Service Certificate 1926

I am going to try and copy it so that I can manipulate it to have blanks where specific names and dates are.  Then it could have such a use but keep most of the historical integrity.  I will have to scan the back and share it also.  It has a form to list all the awards of the scout, and this one has all the dates for his ranks and merit badges listed.  It is odd to me that in my half century of finding stuff, this is the first version of this I have ever seen.  Like many of the old certificates, it is somehow more personal to the intent and recognition and also just simply better designed.  Since the cert is actually sealed in the frame I am not sure how a scan will come out, and do not want to open it up.

Edited by skeptic

Maybe ... create a document with a 3x3 table.  The center cell will be the text "...according to the records of the Boy Scouts of America..." with editable fields that you create anew. The bordering cells, which may be merged, will be jpg's of the original document art. The jpg's will be from cropped photos or scans. 

Some problems - glass reflection (you said you did not want to remove from frame), keeping scale,  single color background...

Plan B: find a sharp Graphics Arts major. 

Others here likely have better suggestions. 

Interesting project. 

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

Very nice.  One must remember that such artwork was hand drawn, inked and then offset printed.  Such a job might be several days in production.  

My father was a "show card artist" way before he met mom.  He's the fellow who would letter. ink, illustrate the advertisements in the store windows, or proof for the theatrical posters. I have some of his original art and lettering style books, also his stylos (pens ) nibs and brushes.....    Fancy calligraphy?   More's the pity , mere printing legibly is hard to come by these days.....

• 2 years later...