Is "Adding Requirements" the new/old buzz phrase?

59 minutes ago, qwazse said:

And, if I were king of the world I would lift the age 18 deadline. Can't pass BoR as a scout? Come back when you're a trained ASM and see if you figured out how to command the respect that you couldn't before.

Shesh, I just wanted to be the king of the BSA. You want to be king of the WHOLE WORLD! 

If I were king of the WHOLE WORLD, everybody would have a Harley. And an Eagle.

Barry

• Haha 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see much value in today's boards of review.  May as well call them what they are.  Square filler.  A super friendly chat with people who really, really believe in you. Everyone concerned-

Scouters love to argue how to do scouting.  Years ago I probably said no adding requirements because of things happening locally.  But these days I'm just worn out on certain phrases.  "adding to the

Having a scout recite the scout oath and law does not constitute adding requirements. Demanding that a scout complete additional nights of camping, serve additional months as active or serve additiona

I don't see much value in today's boards of review.  May as well call them what they are.  Square filler.  A super friendly chat with people who really, really believe in you.

Everyone concerned--adults and scouts--knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the scout has made it to that point, they've passed.  Barring some minor administrative issue, of course. 

Alas, our scouts are better than that. 

Yes, the boards from old days were hard.  No guarantee of passing.   But the pride you saw at the court of honor...you'd think that new First Class badge was made of pure gold.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Treflienne said:

If the scout were not a U.S. citizen,  he might politely explain why he does not say the Pledge of Allegience (to the flag and to the republic).    But I assume any scouters would be sympathetic to such a special case.

or if the scout were a Jehovas Witness whereby their religious doctrine prohibits such "pledges", or a multitude of other reasons.

5 hours ago, Eagledad said:

You don't think so? Hmm, and what if the scout refuses to recite the oath or law during his BOR. Pass, fail?

What if the BOR (or EBOR) decide to start the review with the Pledge of Allegiance and the scout refuses?

Sound silly! Excepting for the the Pledge of Allegiance, I have seen these examples more than once. 

I don't ever remember hearing the phrase "adding requirements" while I was a scout. I do remember being asked to demonstrate a knot or two and show how to make a splint using my neckerchief. Hmm, was I abused! 

No matter what side we are on with Adding Requirements, I believe the adults have taken this horrible action so out of context that they have lost the perspective in the big picture of developing citizens of character and leaders of integrity.

I admit seeing the "adding requirements" used so much over the past few years with the intent to force power over someone that hearing the phrase makes me sick anytime I hear now. 

My example points out that any person using the phrase becomes an instant hypocrite because every adult has some personal expectation of the scouts that isn't directly prohibited in the manuals. 

If adults can't find a moral wrong for making request of the scouts, then maybe they should evaluate why they are personally offended. If the adult's request is for the purpose to achieve a personal objective (such as requiring Older Scouts to attend all SM Conferences on camp outs to force more older scouts to camp outs), then state why it's wrong without the cover of "adding requirements." 

Barry

I would think a Scout refusing to answer a question or refuse to recite the Scout Oath or Law would fall under "Scout Spirit"  If there was a "Scout Spirit" issue in our Troop, the Scout might not have a successful BOR.  I have had many discussions with the "Committee" not wanting to convene a BOR because one of the Board didn't think the Scout showed enough Scout Spirit.  I had to remind them that they can not refuse a BOR.  They do not have to recommend the Scout gets rank but they should have a very good reason not granting it.  That being said, I am a Scouting traditionalist and feel the Scout should proudly wear the uniform to all formal events.  If a Scout can't afford one, I would have no problem purchasing one for him.  I would rather do that than have a potential Scout not join because of money.  As I don't agree with all the changes that BSA has made, I still feel that the BSA program gives these boys more opportunities to become better people. 

• Upvote 1
On 9/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, Eagledad said:

We tried an experiment where we included a senior scout in the board. It made all the difference in the world getting the young scouts comfortable. 

We do that, for every rank through Life.  Under the Guide to Advancement it is absolutely prohibited.  We do it anyway.  It was being done in the troop before I started and nobody has ever questioned it.  When I became Advancement Chair there were several aspects of our BOR's that were not by the book, and I proceeded to change the important ones.  I never thought this one was very important.

1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

We do that, for every rank through Life.  Under the Guide to Advancement it is absolutely prohibited.  We do it anyway.  It was being done in the troop before I started and nobody has ever questioned it.  When I became Advancement Chair there were several aspects of our BOR's that were not by the book, and I proceeded to change the important ones.  I never thought this one was very important.

What is your opinion of it? Good, bad, ugly. (need a Clint Eastwood music emoji here) 

Barry