Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really??!?!?  Are you serious?  If they changed the Boy Scout book to add some pictures of girls and changed some pronouns you would have went nuts claiming they “changed the program”.  They are addin

I'm actually glad to hear they are publishing a separate handbook for girls. They more separation between the two sexes, the better. People have already been pushing too hard to fully integrate the tw

But but...it's all the same...They promised Except.... Then they added the linked troops, then the early adopter units sort of looked the other way for girl only dens, then the councils look

Very interesting.  That document referred to "The Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys and Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls"

Makes it sound like they will have separate handbooks.   How much will they differ?   Just the pictures and the pronouns?   Or also in the content?

We got a sneak peek of the two books at the area conference earlier this month. The difference is the color of the cover, the pictures inside one has girls in the pictures one Boys in pictures, and pronouns are changed from he to she him to her Etc.

My understanding is that they had thought of doing a combined book however certain people complained that with both boys and girls in all photographs it appeared to be co-ed not Separated by gender. So we end up with two books.

Don't read anything more into having two books.

• Upvote 1

This whole thing precipitated because the GS/USA narrowed its lane to deny many girls some desirable programs.

I would rather endure the semblance of co-ed if it lets the one "side" see that the other "side" is playing from the same book.

If Venturing is any indication, girls in Scouts USA will avoid any whiff of being pandered to.

Any girls who ask me to SM their troop better be prepared to only by the "boy's" book.

• Downvote 1
13 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

There is a lot to complain about but having a separate book (as long as gender is the only delta) makes sense given how they are introducing the program as non coed. 

Christmas is coming I'm betting our troop's white-elephant gift exchange will have at least one Scouts Handbook for Girls  wrapped in cammo duct tape. I'm betting our more rugged boys will trade for it.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Why then was there no concern about Cub books being co-ed in terms of photos and representations? Those packs/dens are also supposed to be separate, right?

It's such a weird thing to bother with. Either it's a problem or it's not. And yet we get this seemingly split perspective on it from National. 

Or maybe that makes total sense considering the source. 😅

• Upvote 1

A marketing ploy?

As I remember back in the day, Quaker Oats had the same cereal packaged as Quisp and Quake. They thought their ad campaign of which was better would have consumers buying both to compare, i.e. double sales. In the end, the different same cereals became the one cereal Captain Crunch.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Really??!?!?  Are you serious?  If they changed the Boy Scout book to add some pictures of girls and changed some pronouns you would have went nuts claiming they “changed the program”.  They are adding a girls book with picture of girls and adding “she” instead of “he”.  They did this in a separate book so they don’t upset the existing boys and their leaders... and that is now an issue?   WOW!  

Perhaps we need to add trigger warnings to any BSA announcements going forward so existing leaders can go to their safe spaces prior to hearing such things like there is a scouts BSA book with pictures of girls or uniform pants that come out and are sized for girls. Oh, the humanity! 😀

There is a lot to complain about but having a separate book (as long as gender is the only delta) makes sense given how they are introducing the program as non coed.

I am very serious.  

The messaging concerning Boy Scouts (AKA Scouts BSA)  has been IDENTICAL programs, no changes to the program, the same program for all, etc etc.   Step on up and get your Eagle.  Now there are in fact two handbooks, a Girls Handbook and a Boys Handbook.  One would assume actually 4 handbooks, 2 for Girls English and Spanish and 2 for Boys English and Spanish.

What message does that send?  Basically subliminally telegraphing that there are in fact differences.  There probably are not any other than the photos, but is that in fact the case (one would hope that is the case).  Again, even another botched message from the tone deaf crowd at National.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1