Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really??!?!?  Are you serious?  If they changed the Boy Scout book to add some pictures of girls and changed some pronouns you would have went nuts claiming they “changed the program”.  They are addin

I'm actually glad to hear they are publishing a separate handbook for girls. They more separation between the two sexes, the better. People have already been pushing too hard to fully integrate the tw

But but...it's all the same...They promised Except.... Then they added the linked troops, then the early adopter units sort of looked the other way for girl only dens, then the councils look

I mostly agree with BSA's direction, but I do cringe when I hear there will be a scoutbook for girls and another for boys.  Even if it's the same except pronouns, I know many scouters will be spending time to see if they are really the same.  There is just too much temptation to drift with different content.

1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

I mostly agree with BSA's direction, but I do cringe when I hear there will be a scoutbook for girls and another for boys.  Even if it's the same except pronouns, I know many scouters will be spending time to see if they are really the same.  There is just too much temptation to drift with different content.

I’ve also heard there may be different info about hygiene for girls while camping, etc.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:45 PM, Kryten said:

And it begins. So much for not changing the program. why else would you need 2 handbooks?

Anatomical differences, that are useful to know in field sanitation, for starters. 

Edited by John-in-KC

The split Handbook is important to 

a. Show the die-hard boys-only supporters that the programs are separate

b. Show the girls’ advocates that the programs are identical

c. Show the female Scouts that they are included and valued by featuring images of Scouts doing Scouting things

d. Include female-specific information as noted

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, shortridge said:

a. Show the die-hard boys-only supporters that the programs are separate

Come next month, anything larger than a troop event will be de facto coed (and depending on your troop, everything might be coed). I don't see how anyone could be lulled into believing the programs are separate. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Come next month, anything larger than a troop event will be de facto coed (and depending on your troop, everything might be coed). I don't see how anyone could be lulled into believing the programs are separate. 

On the unit level, they will be, as much as the CO wants. There are plenty of boys-only weeks at summer camp, and district events are entirely optional to attend for those boys units who want to avoid contamination.

1 hour ago, shortridge said:

On the unit level, they will be, as much as the CO wants. There are plenty of boys-only weeks at summer camp, and district events are entirely optional to attend for those boys units who want to avoid contamination.

I suppose that depends on your council. Assuming both of our camps stay open, both will be coed (The registration forms are eerily empty and there's talk of compressing everyone into one. My theory is that it might have something to do with council having no published plan in the leader guide about showers, latrines, etc. Hopefully all the absent troops are planning individual summer camps.)

On 1/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, fidian said:

Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys, 14th edition, publication 34462, SKU 648103

Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls, 14th edition, publication 39006, SKU 648768

An email was sent out and the Scout Shops will hold the new Scouts BSA materials (handbooks, shirts, etc.) until February 1st as the official release date.

7 hours ago, fidian said:

An email was sent out and the Scout Shops will hold the new Scouts BSA materials (handbooks, shirts, etc.) until February 1st as the official release date.

Do you have a copy of the email you can post? That contradicts what National staffers are telling people.

1 hour ago, shortridge said:

Do you have a copy of the email you can post? That contradicts what National staffers are telling people.

Negative. I have no access to that email. I simply talked to someone staffing the Scout Shop.

Will the Scout Shops be taking advance orders for these new handbooks?  My local Scout Shop is notorious for understocking.

Also - has there been any discussion about an electronic version of the handbook like we originally had in 2009 but subsequently was taken down from the app stores?

I noticed that while the new handbook is not yet available, a bunch of new books are available on ScoutShop.org, the new Troop Leader Guidebook, the new SPL book and the new PL book.

Edited by Jahaza