Youth Membership vs Adult Membership

If a Scout is to be a youth member of the Order, a Scout must be under 21. So, if a Scout is under 21, are there any options other than being a registered youth member of a Venture Crew, Explorer Post or Sea Scout Ship?  If an 18 year old who has "aged-out" of a tradition Boy Scout Troop and wants to be an Assistant Scoutmaster for that Troop, does he then have to wait until age 21 to be nominated as an adult for membership in the Order? 

As far as I know, if this person, if they are 18-21, would still be eligible for OA as a youth if they are registered as a Unit College Reserve member of a Troop. They would need to have the requisite number of camping nights. I would ask your local Lodge, just to be sure, since they would likely not be able to be elected by the active members of the Troop. Interesting question...

20 hours ago, NationalTrailEagle said:

If a Scout is to be a youth member of the Order, a Scout must be under 21. So, if a Scout is under 21, are there any options other than being a registered youth member of a Venture Crew, Explorer Post or Sea Scout Ship?  If an 18 year old who has "aged-out" of a tradition Boy Scout Troop and wants to be an Assistant Scoutmaster for that Troop, does he then have to wait until age 21 to be nominated as an adult for membership in the Order? 

A registered member of BSA who is 18-20 years old and met all requirements is eligible to be elected just as any other youth. He does not need to be nominated by the committee. He may also vote, just like the other youth. This is true if he holds the position of ASM or some other position as long as he is registered as a member of BSA.

If you would like I can try to find the specific wording from OA material.

• Like 1