What are your Units doing this fall?

Many topics on 72 hour rule, recent additions of Scouting magazine, etc etc.  Real question is what are units doing this fall that is first and foremost FUN and selected and planned by the Scouts in the unit?  Most important thing is keeping the OUTING in Scouting

For our unit this fall:

• Outing at the lake with boats, tubing, canoes, swimming
  • Kayaking trek, working with local outfitter
  • Biking on a rails to trails converted train path (25 - 50 miles depending on your stamina)
  • Canyoneering through a State Park gorge, maybe take in a drive-in movie on the Saturday night
  • Webelos visitation outing with skills classes and pioneering fun

• Upvote 2

Highlights of the term are

The annual monopoly run. An evening of chaos as the troop are let loose on an unsuspecting Cambridge public to complete various tasks round the town centre.

Christmas trip to the local pantomime (I understand this is a peculiarly British thing so nudge me if the concept needs explaining)

Inter Patrol cook off. Not sure what format this will take yet, a couple of the PLs are planning it. Although I am personally a fan of getting some tins. Taking off the label and getting each patrol to take one blind to include in their recipie! Ooh I'm 'orrible to them :)

2 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

Christmas trip to the local pantomime (I understand this is a peculiarly British thing so nudge me if the concept needs explaining)

Is that like the Pantomime horse from Monty Python?  Literally everything I know about the British I learned from Monty Python episodes.  

Image result for pantomime horse monty python

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Is that like the Pantomime horse from Monty Python?  Literally everything I know about the British I learned from Monty Python episodes.  

Image result for pantomime horse monty python

Well indeed there is normally a panto horse or cow (I was the back end of the cow in a school production of Jack and the Beanstalk! I was later bestman at the wedding of the front end of the cow. True story!) but there is more to it than that. It is normally two hours of pure slapstick silliness based on a classic children's story. Our local panto this year is Alladin. Cinderella and Jack and The Bean Stalk are also both common ones. The main male character is always played by a woman and the main female by a man. A character called Buttons (unlucky in love nice guy who gets friend zoned by the girl) is normally shoe horned into whatever story it is. There's plenty of "he's behind you" and "oh yes he is/oh no he isn't" and general audience participation. The very best ones normally get some satire in there as well. Frankly the script writers must be spoiled for choice this year with the amount of world wide nonsense to satirise!

Have a look on Youtube, there's loads to get an idea of.

10 hours ago, Saltface said:
  • Canoeing and camping
  • Learning to weld/metalwork
  • Backpacking excursion
  • Visit the Grand Canyon

There's at least one more item but I can't remember what they decided without looking at my calendar.

Tour a Titan missile silo and an as-yet-undefined shooting sports event were the other two. 

Well I work with a Webelos group, so our adventures are a little different that the legit adventures you big boys go on. ;)

At our weekly den meetings, we'll be working on the Duty to God, Art Explosion, Cast Iron Chef and Bigger, Faster Stronger adventures through Halloween

Our pack's yearly Cub Scout Outdoor Saturday and Family Campfire Night is later this month

In October, we'll be going to our district's Fall Camporall with the Troop. They'll be camping overnight, and we'll join them early Saturday morning to spend the rest of the day with them for all the activities and events

Trips to the local art museum and to the city council chambers to meet our municipal leadership are planned

Scouting for Food in November