1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Grubmaster is a real role in the sense that it is in the Patrol Leader's Handbook.  But like most other patrol positions (Assistant Patrol Leader, Patrol Scribe, Cheermaster, etc.), it does not fulfill the POR requirement for Star, Life, and Eagle.  Patrol Leader is the only patrol position that does qualify as a POR for Star, Life, and Eagle.  It's an important position, though.  After all, somebody's got to do the grocery shopping and cook!  😀

If the youth is also using it as teaching moments - for example, taking the new Scout patrol to the grocery store and showing them how to shop (buying store brand versus name brand to keep budget in check, how to figure out quantity to buy, etc) that becomes an Instructor POR, and does count for rank.

Edited by HashTagScouts
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Maxwell17 said:

After this camp out he will be ready for his 1st class SMC and BOR.  He will then be looking to get an aproved POR.  He has 17 nights of camping and has 8 MB (4 eagle required).  My original question work itself out last night.  We have an active troop and he's excited about helping the rest of his patrol enjoy as they advance.  I see where some say advancement shouldn't be the main goal and they're right.  He love looking at the requirements and figuring which ones can be done one his trips. 

Advancement not the main goal for sure, but I would give my $.02 that if advancement is being FORCED it isn't what you want, but if your son has figured out when/how to maximize his opportunities, and that leads to advancement say faster than his patrol mates who are not doing so, I have no issue with that.  My son had the same opportunities as his patrol mates, but he is Eagle and a few are just getting to Star.  Not my sons fault at all, he just didn't leave partial MBs for two years, and volunteered with his new SPL every term to help out with whatever was needed.

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Grubmaster is a real role in the sense that it is in the Patrol Leader's Handbook.  But like most other patrol positions (Assistant Patrol Leader, Patrol Scribe, Cheermaster, etc.), it does not fulfill the POR requirement for Star, Life, and Eagle.  Patrol Leader is the only patrol position that does qualify as a POR for Star, Life, and Eagle.  It's an important position, though.  After all, somebody's got to do the grocery shopping and cook!  😀

I guess this falls into hour our troop works.  In our troop, each patrol chooses a "grub master" for each camp out.  We don't use the term "grub master".  The PL works with his patrol to decide who is shopping for food.  Then, the PL and that scout lead the discussion and note taking meal plans and the shopping list.

37 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

If the youth is also using it as teaching moments - for example, taking the new Scout patrol to the grocery store and showing them how to shop (buying store brand versus name brand to keep budget in check, how to figure out quantity to buy, etc) that becomes an Instructor POR, and does count for rank.

Yep.  Choice of words and specifics often changes the answer.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

Could also fall under the POR of Troop Guide.

Another option for Star and Life ranks is to "to carry out a Scoutmaster-approved leadership project to help the troop".