Jump to content
Dixit

Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls?

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I am ready to criticize BSA National about many things, and I detest the decision about girls in Scouting. But I will defend separate handbooks. I support as much separation as possible.

What type of delusion makes one think imagery and wording equates to segregation? I've only heard such opines from feminists.

Rogue troops (be they all female, or tagging along with the boys) have been working from the existing BSHB, no problems. The could continue to do so without any revision to the BSHB ... merely an insert titled "Sisters and girlfriends, welcome!" Instructing them to form a patrol of girls, find a female adult SM/ASM, and "scout in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

What type of delusion makes one think imagery and wording equates to segregation? I've only heard such opines from feminists.

I think he wrote “separation” not “segregation”...  reminds me of the SNL skit of too much violins on TV...😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I think he wrote “separation” not “segregation”...  reminds me of the SNL skit of too much violins on TV...😀

Oh, no. I meant what I wrote. From Webster:

Quote

2b : the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group

@gblotter hopes (in vain) for some. Rogue troops hope (in vain) for none.

The printing company is probably hoping they don't have to dole out too much of a kickback to the marketing consultants.

I'm hoping for more youthful smiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what is going on with all the girls that joined in January and earned their AOL by June 1 as per the stated rules of starting a girl den?  If the Boy Scouts don't start their program until 2019 what are they doing now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ranman328 said:

Does anyone know what is going on with all the girls that joined in January and earned their AOL by June 1 as per the stated rules of starting a girl den?  If the Boy Scouts don't start their program until 2019 what are they doing now?

Hang with their pack until February or go rogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ranman328 said:

Does anyone know what is going on with all the girls that joined in January and earned their AOL by June 1 as per the stated rules of starting a girl den?  If the Boy Scouts don't start their program until 2019 what are they doing now?

As Qwazse stated, any that earn it now simply remain with their pack (assuming they don't age out) and focus on activities other than advancement.

That being stated and per the published rules at the time, only those in the 4th grade or lower were eligible for early adoption so there should have been no AOL scouts by June. Since Webelos requires 3 months and AOL requires 9 months, the first time any girl should be eligible for AOL would be September 15th.

Edited by Hawkwin
fixed typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ranman328 said:

Does anyone know what is going on with all the girls that joined in January and earned their AOL by June 1 as per the stated rules of starting a girl den?  If the Boy Scouts don't start their program until 2019 what are they doing now?

The early adopter program for Cub Scouts didn't include 5th grade girls....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

As Qwazse stated, any that earn it now simply remain with their pack (assuming they don't age out) and focus on activities other than advancement.

That being stated and per the published rules at the time, only those in the 4th grade or lower were eligible for early adoption so there should have been no AOL scouts by June. Since Webelos requires 3 months and AOL requires 9 months, the first time any girl should be eligible for AOL would be September 15th.

There shouldn't be any girls "aging out" right now (assuming that the oldest Webelos girls were in the 4th grade - which was part of the early adopter criteria), because Webelos Scouts can stay with the pack until the end of the 5th grade, if they and their parents so choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our District did not turn away anyone.  There were no restrictions on what grade girls could join.  There are photos of one Troop in my area that has a girl in it and she went to summer camp with the Troop but yet according to the District Commissioner, we have no girls registered.  I guess it wouldn't matter since there are not any girl handbooks out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that the handbooks will be separate, it emphasizes that all boy troops are still just fine and there is not a push to go “co-ed”, and it also gives girl troops their own handbook without a forced co-ed look.  As long as the requirements do not change and it’s clear that it is just pictures and language, makes sense to me.  One would think, that at some point, as the program gains experience with young women, that there might be some specific “girl topics” presented, just like our Boy Scout handbooks have done in many of the editions.  That said, if this is going to work as described, the requirements need to be the same.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/29/2018 at 7:49 PM, Ranman328 said:

Our District did not turn away anyone.  There were no restrictions on what grade girls could join.  There are photos of one Troop in my area that has a girl in it and she went to summer camp with the Troop but yet according to the District Commissioner, we have no girls registered.  I guess it wouldn't matter since there are not any girl handbooks out yet.

That's sad.  This is a hard enough challenge to overcome properly, and to have a District do whatever they want, will only make it harder in the long run.  I am glad my daughter is only a first year Webelos this year, so hopefully some of the kinks will work out by the time to cross over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 3:44 PM, gblotter said:

Different handbooks with different numbers.

Scouts Handbook for Boys, No. 34462

Scouts Handbook for Girls, No. 39006

I've been able to track down the SKUs for those publication numbers. I'm told that "the warehouse has 10,000 copies on order that have not yet been fulfilled." Posting this information here because this is the only place I was able to even find this information.

Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys, 14th edition, publication 34462, SKU 648103

Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls, 14th edition, publication 39006, SKU 648768

On 8/28/2018 at 6:37 PM, Jameson76 said:

The messaging concerning Boy Scouts (AKA Scouts BSA)  has been IDENTICAL programs, no changes to the program, the same program for all, etc etc.   Step on up and get your Eagle.  Now there are in fact two handbooks, a Girls Handbook and a Boys Handbook.  One would assume actually 4 handbooks, 2 for Girls English and Spanish and 2 for Boys English and Spanish.

What message does that send?  Basically subliminally telegraphing that there are in fact differences.  There probably are not any other than the photos, but is that in fact the case (one would hope that is the case).  Again, even another botched message from the tone deaf crowd at National.

I see the necessity of the Spanish vs English books. I also agree with the point that there should be a single book. Perhaps it was done in order to make the boys and girls both accept the book more readily. Boys, especially when they are 11 - 13, don't want to read books by girls or that feature girls or do anything with girls. Take the Harry Potter author; Joanne went by J. K. Rowling because the publishers asked to user her initials in order to disguise her gender and open the book up to young (and apparently finicky) readers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Info being shared in one of the girls’ troop FB groups is that the new book for girls will be available later this month. Ditto for the uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shortridge said:

Info being shared in one of the girls’ troop FB groups is that the new book for girls will be available later this month. Ditto for the uniforms.

Any idea when the 14th ed for for boys will be available?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Any idea when the 14th ed for for boys will be available?

 

Someone said later in the year, but IIRC that wasn’t from a National staffer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×