Webelos II requirements - what if we've already done some?

We are trying to finish up our requirements for Webelos II to get our Arrow of Light. Some of the requirements we've done before - we've gone geocaching several times, for example.

Is the expectation that we should do that requirement that year? I'm sure the boys would love to go geocaching again, but if anyone misses that meeting, can I go ahead and give them credit for when we did it last year? Thanks for the help!

The standard I was taught and used was while at the level they are at. So Something done as a Wolf, would not count. But something done as a first year Webelos, aka 4th grade Webelos aka Webelos 1 can count towards  it since Webelos is 18-24 months normally. LDS units compress that into 12 months

• Upvote 2

My impression of the webelos program is that it is intended as a 1.5-2 year process. You can earn the pins in any order, with the general idea that you earn the web core ones in the first year to get that rank and then the aol core ones the next year, but you can work on aol elements while a 4th grader.

We had a situation where we had to combine the Webelos 1 and Webelos 2 dens. It was interesting. The Webelos 1 got all the AOL required pins earned first, and used them the Electives for Webelos Badge. Once the Webelos 2s left, then they did the required Webelos Badge pins. Then as new Webelos 2s  they did nothing but electives to get the required 14 pins total that are needed for both Webelos and Arrow of Light. They started before the December 2016 advancement changes, and just continued on using those requirements. 

I do believe they have to do this as Webelos, but I would think it should be OK if they did AOL requirements while at the one rank.

It's frustrating, I know.  There are Scout/Tenderfoot requirements that scouts already did in Webelos but have to do again.  We don't skip anything, but I wish we could give them credit for what they did in Webelos. I understand it's important to know they can do the skills and work on them as Boy Scouts.

Webelos covers both the Webelos and Arrow of Light Badges. I think it was a mistake to call the 5th Grade Webelos "Arrow of Light Scouts" since they are using the Webelos book still, the electives can be used for either choices, etc. This has caused some confusion, especially with newer volunteers. I had a discussion with someone on this topic. They were adamant about 4th graders not working on AOL requirements until summer. When I asked, What about LDS Webelos workingon both atthe same time, they were dumbfounded. 

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, KCBaseballFan said:

We are trying to finish up our requirements for Webelos II to get our Arrow of Light. Some of the requirements we've done before - we've gone geocaching several times, for example.

Is the expectation that we should do that requirement that year? I'm sure the boys would love to go geocaching again, but if anyone misses that meeting, can I go ahead and give them credit for when we did it last year? Thanks for the help!

If they did the requirement in a Bear den, then it doesn't count.  If they did the requirement in a Webelos den (4th or 5th grade), then it does count.

Which requirements version are you using?  Geocaching is no longer a requirement of the Outdoorsman adventure pin (formerly called Camper).

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/aol-core.asp

30 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Webelos covers both the Webelos and Arrow of Light Badges. I think it was a mistake to call the 5th Grade Webelos "Arrow of Light Scouts" since they are using the Webelos book still, the electives can be used for either choices, etc. This has caused some confusion, especially with newer volunteers. I had a discussion with someone on this topic. They were adamant about 4th graders not working on AOL requirements until summer. When I asked, What about LDS Webelos workingon both atthe same time, they were dumbfounded. 

Just adding to your point, the Arrow of Light rank requirement says:

"1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months...."

So, they are still Webelos Scouts in Webelos dens even when they are in the 5th grade and working towards their Arrow of Light rank.

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

If they did the requirement in a Bear den, then it doesn't count.  If they did the requirement in a Webelos den (4th or 5th grade), then it does count.

Which requirements version are you using?  Geocaching is no longer a requirement of the Outdoorsman adventure pin (formerly called Camper).

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/aol-core.asp

Thanks for all the input, that makes a lot of sense to see Webelos I/II as one curriculum.

I'm working off a book and den leader guide I purchased last year (2017), and it has geocaching, but this is an outdated copy already? That's a bit irritating, now I have to go back and make sure our curriculum last year was met.

9 minutes ago, KCBaseballFan said:

Thanks for all the input, that makes a lot of sense to see Webelos I/II as one curriculum.

I'm working off a book and den leader guide I purchased last year (2017), and it has geocaching, but this is an outdated copy already? That's a bit irritating, now I have to go back and make sure our curriculum last year was met.

Yes, the BSA modified the requirements in December 2016 and put out an addendum for each den level.  The new handbooks / den leader guides are supposed to have the new requirements.  Here is a link to the Webelos addendum:

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/cubscouts/pdf/WEBELOS_AOL_Addendum.pdf

Don't worry about stuff that you've already signed off on as completed (Webelos rank, adventures, etc.).

Yeah, they took out the geocaching requirement with last year's addendum and it isn't required in the new book. 

I admit I always found separate Webelos 1 and 2 dens to be a very odd creation. Being an LDS Webelos Den Leader, I have one year to do all the requirements, but we don't take summers off and every boy has a straight 12 months to get it all done. Since we don't get slowed down for a season, my boys usually finish both the Webelos rank and the AofL within the required 3 and 6 month time frames, with plenty of time to work on outdoor activity awards, world conservation awards, and lots of elective adventures too. And sometimes they have to repeat stuff for boys who haven't gotten as far along - that's fine; I always tell them that it's a chance to help out newer boys with the things they've already learned. 

However packs may decide to split the Webelos program, the fact remains that the minute a boy becomes a Webelos Scout, everything he does counts towards all requirements until he leaves the Cub Scout program - regardless of whether a local unit moves him into some artificial "older" den. Officially, there is no such thing as "Webelos 1 and 2" or "Arrow of Light dens" or whatever. There are Webelos Scouts and Webelos dens. It's all one program, using one book, wearing one uniform. 

Edited by The Latin Scot
4 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

Yeah, they took out the geocaching requirement with last year's addendum and it isn't required in the new book. 

I'm not working with Webelos so bear with me.

DID THEY REPLACE THE GEOCACHING REQUIREMENT WITH ORIENTEERING, AKA MAP AND COMPASS? (caps for emphasis, not shouting)

I admit I though it was a mistake to require geocaching, but not basic orienteering. So I am happy that geocaching is gone. But did map and compass replace it? If not that is another mistake by national.

1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

I teach some anyway just to prepare them for Boy Scouts AND because it's just an important life skill. 

Forgot one, BECAUSE IT'S FUN! ;)  (yeah I'm screaming that at ya :)-  )

Seriously though, that is a major mistake. Remembers doing a pirates' orienteering course with the goal of finding the treasure, ICE COLD CAPRI SUNS!

• Haha 2