Scouting Magazine - betting the farm on girls

14 hours ago, gblotter said:

The September-October issue of Scouting Magazine makes it clear that BSA is betting the farm on girls.

Cover photo: Family Scouting

Letter from CSE: Justifying girls in Scouting with claims that it was all in response to popular demand (his lies just never stop)

Commissioner's Corner: How to welcome girls into Scouting

Recruiting Article: How to get more girls in Scouting with Scout Me In

Order of the Arrow Article: Welcoming girls into OA staring February 2019

Roundtable Article: Welcoming girls into a pack

Scouting FAQ: Uniform Q&A with feature photo of a girl Cub Scout

Cub Scout Corner: How to balance busy lives with a big feature photo of a girl

Ethics Article: Cell phone story focused on a teen girl

Main Article #1: Welcome to the Family - 8 page spread focused on girls

Main Article #2: A New Era of Scouting - 4 page spread about girls in Cubs

New Leader Guide: Feature photo of a female leader

Now tell me why boys should not feel they have lost their Scouting program? I predict BSA will lose more boys than girls gained for a net loss of overall membership. Faced with this reality, they'll change to program to make it even more girl-friendly. Boys are the failing segment of our society right now, and nobody cares - nobody.

Funny you mention all of these.  That was the first thing my wife said when she read the magazine.  Her response was "I thought this was going to be for both boys and girls, where are all the boys?"  

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many of us not wholly excited about the changes to the program are heavily involved in the program and have been now for many many (oh so many) years.  We are running / working in  our units day in da

Thank you @DeanRx I regret my assault on Surbaugh being a liar only because it diverted discussion away from my main point - that boys have now lost one of the few remaining programs tailored spe

In my 25+ years as a Scouter, this has happened to me multiple times in multiple councils.I have encountered the attitude that because I don't have beads, I know nothing. It doesn't matter that I am a

39 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Exact opposite in my area.  Most are against National’s half baked solution and are working to find legitimate ways to fully integrate.

And that's how some will argue that "everyone" is against it, while others will argue that "everyone" supports it.  From their own perspective, each is right.

Funny thing, I was upset that my subscription to Scouter Magazine had somehow expired; I haven't received an issue since last April. But hearing all this ... am I really missing that much? Seems I can get all I need from the website these days. :dry:

32 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

Funny thing, I was upset that my subscription to Scouter Magazine had somehow expired; I haven't received an issue since last April. But hearing all this ... am I really missing that much?

I've got one I won't be reading. Help yourself.

13 hours ago, TMSM said:

. Lets be honest that a majority of scouters and scouts (boys) hate this idea of letting the girls in this part of scouting. All of us who have been around for a while see what has already started which is a change in the program and can't wait to get out and know that for the 10,000 girls we add we will have 100,000 unhappy boys.

Let's not claim that ALL scouters "who have been around for a while" are against it, insinuating that those who support it are new to the program and don't know better. I know of quite a number of people who have been in the program for 30, 40 or more years who support this. I also know some from that vintage who are against it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

my subscription to Scouter Magazine had somehow expired; I haven't received an issue since last April.

😕 Hmmm odd that you've gone six months without something that is included with all registration fees.

All the whiners that post nastiness about National and the plot to destroy the program are far too self centered to step back and take a real look and listen to the voices that are most important, those of the youth being served.  Most of the perceived negativity is imagined, and if heaven forbid one of the terrible things predicted does happen, the few will parade it around with loud "I told you so's".  Reality is that adjustments will be made and those focused on playing the game will work to smooth it out and move forward.  They will work to help others at all times and portray cheerfulness to the larger community as they see more young people doing the game and being better examples perhaps than the nay sayers.  And yes, I am one that really did suggest girls be allowed in the program many years ago when I saw how many younger, and sometimes same age sisters on occasion came along on trips with family options.  They always were asking how come they could not go on all the adventures, and the boys seldom had much issue with it, other than the occasional sibling issues that happen anyway.  Yes, a few adults even then complained, but most of them were rarely really happy anyway; guess their glasses were dirty.

I too get tired of the negativity a few tend to blather constantly and wonder why they continue to visit or claim to be involved when they so obviously are not happy nor understand the basic tenets of Scouting.  Nothing is ever perfect, and perfection does not pertain to any of us as far as I am aware.  Pointing out errors in processes or verbal context is fine, but to label those making the errors in negative and sometimes scurrilous is certainly not Scout Like, nor even simply honorable. 

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

they so obviously are not happy nor understand the basic tenets of Scouting

So all those who oppose BSA's girl decision do not understand anything about Scouting?

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

I too get tired of the negativity a few tend to blather constantly

Or are you just blathering?

Edited by gblotter

I think mourning describes exactly the response by many of us. 

Scouting has, or had, a purpose that wasn't just a marketing slogan. We experienced the true effects of growth from our scouting experiences both as youth, and as adults. Those who belittle others for not embracing the new program are naive to understanding the power of the traditional program in helping boys develop lifelong habits of character. Those who show frustration with opposing opinions can't seem to rationalize how many of us consider their condescending tone to be un-scout-like. We don't just believe the power of practicing oath and law has on developing the noble character, we embrace it.

Barry 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I think mourning describes exactly the response by many of us. 

Scouting has, or had, a purpose that wasn't just a marketing slogan. We experienced the true effects of growth from our scouting experiences both as youth, and as adults. Those who belittle others for not embracing the new program are naive to understanding the power of the traditional program in helping boys develop lifelong habits of character. Those who show frustration with opposing opinions can't seem to rationalize how many of us consider their condescending tone to be un-scout-like. We don't just believe the power of practicing oath and law has on developing the noble character, we embrace it.

Barry 

... But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented. ... The Gospel According to Matthew

Like Mamma said, "You gotta cry with the sinners and laugh with the saints."

Still trying to figure out who is who.

2 hours ago, gblotter said:

So all those who oppose BSA's girl decision do not understand anything about Scouting?

Or are you just blathering?

Perhaps I am; one of the drawbacks of getting old and cantankerous.  Or as Winnie the Pooh says, "Oh bother".   

• Haha 1

What I am seeing around here (in my district) are the new women scouters do not have to follow the rules. They can change any aspect of a troop, pack, training program to match their own personal wishes, they do not have to follow any rules. Men are not allowed to say anything, out of fear of an emotional outburst.  Good men are being pushed out, attacked and dismissed. 

Anything a women wants is pretty much allowed and is extremely destructive ( when it is something that openly breaks the rules, and/or drives away the boys). 

and things are just getting worse and worse. . .