Tomahawk & Bow Recomendations

First question:   Where do  you go to use such things?  Second: Who is the Trained BSA Range Officer ?   I have never heard of a Troop operating such things on their own. Gotta have a Council sanctioned range and Range Officer, yes?  Private range ? Archery Club?  Tomahawk Throwing Club ?  

On 09/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, SSScout said:

First question:   Where do  you go to use such things?  Second: Who is the Trained BSA Range Officer ?   I have never heard of a Troop operating such things on their own. Gotta have a Council sanctioned range and Range Officer, yes?  Private range ? Archery Club?  Tomahawk Throwing Club ?  

http://www.ncacbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NCAC-So-You-Want-to-Hold-a-Shooting-Actvity-February-Printing.pdf

Sounds like if you follow this councils lead, you can easily hold your own shooting events.

Edited by scotteg83
  • Upvote 1
On 09/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, qwazse said:

:rolleyes: Funny how when I was a kid, I thought the shooting sports program at camp existed to show me how to set up my range safely.

Not saying what we did was proper,

but as a Scout, we had a yearly campout at an Assistant Scoutmaster's property the weekend of thanksgiving.  We used the farm field next door to shoot rifles, shotguns, black powder, and hand guns. Then had a wonderful spit roasted venison for dinner.  One of my best scout memories growing up.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, StmbtEagle said:

Our Troop is looking to update the throwing tomahawks and bow's we use for Scouts.  Any recommendations out there?

Thanks in advance

Curious what you are throwing the tomahawks into?  We have some, and have not found anything (other than large end cut logs) to throw into.  Sort of tough to tote about.  We have not found a good portable target.

We have a knife throwing target, a good piece of basic 1/2" plywood on a frame works well.  Easy to setup and move, load into the trailer.  Rope of an area off and have at it.  The light weight throw knifes are inexpensive and only need a tune-up on a grinder occasionally.