Biggest challenge we is the district is essentially dead. We have not had a DE in several years, having to share one with other districts. Between the various membership changes, we have lost the bulk of our district committee, as well as several units. The few remaining district committee members we had have not appreciated how the professionals have treated us, so either immediately resigned, or gave notices. Right now,  I only see a District Commissioner. DE and District Chair have been MIA since June and April respectively. I stepped down in May, but no one has seen hide not hair of my replacement, so I am trying to keep thigs going. Since I have taught YPT, Venturing YPT, Camp Staff, and have dealt with YP issues personally, I got voluntold I am one of the 2 trainers for it in my district.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness, if only there had been some advance notice of this deadline...

I suspect all the training folks I've worked with over the years would absolutely agree with this statement.  What they and I don't agree with is National mandating training and the Council's turning

I can understand the frustration some folks are having, depending on how their District or Council has approached the whole YPT thing. I know that we started discussing this is our monthly Commis

2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Biggest challenge we is the district is essentially dead. We have not had a DE in several years, having to share one with other districts. Between the various membership changes, we have lost the bulk of our district committee, as well as several units. The few remaining district committee members we had have not appreciated how the professionals have treated us, so either immediately resigned, or gave notices. Right now,  I only see a District Commissioner. DE and District Chair have been MIA since June and April respectively. I stepped down in May, but no one has seen hide not hair of my replacement, so I am trying to keep thigs going. Since I have taught YPT, Venturing YPT, Camp Staff, and have dealt with YP issues personally, I got voluntold I am one of the 2 trainers for it in my district.

That's a shame. 

This is something I'm concerned about happening longer term in my area too.  While it's certainly very possible for units to survive without a district - I worry about the smaller units who benefit most from the programming, training, and encouragement the district provides.

Hopefully we'll start to see more outreach to experienced Scouters and we'll see the districts grow again.

Feedback in our unit is the new YPT seems a bit overkill and heavy handed.

Seems less the like old one..how to be compliant and adhere to YPT, and has now morphed into selling me that child exploitation is bad, we are likely all on board with that idea.  Also children are in danger, predators abound, be fearful, be watchful, be vigilant

Wonder how this will play with new leaders, hope it doesn't scare any off

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Jameson76 said:

Feedback in our unit is the new YPT seems a bit overkill and heavy handed.

Seems less the like old one..how to be compliant and adhere to YPT, and has now morphed into selling me that child exploitation is bad, we are likely all on board with that idea.  Also children are in danger, predators abound, be fearful, be watchful, be vigilant

Wonder how this will play with new leaders, hope it doesn't scare any off

I had the same response from my current leaders with the same concerns expressed.

• Upvote 1

I hate the new YPT. 

Getting CoR's updated has been a HUGE pain. Before I could meet with a CoR one on one and get them trained rather quickly, that's almost impossible now with the Powerpoint. 

It's also been a huge roadblock in starting new units. I can't get all the new parents trained in a group setting because of how long it takes. I have to rely on them to get it done individually, which means the pack can't get started in a timely fashion, which tends to anger the dudes with the corner offices. 

46 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

The old one, as cheesy as it was, was a far better TRAINING tool. 

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

Hopefully we'll start to see more outreach to experienced Scouters and we'll see the districts grow again.

One thing that concerns me is the level of "expereinced" Scouters, especially at the Cub level. I am helping with Webelos 1s at the moment because their 'expereinced" den leader doesn't like to camp, and would not do Webelos since they need to camp to advance. On thing that blew my mind was that they "earned " Whittling Chip last year, but neither one of them is allowed to haev a pocket knife. Assigned Whittling Chip to my Den Chief to teach in 2 weeks. Another thing that concerns me, they have not gone on a single camping trip in the 3 years they have been in the packs.

