How to comply ? New G2SS, YPT and (gasp) females !!

Anyone know of any additional guidance from national on how to abide by the rules and still run a unit?

1) regardless of any personal feelings on BSA4G, why is there specific requirements for at least ONE adult leader to be female if female youth are involved?  There has never been a requirement for a minimum of one male leader when a all boys unit meets / camps / etc... I had a den mother and assistant den mother and it was never questioned.  What about gay youth?  Do we need to have a least one gay adult leader if any youth in the unit are openly gay?

2) What about "family scouting"?  If patrol has a patrol meeting at the park (all male unit) and sister tags along (who happens to be a female registered youth)... can the patrol still meet?  Or must there be at least one female registered leader?

3) As we are all mandatory reporters now... what liability do we assume if we do not report?  If a scout uses a racial / gender / orientation slur... can we correct them, discuss why its inappropriate? or must it be reported to council?  Because if it goes to council, the youth will likely be kicked out... plain and simple.  And its not a stretch to think that youth (especially boys) aged 11 to 17 might slip up once in awhile ?!?!  I've physically jumped between scouts on more than one occasion to prevent / quell a disagreement that was about to become physical.  Do I call council claiming assault now?  Do we call the cops?

Seems like we now operate in an environment where youth are expected to be perfect and never mess up... and as leaders we are on the hook to report it instead of teaching / coaching / allowing youth to learn from their mistakes...

Anyone know how to navigate these waters?  Because it used to be fairly clear... BSA national seems to only stir up the muddy bottom and then stand back in silence.

Dean

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BSA, most of whose employees literally do not know what the Patrol Metod is, have now abandoned it, and so have abandoned Boy Scouting.

Well, you could say you're gender fluid and during scouting events you identify as female.

I don't think the "mandate" is changing for either gender.  The rule on adult supervision (and I looked at the new one, which I think takes effect in October) says two leaders must be "at" the activit

No additional guidance.

1) No one sees a problem with the double standard, i.e 2 women with boys is OK but not 2 men with girls.

2) According to G2SS, yes one of the 2 registered Scouters must be female since it is a Scouting function. Patrols can no longer do day activities without adults.

3) Good question.  Some of the things now considered abuse, would get laughed at by authorities in my day, heck I think even police would be laughing at being called in to arrest someone for name calling.

BSA DOES NOT DECIDE WHO IS A "MANDATORY REPORTER" FOR PURPOSES OF THE LAW..

Facing the realities of some of the more absurd aspects of the pronouncements of the Safety Bubble, BSA has ruled that a child's parent is, ipso facto, a "registered Scouter," for purposes of meetings with a Merit Badge Counselor.

Hopefully, there will be more push back against Safety by the rest of BSA scouting.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

BSA, most of whose employees literally do not know what the Patrol Metod is, have now abandoned it, and so have abandoned Boy Scouting.

Been that way for a while. One of the reasons I quit. I was part of a pilot program for National Supply, and my boss has 0 experience as a youth i the program. EVERTHING I proposed was questioned, "discussed," and reviewed. I was bad.

10 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

How I wish it were not so.  😭  Scouting, primarily the BSA variant, was a big part of my life since 1954. 

Mine too, since "67.    Although there were  breaks of a few years when the kinder were infants and getting enough sleep was but a fond memory.  Right now I'm looking at life after scouting and wondering what to do with it.   Half the stuff in the garage is camping gear and OA regalia.  Even when I go for a walk in the woods I find myself looking at shed snake skins or cast deer antlers and thinking " That would be a good thing to take back and show the sco.... never mind"   

The thing that has stood out to me as far as compliance is the requirement that all Pack leaders must have the new YPT done or Packs can't recharter.  As Pack Trainer for the past 3 years I couldn't even get some leaders to do the basic online training for their positions, and the new YPT is much more difficult.   Leaders will lose their positions and a lot less Packs will be "100%," even on paper.

15 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Hopefully, there will be more push back against Safety by the rest of BSA scouting.

Ever consider how would this look to parents of youth who might want to join scouting if it was plastered as a headline?    It isn't 1954 anymore.   Wow, just wow...

Richard, if your idea of required "safety" results as is is doing, in destroying BSA Boy Scouting, there will be nothing for parents to "look" at.  "Your attitude is beyond unhelpful.

It is your rule that says the presence of one or more parents is not good enough to insure the safety of their children at a Scouting activity - must have registered Scouters, who unlike parents, have no legal status ipso facto  vis-a-vis the child.  Wow, just wow!  😵

33 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Ever consider how would this look to parents of youth who might want to join scouting if it was plastered as a headline?    It isn't 1954 anymore.   Wow, just wow...

Im my experence when the rules that National imposes are explained to the parents of prospective scouts, most roll their eyes,  some ask if we actually follow these all these absurd,  ridiculous rules( their words), and there are always a few mutters of " You gotta be *@/&ing kidding me"

So yeah, I think it might look O.K. to quite a few people.

Edited by Oldscout448
32 minutes ago, RichardB said:

I have had to explain some G2SS rules to parents and Cubs. Some think it is a joke. Other roll their eyes.

One local troop I know about - confronted by the 72 Hour rule already imposed by the Safety Bubble - simply did a couple of days at Summer Camp without complying.  That is, parents stayed over 72 hours, registered or not, and the camp staff knew, agreeing it was a "stupid" rule. 

Silly rules create disrespect for rules generally and for rule-makers.  Sociology 101.

5 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

One local troop I know about - confronted by the 72 Hour rule already imposed by the Safety Bubble - simply did a couple of days at Summer Camp without complying.  That is, parents stayed over 72 hours, registered or not, and the camp staff knew, agreeing it was a "stupid" rule. 

Why is it a stupid rule?  I’ve worked in public schools that required background checks for parent volunteers/field trip chaperones— honestly, when we began to do background checks, the things some parents were convicted of shocked me.  And these were people volunteering to chaperone and be background checked!  I would not knowingly send my son to a camp that flouted this rule.

I also can’t see the benefit to not registering adults.  Running background checks strikes me as something with no real downsides.

• Upvote 1