How to comply ? New G2SS, YPT and (gasp) females !!

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

... And the buddy system, which you mention, also seems to assume that there will be times when an adult is not right there - otherwise, why would you need a buddy system?  (Not counting the waterfront, where you need constant adult supervision AND the buddy system, but that's different.)  The bottom line is that line-of-sight by adults with all Scouts at all times is impossible, and is not what the BSA means by "present." 

From the aquatics safety https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss02/regarding supervisory personnel

Every possible contingency will not be covered with a hard-and-fast rule, and rules are poor substitutes for experience. Ultimately, each responsible adult leader must personally decide if he or she understands the risk factors associated with the activity and is sufficiently experienced and well-informed to make the rational decisions expected of a “qualified supervisor.” The BSA training programs listed above help provide the skills, experience, and guidance for making such a determination.

Not sure how much of this quote could apply to YPT. But, none of us should be strangers to BSA telling us "At the end of the day, your judgment is needed to make this work."

Edited by qwazse
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BSA, most of whose employees literally do not know what the Patrol Metod is, have now abandoned it, and so have abandoned Boy Scouting.

Well, you could say you're gender fluid and during scouting events you identify as female.

I don't think the "mandate" is changing for either gender.  The rule on adult supervision (and I looked at the new one, which I think takes effect in October) says two leaders must be "at" the activit

4 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Not sure how much of this quote could apply to YPT. But, none of us should be strangers to BSA telling us "At the end of the day, your judgment is needed to make this work."

I think the "unit leader's judgment rule" works well at the margins.  But the issue of whether it is enough for the leaders to be in or near the campsite while the summer-camping Scouts are elsewhere at activities or merit badge sessions, OR whether each Scout must be in line-of-sight of a leader (two leaders?) literally at all times, is not at the margins, it is more like the Grand Canyon.   The line-of-sight-at-all-times rule would never work and I don't think that is how the BSA interprets its own 2-deep-leadership rule.  And if someone feels that the requirement of just being generally "there" is less effective in preventing YP violations, well, that's true.  We make tradeoffs.  There is always a balance between safety and the ability to do an activity.  The only activity that is truly 100% safe is an activity that gets cancelled.  If the activity takes place, there is always a risk.  I suppose the BSA could require that every Scout wear a body-cam at all times, with a live feed to his/her parents, then things would be a lot safer.  Just kidding, of course.  But maybe I shouldn't even joke about that, someone may get ideas.