, two Septembers later, if you hadn't renewed it, your YPT expired.  The remedy for this has always been escalating gentle email reminders from  your council and/or unit.  A unit might then have policies about whether that meant some restriction on what activities you can participate in, and Council/BSA's big hammer was you couldn't recharter.  As a guess, October was picked as a deadline precisely because they figured they would get the vast majority of folks to complete the training, and then they would have a few months to persuade the late bloomers before recharter really became the hard deadline.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, Thunderbird said:

I would not be surprised if the BSA's online training site goes down over the weekend with all of the people who waited until the 11th hour to get their training done.

Trying to help someone with it right now. The site is crawling.

4 hours ago, Saltface said:

Trying to help someone with it right now. The site is crawling.

Three of my leaders have contacted me today and they’ve spent hours trying to complete it.  They keep seeing “Sorry, there was an error performing your action. Please try again, or contact your administrator”

I spent over an hour just trying to get on scoutbook.   

First my account didn't exist, then it did, then the password I used for the last 2 years was no good, I tried to get them to send me a new temp password, but the account was back to not existing,please sent us your BSA ID #, so I did.

Nope, still doesn't exist.  so I tried to create a new account.  

It twice insisted my address was invalid   although I've lived there for 30 years.  It worked the third time ,don't know why

finally

Got a little FAILURE TO SET UP ACCOUNT  sign!   with a suggestion that I call my local Scout service center tomorrow for help

Edited by Oldscout448
6 hours ago, awanatech said:

Goodness, if only there had been some advance notice of this deadline...

Agreed...  I had a few leaders take this months ago and a few others last week when I sounded the alarm.  Our council had also been emailing and begging people to take the training earlier.  Only about half of my 14 leaders completed the training going into this weekend.

I talked with a few other units and they told me they haven’t even started driving this with their packs.  They explained that summers they disconnect and September is for recruiting.

Talking with my DE there is no real impact until recharter.  However at recharter the local teams can not override this time which is why they pushed an earlier deadline.  

32 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Agreed...  I had a few leaders take this months ago and a few others last week when I sounded the alarm.  Our council had also been emailing and begging people to take the training earlier.  Only about half of my 14 leaders completed the training going into this weekend.

I could have written the exact same thing...about half of my unit's leaders go theirs done.  A couple texted me last night that they couldn't log on to the site; I told them just get it  done this week.  But stressed it had to be done before recharter.

4 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I talked with a few other units and they told me they haven’t even started driving this with their packs.  They explained that summers they disconnect and September is for recruiting.

Talking with my DE there is no real impact until recharter.  However at recharter the local teams can not override this time which is why they pushed an earlier deadline.  

This is the problem with these things.  Half the folks make this out to be a hard deadline- the other half say "no big deal if it's not done." As a movement, we undermine ourselves to the point where many simply do what they want.

This was posted to one Commissioner's FB page:

It is October 1st. Scouting is moving forward. We now have more scouters who are not current with their Youth Protection Training. There are many opinions on what should happen, but as commissioners, let's keep our focus on our commissioner mission "The mission of Unit Service is to help units better serve more youth through scouting" This is best accomplished by working with our units, districts and councils to help the scouters complete their Youth Protection Training. Scouters will not be dropped(One council may be an exception) if YPT is not current. The rest will have scouters remain on the roster until the recharter date. Thank you for your help.

Then again, for my district, recharter period starts Thursday.  We'll see what the rosters look like then I guess.