In our troop, the committee pays for the SM/ASM's food on campouts, the only gas reimbursement goes to the SM/ASM that pulls the trailer. The rest of use get to deduct the 14 cents per mile on our taxes.

I'm not an accountant nor do I play one.

But,

I believe the $0.35/mile is for unreimbursed business expenses. It may be up to $0.37/mile.

The $0.14/mile is for travel expenses incurred while performing work for a charity. In, fact as I recall, one of the examples in one tax preparation document I saw was tranporting scouts on weekends.

Perhaps a "real" accountant can verify the above.

SA

The Troop I serve makes a budget for outings including gas and any Troop gear needed if we do not already have it or can obtain it on loan from a benovolent benifactor in town. Personal gear is just that personal gear. The Troop just can't afford to outfit every member with gear. We do fund Troop T shirts after a fundraiser and the PLC has decided what that fundrasier is to be used for. On outings everyone pays what the cost would be for the group the more that participate the lower the individual cost including gas for those driving.

Now as far as the extra's go I have personally donated most of the equipment the Troop has in it's quartermaster locker except for the tents they boys held a fundraiser for. For me it was a pleasure as the enjoyment the boys have had and the look on their eyes when they saw the equipment santa left them was far more worthwile than the tax deduction I received from the IRS for my volunteer time that I give to Scouting. In fact, most trips I fill the tank myself and then forget to write the mileage down so I do not get the deduction any way but the other benifit is far more worthwile.

Our Troop is able to cover the cost of gas for road trips but our drivers aren't anal about it. We adult leaders pay for our share of groceries and costs like everyone else that attends an activity. We split the cost of advanced training for Scouts (ie Council JLT) and Scouters but I've never heard of an adult submitting a receipt.

Re: that Committee members' remark about hobbies; perhaps that's why he serves as a Committee member and we serve as SMs and ASMs. While Committee members are valued and necessary, I'd have a tough time not telling him where to get off on this one...

buffalo

Respectfully: ease up on slamming committee members. I serve as our troop's CC because we were pretty deep on SM and ASMs. Also, some of our committee members are just as hard working and more involved than some of our ASMs. To imply that a scouters opinion shouldn't be respected because of their position is pretty short-sighted.

CE

Yo Bison Boy, remember that the troop needs a committee but doesn't need a single ASM.

BTW, Scouting fits the textbook definition of a hobby.

hobby (hb) noun

plural hobbies

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

I agree that trying to say that because someone holds a certain position makes him more worthy then anyone else is just plain out and out wrong.

There are people that because I know them and about things that are going on in their lives that I think makes them special: The Cubscout Leader with five children. The 70 year old Commissioner looking after his mother with Alzheimer's disease.

In the pre Her Who Must Be Obeyed days I had a lot more time to devote to Scouting. When I was busy trying to climb my way out of a mountain of debt and earn a few bucks, I had less time then I do now.

Surely it comes down to "Do my best"?

Eamonn

over here the standard seems to be (Groups opt fot this - there is no rule) that the parent committee find the dollars for leader training and for the annual registration fee.

Some groups also pay an initial kit out fee to get the leader into unifrom. Ours does not however they did pay for half my Jamboree fee so that I could watch over their children. That I see as a pat on the back for three ears of service. I do not demand it but I really do appreciate it. Trouble is if it baecomes a norm (personally I think it should) then it becomes a payment that loses its value baecause it is reduced to level of a fee for service. I prefer the pat on the back analogy.

Scouting is not a hobby but a life style. Thats all I have to say on that.

Scouters should pay their own way. Once it is no longer fun, its time to move on.

Scouters should be reembursed for certain things which are purchased for the unit, such as gas if transporting scouts in addition to you and your son(s) or program material that benefits the whole group. These guidelines need to be established with the committee-thats what they are there for.

In my unit (I mean the unit which allows me to serve it), the adults pay their own way totally. We always eat well, partly because we can afford it and partly to provide an example that you don't have to always eat PopTarts and canned spaghetti-O's. For summer camp, we are allowed two free adults, but if more want to come and help, we split the cost equally among all of us. We pay our own gas and take the IRS deduction. If I get audited, I'll probably have to give it back due to poor recordkeeping, but I'll take that risk. Fundraisers go to the Scout's accounts and for awards, etc. Most of the gear has been purchased by myself (CC) and the SM and ASM, and should the Troop fold, we reserve the right to retain ownership.