Jump to content
WisconsinMomma

Have you done the new Youth Protection Training?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MattR said:

I printed off the certificate and it clearly says "does NOT expire."

That is a little odd, as I just got one of the newer certificates from a parent to add to their adult application, and it shows the expiration date along with the date taken, in the bottom right half of the blue border.  Out of curiosity, I pulled a copy of mine from my.scouting.org and it is exactly the same, showing an expiration date of 2/7/2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

That is a little odd, as I just got one of the newer certificates from a parent to add to their adult application, and it shows the expiration date along with the date taken, in the bottom right half of the blue border.  Out of curiosity, I pulled a copy of mine from my.scouting.org and it is exactly the same, showing an expiration date of 2/7/2020.

I believe @MattR is talking about one of his certificates from 25+ years ago. Originally YPT was a one time thing. I don't remember when it went to biannually,1995 perhaps? I'll be honest, I have lost track of the number of times I've taken and taught YPT, Exporing/Venturing YPT, and camp staff YPT. It is all a blur.

Sadly YPT is needed. I have dealt with too many YP issues over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I believe @MattR is talking about one of his certificates from 25+ years ago. Originally YPT was a one time thing. I don't remember when it went to biannually,1995 perhaps? I'll be honest, I have lost track of the number of times I've taken and taught YPT, Exporing/Venturing YPT, and camp staff YPT. It is all a blur.

Sadly YPT is needed. I have dealt with too many YP issues over the years. 

Eagle, I believe you are correct.  I recall going to the first YPT in the late '80s, circa '88.  Classroom format, with a council-level trainer, about three hours.

I also agree that YPT is needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I printed from their instructions. I must admit, the one they emailed to me is identical except that it has an expiration date. Guess what? my.scouting.org has bugs in it! Who would have thought?

Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg

Edited by MattR
Remove member ID? Member IDs are not unique!
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 5:52 PM, HelpfulTracks said:

What in particular is your issue with the training?

What improvements would you recommend?

The one thing that would be great is a “skip directly to the test” portion for those of us who have done it EVERY TWO YEARS for over a decade now.  I under the need to update it.  But much like a lot of BSA training, it’s pretty straight forward and most Changes are cosmetic at best and seem to be new admins peeing on the fire plug (so to speak) so they say they did something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, MattR said:

282342011_Screenshot(4)_LI.jpg.ac8ae8d2c0f7fbab135eef4e6f83dfc9.jpg

This is what I printed from their instructions. I must admit, the one they emailed to me is identical except that it has an expiration date. Guess what? my.scouting.org has bugs in it!

 

Who would have thought :)-

 

On 9/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, MattR said:
14 minutes ago, DeanRx said:

The one thing that would be great is a “skip directly to the test” portion for those of us who have done it EVERY TWO YEARS for over a decade now.  I under the need to update it.  But much like a lot of BSA training, it’s pretty straight forward and most Changes are cosmetic at best and seem to be new admins peeing on the fire plug (so to speak) so they say they did something new.

 

I agree, there should be a skip to the test option.

What I really wish was that the YPT2 training would have come out AFTER the May 2018 Youth Protection updates, the ones that killed the Patrol Method. Reminded everyone at Roundtable last night that effective October 1st,  patrols can no longer have their own day activities without 2 registered Scouters over 21. Lots of ticked off Scouters. lots of complaints that it was not mentioned  in the new YPT2 training that just came out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

 

Who would have thought :)-

 

I agree, there should be a skip to the test option.

What I really wish was that the YPT2 training would have come out AFTER the May 2018 Youth Protection updates, the ones that killed the Patrol Method. Reminded everyone at Roundtable last night that effective October 1st,  patrols can no longer have their own day activities without 2 registered Scouters over 21. Lots of ticked off Scouters. lots of complaints that it was not mentioned  in the new YPT2 training that just came out.

 

 

Yes, I really do not understand this change... if a patrol wants to have a patrol meeting at a public park, why the need for ANY adult supervision?  Out of uniform, a group of six or so boys meeting up at the park to hang out is normal boy behavior.  But wear a scout tee shirt and discuss scout stuff... all of a sudden it requires TWO registered adults to supervise it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, DeanRx said:

Yes, I really do not understand this change... if a patrol wants to have a patrol meeting at a public park, why the need for ANY adult supervision?  Out of uniform, a group of six or so boys meeting up at the park to hang out is normal boy behavior.  But wear a scout tee shirt and discuss scout stuff... all of a sudden it requires TWO registered adults to supervise it?

In my opinion this is prep for Coed scouting. They don't want a group of say 5 boys and 1 girl to meet up in the church basement without supervision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TMSM said:

In my opinion this is prep for Coed scouting. They don't want a group of say 5 boys and 1 girl to meet up in the church basement without supervision.

I agree 110% on this. But many folks on various Facebook Groups will argue that it is  not preparing us for coed Scouting. It is to get BSA more in line with other youth organizations. But isn't it coincidence that the policy was announced 10 months and that the effective date is 10-1-18,  4 months before Scouts BSA and girls forming "linked troops."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I agree 110% on this. But many folks on various Facebook Groups will argue that it is  not preparing us for coed Scouting. It is to get BSA more in line with other youth organizations. But isn't it coincidence that the policy was announced 10 months and that the effective date is 10-1-18,  4 months before Scouts BSA and girls forming "linked troops."  

The high schoolers here have Captains practice days all the time with just the students. I don't ignore many GSS rules but having no patrol meetings without adults is one that I may just have to make a judgement call on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TMSM said:

The high schoolers here have Captains practice days all the time with just the students. I don't ignore many GSS rules but having no patrol meetings without adults is one that I may just have to make a judgement call on.

I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed regarding the overly litigious increase in YPT rules but the fact that other entities have lax rules isn't really a good argument for BSA to have the same level of apathy.

All it would take is one major injury during those practices where an adult was not present (and where having one present would have aided in the speed of medical assistance) and for a parent to sue the school for knowingly allowing students to practice without adult supervision for the above policy to change - and years later - people will wax romantically about the good ole days where kids could practice without adult supervision.

Additionally, what inappropriate action that happens at one school does not directly reflect on all schools as a whole. That isn't the same with BSA. A policy violation or inappropriate contact in one troop reflects on all troops so having a higher standard makes sense.

 

Quote

 

FORT WORTH

The parents of a Fort Worth teenager who died on a Boy Scouts backpacking trip in West Texas in June have sued the Irving-based scouting organization, alleging that a lack of supervision and safety training led to their son’s death.

Reid Comita, 15, collapsed and died of a heatstroke June 12 while on a hike at Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch in the Davis Mountains.

...

The hike violated Boy Scouts rules, the lawsuit says, because at least two adults are required to lead hikes and all hikes must include at least four people.

 



Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article171923577.html


 

 

4 hours ago, TMSM said:

In my opinion this is prep for Coed scouting. They don't want a group of say 5 boys and 1 girl to meet up in the church basement without supervision.

I don't think it takes a girl for something inappropriate to happen in such a setting.

 

Edited by MattR
fixed 1 col format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×