I know that the deadline for all registered leaders to complete YPT2 is 10/1/2018.  As SM, I have taken it.  As a Committee Member, my wife has also.  I don't know if anyone else has yet.  We are a small Troop and don't have many more than the minimum number of leaders.  What happens on 10/2/2018 if we have some leaders who have not completed YPT2?  I've been emailing & reminding them about it, but haven't gotten much response.  I've only heard from one Committee Member who said she's not going to recharter next year, so she's not taking it.  Our recharter is due 1/1/19.  I haven't gotten any response from our COR or pastor either, as they each need to do it also.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness, if only there had been some advance notice of this deadline...

I suspect all the training folks I've worked with over the years would absolutely agree with this statement.  What they and I don't agree with is National mandating training and the Council's turning

I can understand the frustration some folks are having, depending on how their District or Council has approached the whole YPT thing. I know that we started discussing this is our monthly Commis

Same here, SM and ASM's and some other adult leaders have or will meet that deadline. No spouses of those leaders and no other parents as of yet despite reminders . Hard to press them  in Sept  for one more hour with all the outings, fundraisers, Eagle projects, as well as school, family,... where they are helping and some of them have already taken another YP for school,  church, clubs, and sports volunteering. 

From what I've heard on Facebook.  If your current leaders do not take it before the cutoff, when it comes to recharter, they will not be on the charter, and you will have to get a new adult application and YPT to register them. 

Edited by scotteg83
7 hours ago, awanatech said:

What happens on 10/2/2018 if we have some leaders who have not completed YPT2?

What we have been told as Commissioners is that anyone who has not updated to the new version of YPT by 10/1/18 will have their registration terminated.  In order to recharter they would then have to fill out a new adult application and submit it, along with a current YPT certificate.

I have been reminding people in my units, and have seen a lot of waiting until the last minute.  In my own pack and troop we are seeing the same, although we are down to only one in the pack.  I am pretty sure that we have several in the troop who will end up lapsing.  When that happens, we will see if they actually disappear from our troop roster.

I waited until last week so that I would be covered for WSJ and any other activities the following summer. I think now is a good time to rally your adults to get it done so they are prepared for next summer and the one after.

If you need to train a lot of adults, talk to your DC about bringing a trainer in to administer the course during one of your meetings.

3 hours ago, qwazse said:

I waited until last week so that I would be covered for WSJ and any other activities the following summer. I think now is a good time to rally your adults to get it done so they are prepared for next summer and the one after.

If you need to train a lot of adults, talk to your DC about bringing a trainer in to administer the course during one of your meetings.

That's how we get tedious trainings done. Get a trainer (generally me) to conduct the training at a meeting, where those folks typically are anyways. 

Edited by Sentinel947
7 hours ago, scotteg83 said:

From what I've heard on Facebook.  If your current leaders do not take it before the cutoff, when it comes to recharter, they will not be on the charter, and you will have to get a new adult application and YPT to register them. 

7 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

What we have been told as Commissioners is that anyone who has not updated to the new version of YPT by 10/1/18 will have their registration terminated.  In order to recharter they would then have to fill out a new adult application and submit it, along with a current YPT certificate.

This is what I've been told as well.

I'd like to know who's idea it was to A) make the deadline smack dab in the middle of Round Up season when all the new volunteers will need it in addition to all existing volunteers, and B) why do they not want a live version of the class if possible?

There have already been issues with the servers not working, crashing, and being overloaded due to technical issues, summer camp requirements, day camp requirements, etc. Now you those who waited AND new scouters.

As for live classes, the hoops you have to jump through to conduct one are driving some folks nuts. And in areas like mine where folks are still on dial up, connectivity is an issue. One person too over 4 hours to do the training. Another spent 40 minutes just to download M Surbaugh's 2 minute introductory speach.

10 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

and B) why do they not want a live version of the class if possible?

As for live classes, the hoops you have to jump through to conduct one are driving some folks nuts.

I dont understand the issues some folks have reported with getting in person training.  My training team has been doing a session about once a week for several weeks.  National has provided all of the materials to hold the session.  The only "thing" is - the material specifically says that a) the material should not be posted to any online locations and b) the sessions should only be presented by members of the council/district training team.  That is - they dont want units holding the sessions for themselves.

My only insight as to why so restrictive comes from another statement in the material - it says that the material in the session could bring up strong feelings for someone who has been through an abuse situation.  It offers guidance to the trainers about how to warn people at the start and how to be supportive of someone who needs to leave the room etc.

The ironic part is that the training team has received no extra training about how to hold this session so I dont know what makes us more qualified than any other leader.  

In my council, we got the syllabus and supporting documents to conduct live YPT2 training last month.  it is on a thumb drive, and is not to be duplicated. That is causing issues

As @jjlash stated, there is no additional training for trainers to conduct this. Sadly, I need to use my own personal experiences on this topic.

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

In my council, we got the syllabus and supporting documents to conduct live YPT2 training last month.  it is on a thumb drive, and is not to be duplicated. That is causing issues

As @jjlash stated, there is no additional training for trainers to conduct this. Sadly, I need to use my own personal experiences on this topic.

Wow - just got the materials last month, that makes it tough to really help people get udpated.  We got the materials in early April.

16 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I'd like to know who's idea it was to A) make the deadline smack dab in the middle of Round Up season when all the new volunteers will need it in addition to all existing volunteers, and B) why do they not want a live version of the class if possible?

I can understand the frustration some folks are having, depending on how their District or Council has approached the whole YPT thing.

I know that we started discussing this is our monthly Commissioner meetings back in February, when the new YPT was first available.  I took it right away, and while there were network issues, I was able to complete it within a few days.

I have been reminding leaders in my units for the past 8 months that Sunday's deadline was coming.  I have spoken to people face to face, sent e-mails, texts, we have made numerous announcements at every Roundtable starting in February.  We have offered live classes and I offered a couple of units the opportunity to use our school computer lab for better internet access.

At this late date, it is up to those who have yet to complete YPT to do so in the next 5 days.  Our District shows 232 set to expire on 9/30.  I know that a large number of those are people whose sons moved from a pack to a troop this year, and are no longer active leaders.  A good number of them are merit badge counselors who are also no longer active.  I am realistic enough, however, to realize that we will have a lot of current leaders who will lapse, simply due to procrastination.  I cannot feel sorry for them, they have had every opportunity to get it done.

• Upvote 1