To be or not allowed to be...that is the question.

I have been asked to consider becoming the Scoutmaster for our Troop upon the upcoming retirement of the current Scoutmaster. As part of the general discussions that have taken place within the group of ASM's, a question was raised as to my eligibility to become SM. I am British and do not hold US citizenship and therefore, according to one of the ASM's, I am ineligible to be SM.

I have looked for some indication regarding whether or not this is a problem, but have found none. Does anyone know if there are any specific requirements, particularly as they relate to nationality?

I don't believe I have ever seen anything that stated you had to be a citizen of the U.S. to be in BSA or a S.M. I say go for it get the training necessary and train the boys to lead. Take Woodbadge if you have not yet already and you could as wise as us OWLS!!

Thanks for your replies...I am glad that this is the case (I figured it probably was).

I am still considering the opportunity that has been presented. I want to be sure that I can give as much as possible to the role and am trying to consider the different ways in which this would be possible, especially given the travel required for my job. ( I spend about 2 1/2 weeks out of 4 out of town, but always home at the weekends).

Perhaps I could ask a supplemental question...

Do any of you have any experience of dealing with being a SM and helping to organize and run a reasonably active troop, whilst at the same time being out of town, but not out of contact, for several days a week?

With the communication tools available today it shouldn't be a problem. Scheduling PLCs and committee meetings may be a factor but now days there are scheduling conflicts no matter when you try to have those meetings.

Best of luck on your new adventure!

BW

Citizenship is "required" but caveated. On page 3 of The Scoutmaster Handbook the minimum requirements for SM (or SA) are listed as:

1) Be at least 21 years of age

2) Be an American Citizen

3) Agree to live by the Scout Oath and Law

4) Be approved by the troop's CO

That is the source many may quote who believe US citizenship is a hard requirement. However, just to make things interesting the BSA also states:

The citizenship requirement listed for leadership positions is understood as follows:

"For citizens of the United States, individuals serving in any official relationship with the Boy Scouts of America shall subscribe to the statement of religious principles, and the Scout Oath and Law."

"Adults who are not citizens of the United States, but who reside within the country, may register with the Boy Scouts of America in any capacity if they agree to abide by the Scout Oath and Law, to respect and obey the laws of the United States of America, and to subscribe to the statement of religious principle."

(Article VIII, Section 2, Clause I of the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America)

I'm no lawyer but my interpretation is that if a BSA troop in Germany or Korea for example had a German or Korean citizen who worked on a US Army base, had a son who was a US citizen and a member of a troop wanted to be a leader (den leader, Scoutmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster, etc.) he could not be because he 1) was not a US citizen AND 2) does not reside in the US.

My question to KoreaScouter and others, I'm assuming that a US military base located in a foreign country is NOT considered "within the country" (i.e. the USA). Do you concur?

FOG may have field day with this!(This message has been edited by acco40)

"Do any of you have any experience of dealing with being a SM and helping to organize and run a reasonably active troop, whilst at the same time being out of town, but not out of contact, for several days a week?"

I served as Cubmaster for our Pack during the time that I was travelling overseas on projects. It comes down to good set of parents and supporting leaders. Staying in contact would help tremendously and if of course the Pack (in your case the Troop) does not mind.

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

BSA in foreign countries is the reason for the resides in the US part of the regulation. I believe a non-citizen cannot join an overseas BSA unit. Just like if there was a British Scout Troop organized in Washington DC for dependents of embassy personnel, they most likely would not be allow to enroll Americans. It would be considered poaching.

Good catch Acco. While the answer for our poster is still the same, you are correct that a non national living outside the USA cannot join the BSA. It never occurred to me that such a provision would be needed.

BW

For clarification; I am British, living in the U.S. being asked to take on the role of SM for a BSA Troop.

acco40, from what you have said, it would seem that I fall into the "as long as you agree with BSA policy" category. This I do, so I'm thinking there should be no problem. (At least from an official standpoint!)

onehour, I'm glad someone else has faced the issue and been successful

I just remembeedr hearing that non-American can join an overseas BSA unit if he is a temporary resident of that country he is in. A child of British military family in Korea could join the base BSA unit if there was no British Scout unit nearby.

As a scout in the Trans-Atlantic Council while my dad was serving in Germany, we had a German kid that joined out troop. I don't know about Adult leaders, but there are definitely non-US citizen boys that have been registered into BSA troops overseas.

CE

WARNING WARNING WARNING Going off on a tangent - We just lost the 17th Puerto Rican US Army soldier in Iraq. Unfortunately, our military is made up of far too many "kids" from rural, poor, and foreign citizens seeking to improve their lives. I don't mean that to disparage those folks, they make fine soldier, marines, sailors, etc. but our military doesn't accurately reflect our society. The white middle and upper middle class isn't represented in numbers as well as it should be IMO. The solution is not to ban those folks from the military or the BSA but I believe our politicians would be more judicious in utilizing our nations youth if it was filled more with the youth of the UMC. Back in the day, the Kennedys, Kerrys, Roosevelts, Eisenhowers, and sons of many a privileged felt a sense of honor and commitment; much more so than today.