10,000 Girl Cub Scouts

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

The GSUSA Troop at that grade fell apart and many of them joined Cub Scouts.

To be clear, the fourth grade GSUSA Troop at our school fell apart... which is why we see so many from that grade in our Pack.

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not a professional. I’m an old time retired scoutmaster with passion for the traditional patrol method program. I’ve been very critical of the recent changes, including admitting gays and transsex

Turns out the SE took care of it for me. The entire council staff had a sit down. Apparently the volunteers are important customers. Things have improved dramatically in the past week. Thanks for aski

I googled "conditional scouters" and "conditional scouter" (both in quotes) and got 6 hits, all of which are on this forum. Bing showed fewer. It seems to have started with a reference to something th

Posted Images

Just now, Eagle1993 said:

To be clear, the fourth grade GSUSA Troop at our school fell apart... which is why we see so many from that grade in our Pack.

Weirdly, we have the same situation; the 4th and 2nd grade GSUSA troops folded so several of those girls transferred over.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Roughly 50% of the new Scouts joining our pack are girls and our total Pack size will be at its highest it’s been in 10+ years.

@Eagle1993, I know hard #s won't come in until rechartering but: are you getting more boys than you did last year?

35 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@Eagle1993, I know hard #s won't come in until rechartering but: are you getting more boys than you did last year?

We added a lot of boys the last 2 years and have around 25% of all boys in the school in our Pack.  We are adding a few more boys but I expect their number (Tiger and above) will be flat to last year.  Last year we had 8 Lions at JSN but only 4 this year (no girls).  Parents of the four were discussing how to get more to join.

Overall, I think we will be flat with boys (pending Lions) and seeing growth from the girls.  As you said, nothing official until recharter and we have a fairly decent size group of minimally engaged scouts... so I could see some of them dropping.

If the results are similar to those here at Philmont who came from all over the country for the museum dedication, there are a lot of girls joining and generally more new boys than before as well.  Enthusiasm is pretty high from this crowd of about 1000 on that topic.

We just had our sign-up night and got 14 new Scouts, of which I believe 4 were girls. 2 Lions, 1 Wolf, and 1 Webelos. I expect we'll get a few more in the coming weeks (people take home the information and sometimes sign up later). Last year we signed up 5 new Scouts total, so definitely a nice increase over last year. 

On 9/12/2018 at 6:50 AM, malraux said:

Weirdly, we have the same situation; the 4th and 2nd grade GSUSA troops folded so several of those girls transferred over.

Most of the girls in my district that have joined packs were former Girl Scouts. Either the parents were disgruntled with the GSUSA or the troop folded.