3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

But what about "Family Scouting?"

I've yet to meet any parents who want what you all keep referring to as "Family Scouting." 

Every parent I talk with wants their kids to have a great Scouting experience - have fun, learn a lot, enjoy camping, develop some new skills.  I've never met anyone who joined a Boy Scout troop so they can go on family camping trips.  Those folks that want family camping go family camping.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/  is the most up to date location moving forward for the Barriers to Abuse.    A one source of truth if you will.   The "72 hours rule" is All adul

I've yet to meet any parents who want what you all keep referring to as "Family Scouting."  Every parent I talk with wants their kids to have a great Scouting experience - have fun, learn a lot,

That is funny.  That is not what the Guide To Safe Scouting says.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, ParkMan said:

I've yet to meet any parents who want what you all keep referring to as "Family Scouting." 

Every parent I talk with wants their kids to have a great Scouting experience - have fun, learn a lot, enjoy camping, develop some new skills.  I've never met anyone who joined a Boy Scout troop so they can go on family camping trips.  Those folks that want family camping go family camping.

Sadly  I've met some, and they are in my troop. They see no problem with bringing everyone to a Scout camp out.

I finally received a response to my email. I didn't get the same answer as @scotteg83. Nor did I get a clarification. Instead, she threw something entirely new out there. I'm just going to assume they don't really know the answer.

My email:

Hello,
I was recently discussing the new YPT rules with some fellow scouters. There were two different understandings of how the following applies:
 All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.

Are the 72 hours cumulative (carrying over from event to event) or does the clock reset for each event?

For example, if an adult attends four different 24-hour camp outs over the course of four months, do they need to be registered?

Thanks.

The response:

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/03/16/every-scouter-must-complete-the-updated-youth-protection-training-by-oct-1-2018//

Effective June 1, 2018:

Adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders/adults. This includes completing a criminal background check and Youth Protection training. The 72 hours attendance need not be consecutive.

If an event is 72 hours or longer the adults must be registered whether they attend for 1 hour or the entire time.  The parents can register as Unit Scouter Reserve, take YPT, and not pay a registration fee. In that position they cannot sit on the committee or ask [act?] as unit leader. 

For additional assistance call us at 972-580-2489 from 7am – 7pm central time Monday – Friday or forward a reply email to MyScouting@Scouting.org and include the *ref#24-2179671 number in the subject line. 

Thank you for your support of Boy Scouts of America.
Member Care Contact Center
Angela

If an event is 72 hours or longer the adults must be registered whether they attend for 1 hour or the entire time.  The parents can register as Unit Scouter Reserve, take YPT, and not pay a registration fee. In that position they cannot sit on the committee or ask [act?] as unit leader.

That doesn't make any sense.  Unit Scouter Reserve (USR) is a unit-level position, and it does require paying the registration fee.  The only way I know of to register and get the criminal background check but avoid paying the registration fee is to register as a merit badge counselor, nova counselor, or supernova mentor (but these 3 positions are council / district level positions - not unit-level).

16 hours ago, RichardB said:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/  is the most up to date location moving forward for the Barriers to Abuse.    A one source of truth if you will.   The "72 hours rule" is All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive." 

The intent of this policy is to protect participants - both youth and adults - and maintain a Safe Scouting environment.  

It is event centric.  Examples of where this applies today in Scouting are resident camps, treks, long term camping.   

Sorry for any confusion.  Can assure you all the member care team is now aligned.   

As you have bantered, there are mixed messages locally.   Some councils may be requiring all folks to be registered, as are some chartered organizations.   That EXCEEDS the Barriers to Abuse, and that's okay.   So if you are hearing something different, might check to see what your local folks have established.  

You might hit the link above if you haven't this week and review some to the linked FAQ's.   

Yours in Scouting, RichardB

I appreciate the response Richard.  Now if we can get the Guide updated to sale Event Centric, or get a memo out to the scouting world.