Hi all.  I received my notification just recently that I was selected to help the IST team.  Being a single adult, with no children of my own, that helps the scout program to give back to an organization that has given me so much, it is the only way I can attend.  I could use some help.  What are some good tips, knowledge or wisdom that you can share for attending a Jamboree of this size?  I haven't done National yet so this is the first big event within the scouting program.  I'm just looking for some tips to have a great experience at the WSJ while I technically can't participate in a lot of activities, but my main goal in working to to help give them a great program and experience.

Let me know what you have!

Take earplugs.

I'm not being a negative nelly.

Take earplugs. It'll be noisy of that I have no doubt. You might be working shifts. The tents will be packed close. Someone near you will snore. 

Take some things you can swap with friends you make, badges, scarves.

Make sure your kit will keep you warm/cool/dry for that long. So a comfy sleep mat, the right sleeping bag. Don't expect to have a lot of time to do laundry.

Basically, look after yourself so you can look after others.

Then it's the obvious, a good scout smiles and whistles in all circumstances, as the man said. A friend of mine went to the Swedish Jamboree and went all bright eyed when he talked about the great team he was working with and what a great time they'd had. He was working on refuse collection. For 10 days he was a binman, and loved it, because of the people he met. Basically, throw yourself into it and see what happens. Should be good.

Just now, ianwilkins said:

Take earplugs.

I'm not being a negative nelly.

Take earplugs. It'll be noisy of that I have no doubt. You might be working shifts. The tents will be packed close. Someone near you will snore. 

Take some things you can swap with friends you make, badges, scarves.

Make sure your kit will keep you warm/cool/dry for that long. So a comfy sleep mat, the right sleeping bag. Don't expect to have a lot of time to do laundry.

Basically, look after yourself so you can look after others.

Then it's the obvious, a good scout smiles and whistles in all circumstances, as the man said. A friend of mine went to the Swedish Jamboree and went all bright eyed when he talked about the great team he was working with and what a great time they'd had. He was working on refuse collection. For 10 days he was a binman, and loved it, because of the people he met. Basically, throw yourself into it and see what happens. Should be good.

and don't forget the sunscreen

It may sound basic but make sure you get enough sleep.

The days will be long and busy and you'll probably have the opportunity to take part in all kinds of stuff 24 hours a day. If you're not getting enough sleep in though you'll probably find yourself keeling over 3 or 4 days in! That doesn't meen being a recluse. Far from it. This is your chance to meet like minded people from across the planet. Take the opportunities! Just don't be that scout who ends up in hospital after a few days with exhaustion.

Take a set of flip flops for the showers. You won't regret it!

A particularly ridiculous hat is always fun, helps break the ice with people especially when you can't speak each other's language.

Take an open mind. You'll find that scouts round the world get up to the strangest things. Find out what they are and bring them home with you.

Eat! Eat everything put in front of you. Not just for the calories but the chance to try food from across the world. You may get a bit fat but it's well worth it!

18 hours ago, Cambridgeskip said:

Eat! Eat everything put in front of you. Not just for the calories but the chance to try food from across the world. You may get a bit fat but it's well worth it!

At the last one I got back reports of having to get up at 6am to get into an hour long queue for breakfast, so yes, the advice to eat whatever you see whenever you see it is good, you won't necessarily know when what and how big the next meal is.