19 hours ago, Saltface said:

I sent an email on the 6th. How long did you wait for your response?

I'm tempted to email and ask how they determined that people become untrustworthy after 72 hours but are fine before that.

Also, how is their trustworthiness restored when a new scout year starts.

Edited by 69RoadRunner
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/  is the most up to date location moving forward for the Barriers to Abuse.    A one source of truth if you will.   The "72 hours rule" is All adul

I've yet to meet any parents who want what you all keep referring to as "Family Scouting."  Every parent I talk with wants their kids to have a great Scouting experience - have fun, learn a lot,

That is funny.  That is not what the Guide To Safe Scouting says.

44 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I'm tempted to email and ask how they determined that people become untrustworthy after 72 hours but are fine before that.

Also, how is their trustworthiness restored when a new scout year starts.

When I talked with new parents of our Pack last night they were surprised that the BSA allowed parents to stay overnight (even 1 night) with youth without registering as a leader.  Society’s acceptance of organizations who fail to protect youth is pretty low... especially from sexual predators.  I wouldn’t be surprised if BSA requires background checks of every parent spending even one night in the future.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

When I talked with new parents of our Pack last night they were surprised that the BSA allowed parents to stay overnight (even 1 night) with youth without registering as a leader.  Society’s acceptance of organizations who fail to protect youth is pretty low... especially from sexual predators.  I wouldn’t be surprised if BSA requires background checks of every parent spending even one night in the future.

Did you ask them to fill out an application, write a check, and submit to the CBC as a condition of letting their child join?

Edited by walk in the woods
added thought
Just now, walk in the woods said:

Did you ask them to fill out an application, write a check, and submit to the CBC?

I’m pretty sure they would as long as they don’t have to actually provide actual leadership.  They are surprised BSA would allow parents to spend the night who wouldn’t agree to a CBC.

8 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I’m pretty sure they would as long as they don’t have to actually provide actual leadership.  They are surprised BSA would allow parents to spend the night who wouldn’t agree to a CBC.

Interesting.  I suspect if I told prospective parents in my area that it is $35 for your child to join cub scouts, and, $25 for you and any adult that might ever go camping with us for a CBC, they'd walk away shaking their heads.

22 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

If they have daughters they are already familiar with this idea.  As I mentioned before, the GSUSA requires any parent that camps to register.  The other difference there is that parents do not have to camp with younger scouts. 

I think this explains why some of the parents were shocked as they had youth in GSUSA or a YMCA camp... both require parents to register/go through background checks.

23 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

To be clear, if my wife wants to volunteer for GSUSA Troop at even 1 event lasting 1-2 hours she has to pay $25 and register as an adult.  

I am assuming if she wants to stick around, she has to volunteer.  And also assuming that Girl Scouts do not require the adult to stick around.  And if the Girl Scouts go camping, are adult (non volunteers) required to go?  At all age levels?

50 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

If they have daughters they are already familiar with this idea.  As I mentioned before, the GSUSA requires any parent that camps to register.  The other difference there is that parents do not have to camp with younger scouts. 

That is the big difference. Other programs are not "Family Friendly" as BSA is now becoming. 

There is one way to currently get around the registration fee, but be registered with the BSA: Merit Badge Counselor. They need to submit an adult application, a merit badge counselor app (piece of paper listing what MB to teach and their level of expertise: Hobby, Training, Job), and  do YPT2.

3 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

That is the big difference. Other programs are not "Family Friendly" as BSA is now becoming. 

There is one way to currently get around the registration fee, but be registered with the BSA: Merit Badge Counselor. They need to submit an adult application, a merit badge counselor app (piece of paper listing what MB to teach and their level of expertise: Hobby, Training, Job), and  do YPT2.

There's also a MBC training module now that at least my council said was mandatory.

12 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

I am assuming if she wants to stick around, she has to volunteer.  And also assuming that Girl Scouts do not require the adult to stick around.  And if the Girl Scouts go camping, are adult (non volunteers) required to go?  At all age levels?

Girl Scouts do seem to have a minimum number of leaders to youth ratio that actually exceed Boy Scouts.  Correct, if she wants to stick around she has to register.  BSA you can stick around and even stay overnight with youth without registering... up to 72 hours.  

While some are complaining, this is still much more loose than many other youth organizations.  I would expect that this will tighten further as litigation and local laws continue to pass to hold youth organizations liable for protecting youth from adults.  

51 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Girl Scouts do seem to have a minimum number of leaders to youth ratio that actually exceed Boy Scouts.

It varies by age-group, and it varies by council, and more are required for field trips.  One year my fourth-graders invited the first-graders to go on a cookout with them.  The Daisy troop had to come up with *four* adults to accompany their nine girls, which was tough to get on a Thursday afternoon, when the schools had a half-day.

By juniors (grade 4) the total number of girls per adult, even for field trips, is more than one mini-van can hold, so if you get enough adults to drive, then you have enough to for the adult-to-youth ratio.   (And , at least in my council, parents must be registered and CORI'd to drive any scouts other than their own.)

2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Girl Scouts do seem to have a minimum number of leaders to youth ratio that actually exceed Boy Scouts.  Correct, if she wants to stick around she has to register.  BSA you can stick around and even stay overnight with youth without registering... up to 72 hours.  

While some are complaining, this is still much more loose than many other youth organizations.  I would expect that this will tighten further as litigation and local laws continue to pass to hold youth organizations liable for protecting youth from adults.  

That's what I hear from the parents who are involved in girl scouts too.  For example - GSUSA requires their version of the tour permit for every camping trip.  They check things like leader training.

I'll admit that from the parents I talk with, the GSUSA approach seems to be what people expect we do.