6 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One thing that concerns me is the level of "expereinced" Scouters, especially at the Cub level. I am helping with Webelos 1s at the moment because their 'expereinced" den leader doesn't like to camp, and would not do Webelos since they need to camp to advance. On thing that blew my mind was that they "earned " Whittling Chip last year, but neither one of them is allowed to haev a pocket knife. Assigned Whittling Chip to my Den Chief to teach in 2 weeks. Another thing that concerns me, they have not gone on a single camping trip in the 3 years they have been in the packs.

A Webelos leader that doesn't like to camp is not unusual. You have heard me say it a lot, the BSA looses almost 50% of Webelos IIs because their program is boring. Burnout and unhappy leaders are the main cause.

When I was a Webelos, males leaders were expected to take over the scouts for the Webelos experience. But times have changed, moms who take on Tigers is expected to continue through Webelos II. We tried to get packs to plan a head for Webelos with leaders who are comfortable outdoors. But, finding leaders willing to take over at Webelos is challenging enough without finding one with outdoors experienced. Our district tried to match up these boring dens with troop leaders who would come in and assist the leader in the program. Works pretty good. A Den Chief can help a lot too, but a troop leaders is still good to have in the back ground because some of these Webelos leaders just aren't into planning den meetings. 

I wouldn't worry about the scouts not camping. It's nice, but boys join troops for the expectations of adventure. The SM just needs to take care of these guys during their first couple of campouts. I once had a den of 8 Webelos who had never camped join and earn eagle. We had another den of Webelos that had camped every month for the last two years join and they all quit in three months. They were better at scout skills than some of our third year scouts, so they were bored on campouts. The key to these scouts is get them excited about the troop program so they are looking forward to it. And, take them on a couple of Saturday visits to troop campouts.

Barry

3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

This is why I'm hoping to see more Scouters start getting involved outside their packs & troops.

With fewer volunteers, we're seeing fewer trainings, roundtables, etc.  I think it's resulted in less institutional knowledge passed from experienced leaders to newer leaders.  Myself, I think that's a part of what we see.  I think it's a shame that we're loosing that - especially in this period where we'll hopefully see an increase in membership and leaders. 

I'm hopeful that some folks will recognize that and start to engage more.

I'm hopeful that some folks will recognize that and start to engage more.

As long as councils are requiring training sessions to earn a 15% profit, requiring long-term scouters to get every penny of every expense approved in advance, stiffing the volunteers if they go over budget, etc. it'll get worse before it gets better.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

As long as councils are requiring training sessions to earn a 15% profit, requiring long-term scouters to get every penny of every expense approved in advance, stiffing the volunteers if they go over budget, etc. it'll get worse before it gets better.

Yep, same thing here.

18 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

As long as councils are requiring training sessions to earn a 15% profit

I've wondered about this before (especially when I serve as a UoS instructor and they want me to pay $5 for a poorly made necker). Is it literally true?

Edited by Saltface

This is why I'm hoping to see more Scouters start getting involved outside their packs & troops.

Just for myself, I have no plans to ever get involved at the district or council level.  I have just seen too much "politics" at that level, and they don't seem to treat the volunteers very well, especially the newer ones.  I believe that all of that would get in the way of whatever benefit I could provide.  I suspect I am not the only unit Scouter who feels that way.,

11 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Just for myself, I have no plans to ever get involved at the district or council level.  I have just seen too much "politics" at that level, and they don't seem to treat the volunteers very well, especially the newer ones.  I believe that all of that would get in the way of whatever benefit I could provide.  I suspect I am not the only unit Scouter who feels that way.,

For what it's worth - I don't really think folks need to be a district or council level volunteer.  If you don't like your district or council folks - that's your call.

I just think there's a ton of experience our there that newer Scouters miss out on.  I'd love to see that experience tapped to teach and guide newer Scouters.  Folks to serve as trainers at courses and roundtable - that kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Saltface said:

I've wondered about this before (especially when I serve as a UoS instructor and they want me to pay $5 for a poorly made necker). Is it literally true?

Be glad your council only mandates a 15 percent profit. Mine requires more. That’s why UoS instructors pay the same registration fee as participants.