Senior Scouts taking Youth Protection Training

The new Youth Protection training is well presented. The changes have occasioned us to review our policies regarding YPT. Like many other troops, we have separate youth protection policies that we must follow from our Chartering Organization as well. 

I'm considering recommending the following text for our statement on Youth Protection: 

We require all registered leaders to be familiar with CO's policies and to have current certification in BSA Youth Protection training. We require parents, volunteers and scouts to abide by these standards at all times
We require youth protection training for all registered leaders and volunteers who attend overnight events.
We recommend youth protection training for all parents and all senior scouts (SPL, ASPL, & age 16/17).

The requirement for volunteers/parents who join overnight events to get YPT is not required by BSA, but we think it's wise to do so. It only takes a little over an hour, and this is probably the only way our active parents will take the training. 

We're also considering "recommending" that parents and all senior scouts (SPL, ASPL, & age 16/17) take it. Realistically, I want our senior scouts to be familiar with the policies, and the best way to do that, is for them to take the training. Especially as they guide scouts who are 5-7 years younger than themselves.

Have other troop recommended this for SPL or older scouts? What do others think of these proposed troop policies?

YIS,
Scoutmaster-P

54 minutes ago, ScoutmasterP said:

Have other troop recommended this for SPL or older scouts? What do others think of these proposed troop policies?

YIS,
Scoutmaster-P

@ScoutmasterP welcome to scouter.com. 

We have not,  worth considering.  I would add the frequency of CO and BSA YPT recertification. 

I have taken both versions (old and new) of YPT due to staffing a CS Day Camp and a BS summer camp. I don’t know how helpful to help someone like me (a youth), to learn about things that are sort of common sense. Troops could easily have a quick session highlighting the important details instead of trying to get a teenager to watch a hour training video. 

Edited by ItsBrian
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t know how helpful to help someone like me (a youth), to learn about things that are sort of common sense.

*chuckle* If it was really common sense, then we would not have so much confusion about it here and other places - and we would have far less violations of it. :D

I see common violations of it all the time as it pertains to email contact in particular.

• Upvote 1

What I think...

YPT for overnight volunteers: Unless required by CO, why made additional rules?  Inform them of no one on one contact, but apply BSA criteria of 72 hours. 

YPT for parents:  Recommend... No. / Inform... Yes as simple as a sheet summarizing CO and BSA Youth Protection (inmcluding YPT online opportunity and abuse reporting #) in your new Scout registration papers. 

YPT for older scouts:  Recommend... No.  In normal course they shoulod be aware of buddy system, no one on one adult/youth, tenting age differences, etc

Keep It Simple... Minimize Troop rules, bylaws, administration,

3 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

*chuckle* If it was really common sense, then we would not have so much confusion about it here and other places - and we would have far less violations of it. :D

I see common violations of it all the time as it pertains to email contact in particular.

I didn’t mean that there were no mistakes, but I meant instead of trying to teach a teen something they think is “common sense”, it may be easier to verbally give a quicker session of it.

Thank you for all of the comments. Very helpful! 

I agree with the idea to keep it simple and not burden people with unnecessary rules. On the other hand, we also need to ensure a safe environment.

ItsBrian, I enjoyed your comment! I suspect that you feel the youth protection training is "common sense" because you've had the training multiple times and grew up in a troop where it's enforced. I also want my senior scouts to feel that it's "common sense."  I can assure you that, to people without your background, it will not be common sense. 

After this discussion here and with members of my troop, I think I'm going to propose the "required" sentence to be only BSA rules.

We require youth protection training for all registered leaders and volunteers who attend events over 72 hours.
We recommend youth protection training for all parents and all senior scouts (SPL, ASPL, & age 16/17).

By "recommending" that all parents and senior scouts take YPT, I hope that we can create an environment where YP becomes common sense. Yesterday, I talked with my older scouts who have taken YPT (for summer camp staff), and they said it was helpful. They encouraged keeping older scouts in the "recommended" category. Few parents or scouts will actually take the training if they don't have to. But by recommending it for a broader group, it will create the common understanding that YP is everyone's responsibility and anyone can take the training.

1 hour ago, ScoutmasterP said:

Thank you for all of the comments. Very helpful! 

I agree with the idea to keep it simple and not burden people with unnecessary rules. On the other hand, we also need to ensure a safe environment.

ItsBrian, I enjoyed your comment! I suspect that you feel the youth protection training is "common sense" because you've had the training multiple times and grew up in a troop where it's enforced. I also want my senior scouts to feel that it's "common sense."  I can assure you that, to people without your background, it will not be common sense. 

After this discussion here and with members of my troop, I think I'm going to propose the "required" sentence to be only BSA rules.

By "recommending" that all parents and senior scouts take YPT, I hope that we can create an environment where YP becomes common sense. Yesterday, I talked with my older scouts who have taken YPT (for summer camp staff), and they said it was helpful. They encouraged keeping older scouts in the "recommended" category. Few parents or scouts will actually take the training if they don't have to. But by recommending it for a broader group, it will create the common understanding that YP is everyone's responsibility and anyone can take the training.

I still reccomend handing a quick sheet to the older scouts that show no interest in taking YPT so they have at least a little knowledge about it.

• Like 1

When I have to update my training, I have had my sons sit with me and go through it too - safe swim, weather, climb-on, trek, etc. I added youth protection to their mix as well. 

I wanted them to hear from the BSA why we do things the way we do, and then we had some great conversations as well. Some of this is tough for many parents to discuss with their kids, and doing the videos together can help open up conversations.

My two cent.

• Like 1